PDA

View Full Version : Doom III on DVD.?

demonized
11-11-02, 05:38 AM
what do you guys think? Any possibility?

stncttr908
11-11-02, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't doubt it. That alpha was 380MB for a few small levels, imagine the space for all of the textures? Instead of spanning many CDs like UT2K3, they might just put it out on DVD because the targeted market will most likely have a DVD-ROM in their machines.

nin_fragile14
11-11-02, 07:42 AM
It'd be nice, but the advent of cheap CD-RWs has caused the general public to abandon DVD drives.

skipparoo
11-11-02, 07:47 AM
Actually, just the RAR file was 380MB. Extract that biznatch and you have just over a gigabyte worth of files. I doubt Doom 3 will be released on DVD at all. id Software has already limited the user base by utilizing todays advanced technologies. Releasing the game on DVD would only limit the number of users more, since most may not have a DVD drive. No, Doom will be like UT2003, and will be printed on 3 or 4 CDs, maybe more.

-Skippy

intercede007
11-11-02, 10:42 AM
I'd pay the extra cost of having it on multiple cd's.

I have yet to come across a good reason to have a DVD drive in this machine, and I think there are alot of other users out there who feel the same way. Like skipparoo said, it would just be alienating that many more potential buyers.

The Baron
11-11-02, 11:01 AM
Might be both.

But remember, the giant rar file was all uncompressed textures and sounds.... compress it, and it would probably be closer to 300 megs TOTAL instead of a gig.

|JuiceZ|
11-11-02, 11:02 AM
I think were getting close but we're not there yet, CDR media is just so cheap. I think they'll just span it across across multiple cds just like UT2k3 and others. A DVD vers would sound more viable if they release anotha' special edition of the Doom Series after the intial release.

SavagePaladin
11-11-02, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by intercede007
I'd pay the extra cost of having it on multiple cd's.

I have yet to come across a good reason to have a DVD drive in this machine, and I think there are alot of other users out there who feel the same way. Like skipparoo said, it would just be alienating that many more potential buyers.

Isn't that you have yet to find a reason, THE reason that noone uses DVDs?

If there were a way to get people to nab DVD drives, then I don't doubt more games would come out using it.

And I'd say 'Awesome' cause DVD drives transfer faster, among other things.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-11-02, 01:20 PM
Doesn't it also have uncompressed sound files and textures? I'd guess that that makes the size alot bigger also. Multiple CDs is a given, putting it on DVD would hurt id. Not everyone has a DVD drive.

demonized
11-11-02, 03:55 PM
Where did you get Dirext X 9?

SavagePaladin
11-11-02, 07:01 PM
I think you can get the latest beta at nvplanet.com, but I don't know why you would.

|JuiceZ|
11-11-02, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
I think you can get the latest beta at nvplanet.com, but I don't know why you would.

yea dx and beta's don't mix very well, although the latest leaked vers is an RC though....

SavagePaladin
11-11-02, 07:35 PM
beta 3 worked great on my machine. never tried this RC

thcdru2k
11-11-02, 07:44 PM
using dx 9 rc0 right now, and all dx betas 1-3. they all worked perfectly. i think i gained performance on pixel shader at 3dmark..but it probably was detonator change that caused it.

DoinkyBottoms
11-11-02, 09:13 PM
I read an interview with John Carmack that discussed that very thing and the answer was a fairly solid no. It was several months ago so it might have been with a different person, but I do remember that it was concluded that Doom would be on CD.

On a side note, when I installed DX 9 beta3 I couldn't run 3DMark anymore. Everything else worked fine.

thcdru2k
11-11-02, 09:41 PM
most likely you don't have the latest 3dmark patch. 330 se. it fixes incompatibilitys with future dx versions.

DoinkyBottoms
11-11-02, 09:43 PM
Hey thanks! I wish I had heard about that before I formatted to get rid of DX9. Oh well...

LORD-eX-Bu
11-11-02, 10:01 PM
Well, I can run 3dmark, but can't do nature test. It locks up on it. Other than that, everything works perfect.:D