PDA

View Full Version : Can valve do this? (Regarding release of HL2)

aAv7
10-18-04, 03:11 PM
Seeing as some stores open @ midnight on the date of a game, such as Best Buy Madness sales...do you think Valve can release the game over steam for those who pre-order it @ 12:01 am on the 16th? Cuz I gotta say, now that a date has been set, if this is possible, I might give in and give up the box and booklet to be able to sit in my warm home and just d/l whatever files may still be needed and start playing @ 12:01am a good 12 hours ahead of the masses..... :drooling:

Ninjaman09
10-18-04, 03:13 PM
Yes, they can, and I'm sure they will.

Slybri
10-18-04, 03:24 PM
yeah, that's why the whole pre-load deal. Hopefully everyone will have the full game installed already and will have already paid for it (offering CS:source early got them to do that). All steam needs to do is verify your account. It should be as easy as starting CS. Smoke up, grab a coke, and welcome to City 17!

Now if thousands of kids decide they want to "postload" and pay for the game at midnight...well steam might get a little nuked.

Lets hope not.

See you in City 17 on NOV 16!!!

|JuiceZ|
10-18-04, 03:33 PM
I have this funny feeling there’s gonna be a whole of pee’d off gamers on 11/16 @ 1200 who can’t authenticate into their steam accts to activate their preloaded copies of HL2 because, a “million” other gamers will simultaneously be attempting to do the same thing. Just think about what happened w/ CS:S, unless Valve adds some servers to help handle the excess load, 11/16 could be a nightmare for those of us who’ve preloaded.

aAv7
10-18-04, 03:36 PM
Even though I'm not sure if i'm gonna get it off steam, I made sure to download all the pre-load stuff to be on the safe side. Hopefully Valve will make some sort of announcement as to when HL2 will be playable...whether its 12:01 am or 9:00 am....who knows what kind of contract they have to fill with Vivendi, and seeing as how they are in the middle of a lawsuit....i'm sure valve will play it as safe as possible.

Slybri
10-18-04, 04:01 PM
That's what the whole preload deal was about. Hopefully everyone will already have the required files on thier computers and will have paid for it.
Really, it should just be like logging on to play CS. The files are there on your comp so all steam need to do is validate you. Then smoke up, grab a soda, and hit City 17!

Ninjaman09
10-18-04, 04:19 PM
I think I'll just play the game, without smoking up first. I'd rather not be stoned during my first play session. You seem to have quite a passion for smoking weed, or are very proud of your weed-smoking habit, since you've mentioned it twice.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is what time us East-Coasters get the game. Something tells me 3a.m. is pretty likely.

six_storm
10-18-04, 04:42 PM
Thank goodness that Grand Theft Auto is coming out next week to keep me busy until Nov 16th. If it weren't for that, I'd go crazy. It's like I said in a thread about a week ago, there isn't anything else to preload. Valve will verify your purchase (maybe give you a key or something) and you will be allowed to play the game. I'm definitly staying up to crank some HL2.

aAv7
10-18-04, 04:58 PM
Best game to play stoned is UT2K4. Course, i'm not very good when I smoke lol, but man, it looks so much nicer after a toke....think i'll stay away from the herbs when I first play HL2.....gotta be focused to play this one. teh smoke = teh replay value =)

kasperisa
10-18-04, 08:00 PM
I think I'll just play the game, without smoking up first. I'd rather not be stoned during my first play session. You seem to have quite a passion for smoking weed, or are very proud of your weed-smoking habit, since you've mentioned it twice.

First time I played halflife 1 I smoked up. But this time I'd rather not smoke for it.
I learned I enjoy games much more not smoking for games.

Riptide
10-18-04, 08:14 PM
I never played HL1. I can't bring myself to do it now, the gfx just look so dated to me. Deep down, I'm a gfx wh0re. :p

CainSyris
10-18-04, 08:33 PM
I never played HL1. I can't bring myself to do it now, the gfx just look so dated to me. Deep down, I'm a gfx wh0re. :p

Which is what Half-Life Source is for. ;) If Valve can't release HL2 to Steam preorders, why not at least give us HL1 Source access?

Clearly, its done.

six_storm
10-18-04, 08:37 PM
Half Life 1 was ok. I'm just like RipTide though, I'm also a graphics wh0re. HL1 didn't have a good story to it. I'm sure that HL2 will be a whole lot better though. The HL:S would be good to play through, even if you've never played the original.

Riptide
10-18-04, 08:39 PM
Holy so they redid HL1 with some updated gfx?? I think I must've had my head in the sand the last few weeks to miss that. Maybe I'll have to give it a try then.

After I finish HL2 that is. :D

aAv7
10-18-04, 09:31 PM
Well PC Gamer this month (the one with the hl2 review) said that HL1 Source is the exact same game with the exact same textures from the 1998 version-the only difference is the water. Weak!

Riptide
10-18-04, 10:32 PM
They change the water and that's it? That is :lame:

Guess I'll stick w/HL2 only then.

WeReWoLf
10-18-04, 11:06 PM
I smoke during games, but only tobacco products. Weed just doesn't do it for me.

superklye
10-19-04, 02:24 AM
How do you pre-load? I tried to, but I couldn't find it...maybe I'm retarded, but it kept asking me for a credit card number before letting me do anything.

RealLifePixelShader
10-19-04, 02:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A email sent to a importer in South Africa

IMPORTANT TO NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

Due to the intense security surrounding this game Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Collectors Edition will shelf at the same hour in every country. The Tuesday November 16th Date is the US shelf – which would translate to Tuesday evening shelf date in South Africa…..the exact hour will be communicated to you shortly……under no circumstances is the game to be sold prior to the specified time of release.

Kind Regards

Ninjaman09
10-19-04, 07:15 AM
Weed makes me stupid. And tired. And unmotivated. Eh, but it was fun.

Half Life 1 did SO have a good story! It required the use of your imagination and inferences more so than other games, and at the time, it had incredible graphics. So go play it and quit being a BEYOTCH!

|JuiceZ|
10-19-04, 07:50 AM
Well PC Gamer this month (the one with the hl2 review) said that HL1 Source is the exact same game with the exact same textures from the 1998 version-the only difference is the water. Weak!

You mean to tell me they didn’t even at least add higher rez textures? :screwy:

superklye
10-19-04, 11:46 AM
You mean to tell me they didn’t even at least add higher rez textures? :screwy:

Aparently not. I was reading something and Gabe said that a few groups had already come to him about redoing HL1 in the Source Engine with all new models, textures, etc. Gabe said it wasn't a matter of if someone was going to do it, but when.