PDA

View Full Version : Audigy 2 ZS and using PC Case ports?

gate1975mlm
10-18-04, 10:53 PM
Every PC case I see has Audio ports along with the usb ports. But how can I get my Audigy 2 ZS to work with them? Is there anyway it could be done? I am talking about the mic and head phone ports.

CaptNKILL
10-18-04, 11:20 PM
If the motherboard has sound ports it has an integrated sound chip which is an entirely different sound card (basically) built into the motherboard. Im not positive but I dont think theres any way to make your audigy do anything with those, and I dont know how well it would work to use 2 audio devices at once.

GamerGuyX
10-18-04, 11:45 PM
If the motherboard has sound ports it has an integrated sound chip which is an entirely different sound card (basically) built into the motherboard. Im not positive but I dont think theres any way to make your audigy do anything with those, and I dont know how well it would work to use 2 audio devices at once.

He's not talking about the motherboard ports. He is talking about the computer case ports.

Smokey
10-19-04, 10:12 AM
Well my case has them, and they work just like an extension cable, the leads from the case plug directly into the sound card.

gate1975mlm
10-19-04, 11:29 AM
Well my case has them, and they work just like an extension cable, the leads from the case plug directly into the sound card.

What kind of cable do I need to use?

Smokey
10-19-04, 04:38 PM
They are standard input jacks for the soundcard, the cables are actually attached to the case, they feed through the case from the front and then out through an empty pci slot, enabling you to branch them to the soundcard.

gate1975mlm
10-20-04, 01:07 PM
They are standard input jacks for the soundcard, the cables are actually attached to the case, they feed through the case from the front and then out through an empty pci slot, enabling you to branch them to the soundcard.

Some people are telling me that this can not be done. Where did you plug it in on the sound card?

CaptNKILL
10-20-04, 02:24 PM
He's not talking about the motherboard ports. He is talking about the computer case ports.
Aha, just threw me off when he mentioned the USB ports ;)

gate1975mlm
10-20-04, 03:05 PM

I just checked my sound card and I do not see anything that the Audio plug from the case can plug into on the Audigy. I don't understand how you are able to do this?

gate1975mlm
10-20-04, 03:17 PM

Now I understand what you mean. My case does not have that. My case has something with 9 pins.

Smokey
10-20-04, 05:08 PM
The 9 pins isnt the connection for the usb ports? My case has the pins to plug into the motherboard for usb, and a green and black input plug for audio. For the pins, you will need to check your motherboard manually to see which order they plug into the USB2 pins on the board. Do any of the cables have any markings of any kind?

gate1975mlm
10-21-04, 10:31 AM
The 9 pins isnt the connection for the usb ports? My case has the pins to plug into the motherboard for usb, and a green and black input plug for audio. For the pins, you will need to check your motherboard manually to see which order they plug into the USB2 pins on the board. Do any of the cables have any markings of any kind?

There are 2 connectors coming out of the I/O port and both have 9 pins. Ones black ones blue. They will only plug into the motherboard. Creative needs to put these connectors on there cards so we can use the Audigy with the I/O ports on the case. This really sucks!

Fatman
10-21-04, 10:46 AM
I've been looking into this and from what I gather, the situation is pretty grim. The pins you speak of hook up to the mobo audio. You will have to enable mobo audio if you want to use the ports on the front panel. Creative removed those pins from the sound card in order to sell us their 150$ panel that takes up one of the drive bays. Some folks actually mapped the pins on the creative card, Audigy line in particular, so if you are comfortable soldering, there is help available on the internet in terms of docs and diagrams. The other route is to buy the Creative panel on ebay or some place like that. Last but not least is going via the mobo sound device. Most of the apps and games have no problems with two audio devices as long as you configure windows properly. But some apps and games do crash and suffer as a result of having two sound devices.