PDA

View Full Version : EPox-8RDA+ mobo not recognizing 250gb hd

v3rninate
10-18-04, 10:48 PM
I installed the HD with 1 jumper and it recognized 130 gb...then installed the second jumper (for older mobo support for larger hd's) and I saw the extra 107 or so. SOOOoo....I reinstalled winxp Pro using the 2 jumpers and now I can't see more than 32gb. I've digged and digged and all I can find is that if WinXP sees more than 6 errors it will only use 32gb on large harddrives. But I have a 120gb hd working fine and winxp recognizes it all.

What's the problem?...bios update?

It's a athlon 2400+ with a Maxtor 120gb and WD 250gb <--the problem drive.
512mb Ram 9800pro Creative Audigy 2.
Epox 8RDA+ mobo.

Thanks!

-=DVS=-
10-18-04, 11:04 PM
In case your windows have no Service Pack installed thats your problem , but if you do , i got no other ideas.

Not sure what limit is with regular Copy of Windows XP , but i once tried to Freshly install Windows XP and it could not recognice my 300 gig drive , max it did was like 137gigs or so... , but makeing Slipstreamed Copy with Service Pack 1 , fixed it , SP2 will work to.

I think original Windows XP can't see more then 200 Gigs of space.

v3rninate
10-19-04, 01:15 AM
Hmmmmm thanks for the info...I wonder how I could make a copy of winxp with SP2? Have any threads or urls I could goto?

saturnotaku
10-19-04, 05:57 AM
You probably have an older revision motherboard that won't recognize hard drives with a capacity greater than 137 GB. A BIOS update might fix it, otherwise you have three options: 1) deal with 130 GB, 2) buy a new motherboard that supports the proper addressing to recognize that drive or 3) buy a PCI card that supports the drive.

v3rninate
10-20-04, 12:14 AM
Well you were right, I had a WinXP copy without ANY service packs. I got a WINXP PRO SP2 disk and now things are grand! Thanks!

I figured bios update, but I'm doing this work on a friends computer so his bro who normally does this stuff didn't want me to mess with the bios. So it was kind of out of my hands.

Thanks....problem fixed.

mattkenn_4545
10-20-04, 12:45 AM
why dont you just use windows update to get the updates?

v3rninate
10-20-04, 12:58 PM
Well, I did, but I needed this because when I go into the dos/windows setup. Windows wasn't recognizing the 250gb...only like 33gb of it. That's what I was talking about originally.

Filibuster
10-20-04, 08:24 PM
Windows XP will only see 127GB of a hard disk unless the EnableBigLba registry setting is enabled AFTER installing SP1/SP2. If you install Windows XP that has SP1/SP2 integrated in it, and Windows detects that your motherboard supports BigLba it will turn it on for you. This is why reinstalling with an SP2 cd fixed it. Simply installing SP1/SP2 will not fix this.

So if this happens to someone and they have Windows XP without a service pack, you have to install SP2 and then add a dword registry called EnableBigLba entry in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Param eters. Set this entry to 1 and reboot.

This site has information and a utility to turn this on for you.
http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm