PDA

View Full Version : Help: problems fitting Silencer NV5 on 6800gt

Pages : [1] 2

Zetto
10-19-04, 04:05 AM
Just got a new Silencer NV5 and it does not make contact with the core and a few memory chips. I took of the reference cooler, followed all the instructions, put a thin layer of AS5 on the core and silicone paste on memory chips and tried attaching the nv5 - only 5 out of 8 memory chips came in contact with it, core was not even close. When I pulled nv5 up after trying to fit it on the board, only 3 out of 4 memory blocks had traces of paste on them. One of the memory blocks had paste only on half of it - i.e., out of 2 memory chips sitting close on PCB made contact with it. The center of heatsink remained clean just as I pulled it out form the box. I tried refitting it, wiggling it around a little to avail. Any suggections how to fix that? I hate sanding down the memory blocks, as it's gonna be a hell of a job to make it even and precise enough to fit.

Hellion
10-19-04, 07:57 AM
lapping sounds like the only good choice, and maybe, if your good, you can lap down the screw nubs a little, to shorten the distance they allow from the heatsink and board. so the sink touches chip and you rely on the sproings more.

pharma
10-19-04, 08:27 AM
Sounds like your're definitely doing something wrong. I had no issues fitting the NV5 to my BFG 6800 GT OC. My initial guess would be the screws need to be tightened more ... BTW I applied AS5 to both the gpu and memory chips. Idle temps are currently ambient 47C, core 53C.

There were a few good threads on setting up the NV5 on 6800 GT's. A forum search should turn these up.

If you go to the bottom of the link below, you'll see the problem with screws breaking was solved on newer Silencers and you most likely don't have to be concerned.

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=vgasilencer

TeaEtchSee
10-19-04, 09:53 AM
Just got a new Silencer NV5 and it does not make contact with the core and a few memory chips. I took of the reference cooler, followed all the instructions, put a thin layer of AS5 on the core and silicone paste on memory chips and tried attaching the nv5 - only 5 out of 8 memory chips came in contact with it, core was not even close. When I pulled nv5 up after trying to fit it on the board, only 3 out of 4 memory blocks had traces of paste on them. One of the memory blocks had paste only on half of it - i.e., out of 2 memory chips sitting close on PCB made contact with it. The center of heatsink remained clean just as I pulled it out form the box. I tried refitting it, wiggling it around a little to avail. Any suggections how to fix that? I hate sanding down the memory blocks, as it's gonna be a hell of a job to make it even and precise enough to fit.

hmm, im guessin your NV5 is bent or welded uneven....try placing it on a flat surface and if it tilts its bad product :(

tobywong
10-19-04, 10:14 AM
If you don't lap first, I don't think a thin layer is going to cut it for an NV5.

Either lap and use a thin layer, or don't lap and use more AS5. The surface is just not smooth enough out of the box to get away with a really thin layer.

I didn't lap and just used a bit more AS5 and my temps are right in line with what other NV5 users are reporting.

Slammin
10-19-04, 11:46 AM
Make sure you removed those foam pads from if they stuck to your memory chips when you removed the stock cooler. My foam pads stuck to my hsf when I removed it, but I can see how they could stick to the ram too if your card has been used for awhile. I think they get stickier as they break-in.

Zetto
10-19-04, 12:00 PM
Everything has been cleaned off the board. THERE IS NOTHING BETWEEN THE NV5 COPPER BASE AND THE 6800GT MEMORY/CORE! I have used alcohol to clean off the old stuff off the core/memory. The nv5 just does not make contact with the core and some memory. I tried fitting it twice, I twiggled the NV5 around, and still there was a big gap b/n the HSF and the core - it was the width of a hair but I dont want to crush my memory or pile up AS5 on the core in order to make contact. ANy other suggestions?

And yes, I believe that some memory blocks on the NV5 are way too high, as I stated above, only 5 out of the 8 memory chips smeared their thermal compound on the NV5 when I tried putting it on. the rest were way off.

rellingsen
10-19-04, 12:11 PM
I been there, done that. :) See the thread below. I seems that either that the manufacturer of the card mounts the memory slightly higher then others or the NV5 has quality control issues. It could be a combination of both. I know the memory plates on my NV5 were twice as thick as the ones on the stock HSF. Part of that would account for the thickness of the thermal pads they used but not all of it. I had to slowly take down each individual memory plate until the core and each module touched perfectly.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35572

TeaEtchSee
10-19-04, 12:22 PM
I been there, done that. :) See the thread below. I seems that either that the manufacturer of the card mounts the memory slightly higher then others or the NV5 has quality control issues. It could be a combination of both. I know the memory plates on my NV5 were twice as thick as the ones on the stock HSF. Part of that would account for the thickness of the thermal pads they used but not all of it. I had to slowly take down each individual memory plate until the core and each module touched perfectly.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35572

i hear that the NV5 dont benefit the ULTRA as much as the GT in temp wise...

Zetto
10-19-04, 03:13 PM
Relingsen, you are not alone. Just look at the attached pix. The first one shows that one of the memory blocks is much higher than another one. And the second one show where my board was able to make contact with NV5... I guess I have to get down to sanding that POS. Any suggestions how to do that most efficiently? Thanks

tobywong
10-19-04, 03:35 PM
Someone just posted a link to a lapping guide in this thread, post #36:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38740&page=3

If I were you I would just exchange it for a new one tho... that's an obvious manuf. defect.

combat_wombat
10-19-04, 04:40 PM
Relingsen, you are not alone. Just look at the attached pix. The first one shows that one of the memory blocks is much higher than another one. And the second one show where my board was able to make contact with NV5... I guess I have to get down to sanding that POS. Any suggestions how to do that most efficiently? Thanks

that is really shotty workmanship. AC should be scolded :lame:

rellingsen
10-19-04, 08:16 PM

Man that's even worse then mine was. All of my memory plates were real thick like the one on the right in your first picture. Mine at least touched all the memory but never fully seated on them. The memory plates were so thick though the core was about a half a mm from the HS base. You could see broad daylight thru it.

Ironmanstl
10-19-04, 08:42 PM
your memory sinks look like they where made with some pieces left over in the bin...

mine fit great,

send it back, get another it should be better

bkswaney
10-19-04, 08:47 PM
your memory sinks look like they where made with some pieces left over in the bin...

mine fit great,

I must agree... Mine looks and fits very well. :)

Zetto
10-19-04, 08:59 PM

mine fit great,

Thx. that makes me fell all better ;)

Stupid chinese :wong: quality. How did the friggin quality control let it thru? :bash: Well, k, I didn't notice it myself at first... even after it didn't fit on the board (newb)

Anyways, I contacted the manufacturer, waiting for replacement. The a$$holes at the Jab-tech I bought it from won't budge and say it's aint their problem. Well f*ck'em.

Zetto
11-24-04, 09:53 PM
Finally got a replacement and got around to install it. What do u know, it does not sit right on my 6800gt either. Unlike the first one, here all memory chips make contact but the core still does not. WTF do I do now? man I am so P'Oed right now at the arctic cooling. I dropped a load of AS5 on the core but having similar problem as this guy here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.p.hp?t=40075.
My idle temp is 60c instead of 51c I had with the reference HSF (similar ambient temperature). ARGH!!!!

I dunno, ask for another replacement again? jeez this is getting old fast.

larsc
11-24-04, 11:11 PM
Elaborate on the "not sit right"-part. Did you fasten the screws correctly? Small twists in a round-robinish rotation.

Zetto
11-24-04, 11:29 PM
Elaborate on the "not sit right"-part. Did you fasten the screws correctly? Small twists in a round-robinish rotation.

OK, just to "elaborate" - as I said above, the memory is making contact with the copper base but the GPU core DOES NOT! So I had to fill the gap with AS5 but idle temp are 10c higher than the ones with the reference cooler. I have 2 choices (unless u can give me another one). Sand down the memory blocks on the NV5 or try replacing it again!!! :lame:

And yes, I fitted everything correctly. I just built a watercooling system, I think I can handle this stupid NV5 installation.

/me grumbles curses toward Arctic cooling quality control.

eyoo
11-25-04, 02:32 AM
Arctic Silencer products really are crap. Atleast what I've used in the past from them for CPU HSF. Everyone jumped on this product and hyped it up because it was the only 3rd party cooler at the time, this thing was way way overhyped. Just looking at it I would guess it costs AC like $1.50 to make one of these things. I'm so glad I bought a solid copper HS for my GT. It cools just as well as the lowest NV5 temps I've seen. 48C idle 67C 20 minute rthdribl load. I don't mean to offend anyone who bought this. It's just my experience with Arctic Cooling has been very poor.

Zetto
11-25-04, 03:17 AM
I had original silencer on my 9800 pro and it was great, reduced case temp quite a bit and raised my overclock limit (not that I use it that much but it demonstrates cooling capacity). This one by comparison is a pile of crap (well, maybe it works but only if I could GET IT to work :( ). I don't think I'll ever buy anything with Arctic Cooling logo on it. I'd just go for a waterblock or something :D

hypertek
11-25-04, 01:55 PM
ok no probs on mine, but has anyone ever noticed how if you look at the video card from the front of it, that the nv5 sits at an angle? like the side with the memory blocks is a lil higher, so it tilts to the side where the gpu is...?

Zetto
11-25-04, 03:30 PM
ok no probs on mine, but has anyone ever noticed how if you look at the video card from the front of it, that the nv5 sits at an angle? like the side with the memory blocks is a lil higher, so it tilts to the side where the gpu is...?

My problem exactly, the memory blocks on NV5 are too high and as a result, it does not make a proper contact with my core. I ran out sand paper last night but this copper is a tough POS to sand down. I got the core a little closer to the copper base but there is still a gap. Hopefully, the AS5 will set and temp will drop further. Still, compared to reference cooler, I running higher temps. Gah, I'll get more sand paper tomorrow and get down to it again :lame:

wickfut
11-25-04, 06:27 PM
the way i done it was to squeeze the card near the memory (with fingers) as i was tightening the nv5 on - that way i was sure it was making contact and then just tightening up to make sure it didnt come out of contact

Ironmanstl
11-25-04, 11:57 PM
I think thats your only option, keep lapping

I don't know how you r doing it, but I would take a full sheet of paper, put it on a hard flat surfance and work the sink back and forth.
It will take time sanding all at once, but at least you won't be uneven

Took me over an hour to completely lap the nickel finish off my xp120
you'll get there

:)