PDA

View Full Version : Guide to flashing your 6800 from within windows (no floppy)

myshkinbob
10-19-04, 06:41 PM
I just replied to a PM asking me how you flash non-leadtek cards with their flash utility, so i thought i'd post the information here too in case anyone else needs it. Say if you don't have a floppy drive.

First of all, go to www.leadtek.com.tw and download the latest winfox utility. Install it and reboot, when you get back to windows, you'll see a lot of the functionality isn't available for non-leadtek cards through the main interface. However, you can flash any 6800 with winfox using the following method...

Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\WinFox and run wfxflash.exe. Read in the current bios from your card on the 'Read Graphics Bios' tab, The program will appear to hang briefly before reading the bios from the card.

Then read in the bios from your hard drive that you want to flash to the card on the 'Rom/Image File Information' tab.

Then go to the 'Flash/Upgrade Graphics Bios' and left/right click the 'Flash BIOS' button a lot until a tune plays and a red light appears in the top right corner, now left click the button to flash your card. The utility and your system will appear to hang and lock up for about a minute, DO NOT attempt to close it or kill the task, after the minute long hang it will then flash your card, the bar will go across on the main window, then it may present an error about the filetype, ignore it and click ok, your card is flashed, reboot to activate the new bios.

also if you wish to read your current bios and edit it without needing to reboot, you can read it in on the 'Read Graphics Bios' tab and hit the save button on the same tab.

Hope some find this helpful, it makes copying/editing/flashing your card bios a single reboot procedure with no need for floppies.

h4nc0
10-20-04, 03:49 AM
where can I find winfox on leadtek.com.tw?

NeoLojik
10-20-04, 10:21 AM
where can I find winfox on leadtek.com.tw?
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=6

mike2h
10-20-04, 01:34 PM
gigabyte has a similar prog built into their utility. it is also at their site.

theultimo
10-20-04, 01:36 PM
Msi does to, with the live monitor feature.