PDA

View Full Version : What's the propper way to uninstall drivers before a new installation?

Nickeleye
10-19-04, 09:07 PM
This is my first nvidia card so I'm not sure what the proper method is to COMPLETELY uninstall all previous driver files before installing either a newer driver build or even an older build. I'm used to doing the process with my old ATI cards, but I'm at a loss with the new card. Can anybody give me a clue?

Thanks.

odin20
10-20-04, 12:28 AM
first download drivercleaner3 and then read the readme thats attached it tells you the best foolproof way bro.

Darkoz
10-20-04, 04:50 AM
This is my first nvidia card so I'm not sure what the proper method is to COMPLETELY uninstall all previous driver files before installing either a newer driver build or even an older build. I'm used to doing the process with my old ATI cards, but I'm at a loss with the new card. Can anybody give me a clue?

Thanks.

Removing and installing drivers is no different whether you use ATI or nVidia. The process is the same.

MikeC
10-20-04, 06:25 AM
Check out the Release 65 Notes documentation:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/66.81/66.81_ForceWare_Release_65_Graphics_Drivers_Releas e_Notes_Windows_XP-2000.pdf

Uninstalling the NVIDIA Display Driver Software

Note: It is highly recommended that you follow the steps in this section to completely
uninstall the NVIDIA Display Driver software before updating to a new version
of the software.

To uninstall the nView software, follow these steps:

1. From the Windows taskbar, click Start > Settings > Control Panel to open the
Control Panel window.

2. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs item.

3. Click the NVIDIA Display Driver item from the list.

4. Click Change/Remove.

5. Click Yes to continue.

A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved nView
profiles.

- If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved profiles
will be deleted.

- If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files are
saved in the Windows\nView directory on your hard disk.

Your system now restarts.

Installing the NVIDIA ForceWare Graphics Drivers

1. Follow the instructions on the NVIDIA.com Web site driver download page to locate the appropriate driver to download, based on your hardware and operating system.

2. Click the driver download link. The license agreement dialog box appears.

3. Click Accept if you accept the terms of the agreement, then either open the
file or save the file to your PC and open it later. Opening the EXE file launches the NVIDIA InstallShield Wizard.

4. Follow the instructions in the NVIDIA InstallShield Wizard to complete the installation.

fithin
01-14-05, 03:01 AM
A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved nView
profiles.

- If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved profiles
will be deleted.

- If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files are
saved in the Windows\nView directory on your hard disk.

What happens if you click no? I did this once and clicked yes and my computer was jacked. I dont know much about computers let alone never bought a graphics card till I bought EQ2. I am scared to death to try this again.

SLippe
01-14-05, 03:33 AM
If you are using official nvidia drivers, it's not that big of deal to uninstall first, unless you are changing video cards, then I would. Just uninstall from the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>select Display Driver Only. If you use Driver Cleaner 3, run Cab Cleaner first, then Driver Cleaner for Nvidia or ATI, depending on which you are removing. Good luck!

Darkoz
01-14-05, 03:34 AM
What happens if you click no? I did this once and clicked yes and my computer was jacked. I dont know much about computers let alone never bought a graphics card till I bought EQ2. I am scared to death to try this again.

Just click "NO" and remove everything.

Electronic Punk
01-14-05, 06:19 AM
Add/remove should do the trick but a good driverclean every now and then is always nice :D