PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jAkUp
10-19-04, 08:50 PM
Response (JonH) 10/19/2004 01:18 PM
Hello,

"Will it require setting up a STEAM account so that the game can be authenticated ONLINE at install time? (and then play OFFLINE)"

Exactly, this is how the game will be 'activated'.

Just an interesting tidbit I found on the net :)

saturnotaku
10-19-04, 08:58 PM
Boo! Hiss!

Activation is teh deval.

six_storm
10-19-04, 09:26 PM
Boo! Hiss!

Activation is teh deval.

ROFL. :lol2:

Well, I hope that once it is activated, no more Steam to play a Valve game. I don't mind going through Steam to play CS:S now, but what happens if my cable (internet) connection goes out for some reason? I'd rather have a seperate executable on my desktop and NOT go through Steam. But that's my opinion.

Son Goku
10-20-04, 12:03 AM
Another company goes the way of software activation. That doesn't give us many details (such as if it will tie to hardware like XP activation or not, will we have to call in on a re-install, etc)...but I can say I don't like activation as it is.

As I mentioned years ago, it isn't just XP and one call to Microsoft, but if other companies copy their example one could end up having to make a seperate call for every piece of software on their HD on each reinstall. Sorry, but I don't particularly like having to speak on the phone that much, let along beg for permission to reinstall a program I payed for.

Another company/product goes the way of activation and we have yet to see how encombersome this will be for the consumer.

|MaguS|
10-20-04, 12:06 AM
Im all for it! Maybe they should even use a USB Key to lock it! F them Pirates!

CaptNKILL
10-20-04, 12:22 AM
So what if the game has a bad install and I activate and have to reinstall...

Bah... why the hell do they have to make it so damned complicated. No matter what they do there will be illegal versions of the game scattered all over the planet. Windows XP had pretty stiff protection yet im willing to bet that around half of the computers with XP installed are using it illegally (one way or another).

Its been said a million times before. The only people this crap hurts are the paying customers. Its irritating as hell to have to go through with things like this. Besides, if I have 2 computers and want to try the game on both I should be able to. Im only one person, I cant very well play them both at the same time can I?

Edge
10-20-04, 01:09 AM
Wow, that's increadibly stupid...and what's even worse is that the cracked version of the game probably won't have this limitation. I think I'll call them as soon as I get the game and complain I can't play it because I don't have internet (not that I don't, but not all the computers I have at my house are currently networked and I'd like to be able to play HL2 on any of them, saying "I can't play it at all" sounds more critical ;) ). *sigh*, it's like we're returning to the old days of color wheels and manual codes in order to "validate" a game.

Son Goku
10-20-04, 03:16 AM
If winXP is any indication it is not the pirates that get effected by these stupid activation schemes. After they've downloaded their Devil's Own release or whatever else, they could care less. It is the honest people who pay the price with these schemes, even while the pirates invariably find another way.

Arguments of "anti-piracy" hold no weight with me here... Anything that can be setup in software can also be broken in software as well. And though Devil's Own isn't technically a crack (it's a leaked corporate release), beta 2 and all the release candidates of Windows XP were cracked. I had winXP prior to release from an MSDN subscription, and yes I was quite well aware of the cracks and where to get them. If it wasn't cracked in the final, but just leaked...it's probably largely to the fact that peeps aren't necessarily going to spend the time cracking something, when there's an easier way to get it out. In such matters, humans can tend to be a bit on the lazy side, taking the easier path to accomplish their goals.

This should also be brought into consideration here, as I know matter of factly that people who never warzed things before XP activation were quite willing to consider it even when having a purchased copy of winXP. Same might end up occuring here, if activation becomes more of a pain/more work then cracking it, with those who are most honest being the one's who get stuck the most.

CaptNKILL
10-20-04, 04:25 AM
I just thought about something else thats totaly rediculous about this...

What if 10 years down the road I want to play HL2 again? Its likely that Steam will be gone (very few programs last that long in this industry... valve may even be gone), which means HL2 will be totaly USELESS. Without the Steam servers, you simply will NOT be able to install it.

If Valve was so damned worried about piracy, youd think they would use their amazing new Steam purchasing system and make the games a fraction of the retail cost. If some pirate had a choice of slowly downloading the game illegally over the course of a month and then not being able to play online OR spending $25-$30 to download it from Steam legally, Im willing to bet that most wouldnt pirate it.
Right now they either pay $50+ to download it, $50+ to buy it retail or download it for free illegally. Im not going to lie, if I had a guaranteed chance to get it for free, I would consider it (though Id probably buy it eventually anyway just to have it).

Its like the chicken and egg thing. They raise the prices of the games to make up for pirated copies which are downloaded because the games cost too much. Actually no, I guess they just raise the prices of the games because they want to be rich :rolleyes:

NAZCA M12
10-20-04, 04:50 AM
Everything's got to be done Valve's way hasn't it? :lame: Is this 100% confirmed? If it is, **** them. I don't see why i have to ask them in order to install their game i legally bought, or have to mess with Steam just because they say so. I could perfectly understand the anti-piracy thinking behind it but i don't see why they should **** everybody (legal owners included) for that. I get the impression that they're doing this ONLY in order to milk the game as much as they can and get every last penny out of it, without caring about their hard work being stolen/wasted each time an illegal copy is sold. Valve has been pushing the envelope way too much with their hyped game and unfortunately 99% of gamers prefer to obey, drop their pants down and bend over. I'm sick of it. No HL2 for me looks like :rant: :cry: (whine)

FierceDeityLink
10-20-04, 05:05 AM
Valve can't make Half-Life 2 available for less money on Steam. More than likely, Half-Life 2 will be tied to your Steam account, so if you have to reinstall, you can just have Steam rebuild the cache files. If Steam is ever shut down, there will probably be a new version of the architecture (e.g.: WON -> Steam), so you'd end up needing to download a patch. Of course, none of this is possible if you don't have an internet connection unless they opt to allow calling for activation (dunno how with the global simultaneous release).

I don't care if I have to activate, because it will have already been done because I purchased through Steam.

mezkal
10-20-04, 05:11 AM
Everything's got to be done Valve's way hasn't it? :lame: Is this 100% confirmed? If it is, **** them. I don't see why i have to ask them in order to install their game i legally bought, or have to mess with Steam just because they say so. I could perfectly understand the anti-piracy thinking behind it but i don't see why they should **** everybody (legal owners included) for that. I get the impression that they're doing this ONLY in order to milk the game as much as they can and get every last penny out of it, without caring about their hard work being stolen/wasted each time an illegal copy is sold. Valve has been pushing the envelope way too much with their hyped game and unfortunately 99% of gamers prefer to obey, drop their pants down and bend over. I'm sick of it. No HL2 for me looks like :rant: :cry: (whine)

ummm I really REALLY don't see what the issue is here. Are you going to be playing the game online? Will you let it download updates?

So what's the difference if it needs to be authenticated to start? So do Yahoo, MSN messenger and umpteen other apps we have on our "connected" PCs.

If you are connected enough to care about your signature on a chat board then I think you won't find it unusual for HL2 to connect to authenticate.

Stop whining!

Knot3D
10-20-04, 05:11 AM
I think it's truly crappy. I'm planning to play HL2 single player game on my best pc which happens to be my 3D workstation. I have that rig offline. So, this kinda means I cannot play the damn retail game on my best pc ? Sigh...

jbirney
10-20-04, 07:12 AM
I think it's truly crappy. I'm planning to play HL2 single player game on my best pc which happens to be my 3D workstation. I have that rig offline. So, this kinda means I cannot play the damn retail game on my best pc ? Sigh...

Maybe they will have a way to let users play it that dont have a network connection as I doubt you will be the only one that does not have his/her PC hooked up to the net???

Ninjaman09
10-20-04, 07:22 AM
Who gives a ****? Jesus, you people. ALL OF YOU HAVE INTERNET ACCESS OBVIOUSLY. What's the problem? God damn.

Knot3D
10-20-04, 07:25 AM
Indeed. My best pc is my 3D workstation which I have offline for safety reasons.

Can't they allocate this verification procedure back to the moment in the store when you pay for the retail disc ? I do have another (slow)pc online though ; maybe they can program sort of exe which serves as a key so i only have to install the key on that pc ....

MatsoN1983
10-20-04, 07:30 AM
this dont bother me one bit tbh, i mean its 2004 everyone should have the internet

FluxCap
10-20-04, 07:31 AM
At least Steam doesn't have to be active or connected to play SP each time. One activation = unlimited singleplayer.

saturnotaku
10-20-04, 07:39 AM
One activation = unlimited singleplayer.

Until you want/need to reinstall the game. :bs:

six_storm
10-20-04, 07:58 AM
At least Steam doesn't have to be active or connected to play SP each time. One activation = unlimited singleplayer.

Like I said earlier, I hope that since I d/led from Steam, I don't have to have Steam running just to execute the game. If Steam were to ever go out x many years down the road, Valve better be sending some hard copies of HL2.

Ninjaman09
10-20-04, 08:21 AM
You run Steam in offline mode if you're not connected, and you can still play everything. It just works like a frontend.

Seriously, everyone can get their computers on the internet for the 2 seconds it will take to activate HL2. You're just digging for something to complain about.

mezkal
10-20-04, 08:26 AM
Here Here

karkrash81
10-20-04, 11:02 AM
I think this issue is a legitimate concern. I format my pc 2 or 3 times annually so it would be a major inconvenience to have to figure out how to install a game 2 or 3 times a year.

I can't imagine what it would be like if all games start using this sort of activation procedure...right now i have 20 games installed on my pc...that's a lot of trouble if you have to do that several times a year...

right now i have an issue with Itunes because I was having serious computer problems and went through 4 reformats in two months...now i can't use my old i-tunes account because it says i have to de-authorize my other computers...but i can't because they were the same computer!! i know i can set up another account but it sure is a hassle...imagine doing that with 20 games??

Vash
10-20-04, 11:40 AM
I thought that Valve debunked this about six months ago... ?

Edit: I went digging over at Halflife2.net and apparently their Straight From Valve section of their forum has been removed. But I remember seeing something in there where Gabe said the 'Net connection needed to unlock SP rumor was just that.

Eh, who knows? Things might have changed since then.

Ninjaman09
10-20-04, 11:47 AM
I should also add that the quote jAKup showed in the beginning was entirely speculative. So no need to get all your panties in bunches here, fellas.

I format my pc 2 or 3 times annually so it would be a major inconvenience to have to figure out how to install a game 2 or 3 times a year.
Step 1: Install Steam.
Step 2: Download your games automatically.
Step 3: Play your games.