PDA

View Full Version : Will BFG 6800 GT OC work in an agp 4x slot?

kasperisa
10-19-04, 10:43 PM
I tried to find information online to know if this card (BFG 6800 GT OC) will work on the Asus P4PE mobo with 4X AGP. From my general understanding, it should work. But I'm getting the card tomorrow and I'm just wondering if someone can clarify it for me?
Thanks

ChrisRay
10-19-04, 10:45 PM
It should. Since AGP 8x is backwards compatible with 4x, Just dont try it with a 2x board.

bkswaney
10-19-04, 10:53 PM
I tried to find information online to know if this card (BFG 6800 GT OC) will work on the Asus P4PE mobo with 4X AGP. From my general understanding, it should work. But I'm getting the card tomorrow and I'm just wondering if someone can clarify it for me?
Thanks

It should be just fine. :)
You are going to love your new card.
The BFG GToc rocks! :nanahump:

TeaEtchSee
10-20-04, 12:12 AM
Thanks

it will...but it also depends on your power supply too

if i was in your footstep, i would invest on a 8xAGP just to harnes the 68OOgt true power :)...and maybe soft mod it etc etc

bkswaney
10-20-04, 01:07 AM

if i was in your footstep, i would invest on a 8xAGP just to harnes the 68OOgt true power :)...and maybe soft mod it etc etc

There are no soft mods for a GT.
Also you will not notice going from AGP 4x to 8x.
Maybe 2fps.

theultimo
10-20-04, 01:07 AM

Although 8x still doesnt really do much....

TheSmJ
10-20-04, 02:30 AM
I've forced my GT into 4X mode using my motherboard's BIOS. Only suffered ~2FPS less in Doom 3 than when it was in 8X. Chances are the drop is only due to margin of error.

In short, you won't gain much from the video card by getting an 8X AGP mobo anyhow.

StoNer
10-20-04, 03:42 AM
i got one and used it for a month on my 4x agp mobo, id suggest upgrading to 8x but on the other hand the BFG box says 2x/4x/8x on it.

:edit: i got alot of skips with my old mobo, but it was an ECS with a low level VIA chipset in it. Plus slower cpu ram etc. Doubt 4x agp had anything to do with that.