PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who likes this game?

Pages : [1] 2

Zelda_fan
10-20-04, 12:59 AM
man, for me personally Doom3 was a great game. Probably my favorite game since Neverwinter Nights. OK, so it wasn't the second comminig like it was hyped up to me, but it was: a fun game, great graphics, great sound, and scary. Yep it was simple, but I still had a lot of fun. Plus the MP is a lot of fun and with the ability to hide in the shadows it is like a whole new game.

|MaguS|
10-20-04, 01:04 AM
Yeah, It's not a terrible game but its not the game it could have been and everyone expected it to be. I think many people were pissed mainly on the replay value and how short the game was for being so long in development.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Pissed that it ended the way it did but not a bad game... just not one of the greatest.

BioHazZarD
10-20-04, 07:52 AM
yes i still enjoy it.

MUYA
10-20-04, 07:53 AM
I lurve it

revbatboy
10-20-04, 08:08 AM
I liked it but It could have been much much more with all the years in development and the genious behind it.

Marcos
10-20-04, 08:53 AM
The only games I play ATM (in order of greatness) Farcry, then Warcraft III, then Doom III

Skrot
10-20-04, 09:36 AM
Yeah, It's not a terrible game but its not the game it could have been and everyone expected it to be.Hm funny that. It was basically precisely what I expected it to be. What did you expect it to be?

PSYCHODAD
10-20-04, 01:14 PM
Personally I really enjoyed the game, and the multiplayer is fun too.

karkrash81
10-20-04, 01:36 PM
I thought the game was excellent throughout... definately one of my all time favorite games... i wasn't expecting a game like far cry, or painkiller, and doom 3 delivered on every level as a survival horror adventure...

i wonder if half-life 2 is going to get the bashing that doom 3 did...

i think years down the road, doom 3 will be one of the classic games...i remember that the empire strikes back got negative reviews when it came out and it still did great business and is considered by most fans to be the best of the star wars movies...

|MaguS|
10-20-04, 04:37 PM
Hm funny that. It was basically precisely what I expected it to be. What did you expect it to be?

I expected it to be alot closer to the original Doom in mainly level design. Sure the gameplay was Doom, but the levels really lacked in the doom feeling... I mean Doom 1, Doom 2 and Final Doom all had such great levels and OPEN levels... Doom 3 is all tiny and corridors. So basically, The level design is what I was disappointed in... wasn't very "Doom" like.

deadite_9
10-20-04, 07:01 PM
personally, it's been pretty much what i was expecting it to be (twitchy and claustrophobic), so i haven't really been let down like all the naysayers.

so far one of my favorite moments has been firing off a rocket between two cherubs and watching em fly off in opposite directions-- and no, not the fluttery kind of flying, either. don't know why i get such a kick outta killing babies; i guess it is a bit twisted. does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes: oh, and it's funny to watch the mancubus go sailing backwards after taking too many rockets in the belly, too.

so, yeah, i'm having fun.

mrrolf
10-21-04, 11:42 AM
I thought it was a good game. I got into it, and it sometimes scared the crap out of me.

I also thought there was alot of untapped potential in the engine. Hopefully there will be many games using that engine, and we will finally see how good it can be. Maybe I think the technology in the game is a little ahead of it's time.

dante_uk
10-21-04, 12:08 PM
I loved it and still do, playing with the SDK now.

Yeah, It's not a terrible game but its not the game it could have been and everyone expected it to be. I think many people were pissed mainly on the replay value and how short the game was for being so long in development..

Sorry, I disagree. It's exactly what I expected it to be and exactly what id told us it was. A FPS, slow paced, scary, remake of doom.
I've played it twice through, normal, nightmare and revisit certain maps from time to time.

I posted a list of features of Doom3, engine and game play and then compared the lists with other FPS out there. I couldn't really think of anything that could be changed or added to make it better as a FPS game, set on a industrial/science base on Mars( with dodgy power and lighting, due to Hell breaking loose!! ), nor could anyone else on that forum.
Still interested, because now have the sdk and soon a sample vehicle ( I managed to get the rover vehicle drivable, sort of, the bones where wrong so it was funny to watch and it has no steering axis so I couldn't turn it ), as a programmer I'm looking for things to do with the sources.

I've not seen anyone complain that it's too short, I've seen people complain it's too long :) mostly because they got bored or just couldn't hanldle the darkness and tentsion.

My only disappointment was two moments from the E3 alpha leak that seemed really cool, but didn't happen anywhere in the final version.
1. When I was watching from machinery through a window and I suddenly noticed my reflection, quickly noticing another reflection beside me - of a zombie soldier gun.
2. Right at the end when I walked towards a big door, my shadow became visible on the door but soon blocked out by a much bigger shadow - of a hell demon coming up behind me.

noko
10-21-04, 12:32 PM
I think it is a great game and sets the enviroment better then any other game for its breed. Started to play Splinter Cell (first version) and I just want to go back to DoomIII.

holmes
10-21-04, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I don't see why everyone complains about Doom3.. I loved it and it is definitely one of my all time favs..
:)

ynnek
10-21-04, 05:21 PM
played like the original Doom.. right down to the "open the closet full of demons triggers".. both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

superklye
10-21-04, 10:50 PM
I liked it but It could have been much much more with all the years in development and the genious behind it.

my thoughts exactly.

aAv7
10-21-04, 11:42 PM
From a technology stand-point, I hated the low res walls, objects, etc. This is easily the most un-impressive engine by ID. A HUGE let down in my eyes, especially considering the time they had to work on the engine and also considering how great the quake 3 engine looked when it debuted and how long it lasted....I just don't see this engine lasting half as long. It feels more like a few upgraded textures from the quake 3 engine than an entirely updated one.

From a gameplay point of view, I thought it was a fine game. Never knowing what was lurking in the dark, having the flashlight shinning with no weapon....creepy stuff...the monster models were also nice. Just the enviornments were dissapointing to me.

Skrot
10-21-04, 11:50 PM
So you're blaming the slow computers of today on id? Right. That makes lots of sense. Do you know why they reduced the texture sizes, polygon counts? Because most people's computers can't handle it! None of ours can handle what the engine is possible of, that's for sure.

The Doom3 engine is a step forward in rendering quality that no other has done yet. The best thing that I can see is the unified lighting system. Everything is lit in the same way. That's why lights affect walls and floors in the same way that they affect monsters and items and what have you.

Give that gravity gun mod a shot, and try just picking up a character model and moving it around, seeing how it interacts with the light. No other engine does it as convincingly.

saturnotaku
10-21-04, 11:52 PM
Biggest waste of $55 ever. Gosh it looks pretty, but it was no fun at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how third party developers flex the engine's muscle (RTCW 2) but the Doom 3 experience itself was nothing short of underwhelming and unfulfilling.

DJMONDY
10-25-04, 04:33 AM
Personally i love doom 3.
Ive been enjoying it even more since i had my new 6800U coz it runs perfectly!!

Ive had the game for ages now and ive only recently got out of hell. I like taking my time on games.

From what ive read doom 3 is clocked at 60fps. Is there a way of making the game run higher than 60fps?

Cheers :)

psychogmv
10-26-04, 07:28 AM
Iīm still in Delta Labs and I think it is the most imersive game I have ever played. It can lack a good story and good AI(for me these are the only minor points), but the engine is for sure the most imersive for its time. The graphics and sounds are outstanding.
About the darkness and claustrophobic environment, cīmon, we all have seen at least screen shots of the Alpha and we knew it would be this way. So it was exactly what I was expecting.
Great game, IMO.

s-flow
11-03-04, 02:24 PM
A very good game, the graphics engine is impressive and the game
feels "polished".

They could have varied the envoirements more and why not use
large outdoor areas and vehicles, as the engine is well capable of that?

I play it a second round now and enjoying it much!

Kev1
11-16-04, 01:52 AM
Well, I started playing it a second time and I'm having more fun than first time. I have it on harder difficulty now and its very enjoyable.

The new 66.93 drivers work great. Best drivers I have used yet for this game :)

Intel17
11-16-04, 06:17 AM
So you're blaming the slow computers of today on id? Right. That makes lots of sense. Do you know why they reduced the texture sizes, polygon counts? Because most people's computers can't handle it! None of ours can handle what the engine is possible of, that's for sure.

The Doom3 engine is a step forward in rendering quality that no other has done yet. The best thing that I can see is the unified lighting system. Everything is lit in the same way. That's why lights affect walls and floors in the same way that they affect monsters and items and what have you.

Give that gravity gun mod a shot, and try just picking up a character model and moving it around, seeing how it interacts with the light. No other engine does it as convincingly.

+1

The Doom 3 Engine is an entirely new paradigm in rendering. When you've unified the lighting and shadowing, and having EVERY LIGHT cast a REAL-TIME-DYNAMIC-SHADOW, just like in real life, that overrides anything (or mostly anything). It's not a hack anymore, there's no precomputed or vertex lighting. Yes, D3 the game doesn't have the flashy HDR feature, but the engine has it, and even if it didn't, its an EASY thing to add once you've got the source code (and I mean EASY). Doom 3's engine also has all the shader capabilites of any DX9 game, so its not weak in that area.

By the way...Ultimate17...I used to think the textures were ****ty, but I tweaked the config, and it HONEST TO GOD has the best textures I have ever seen in a game. The game automatically downsamples the specular maps to 64x64, it automatically downsamples diffuse, color and bump map, thereby lowering the quality IMMENSELY. Setting your machine to ultra settings doesn't even remove this restriction. I hand tweaked it myself, and the textures are awesome.