PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT UC - Rant

Pages : [1] 2

Elvin Presler
10-20-04, 06:00 PM
AAAaaaaarrrrrgh!!!111one!

This thread will be a detailing of how the BFG RMA process goes for me...stay tuned. Lets see if their warranty and service is what it is claimed to be. I will edit the bottom of this post with the details as they occur.

The Problem: I have had my BFG 6800GT OC for a few weeks now. I noticed texture corruption/glitches and a lot of stuttering here and there in some games. Well, after many driver versions tested, every conceivable BIOS setting, swapping my mainboard from my nForce2 > VIA KT400 and back, changing my sound card, reformat/reinstall Windows repeatedly, etc., etc., I have found out what the cause was...

The Rant: My BFG 6800GT OC is a BFG 6800GT UC, and can not handle the default 370 clock on the GPU! I under clocked it to 355 and it works fine. @#$% *^&$ why do I ALWAYS get the defective ones! Now I have to go through the long painful RMA Hell, and probably do without my PC for weeks while they drag their feet to send me someone else's old RMA that has been O/Ced to hell and destroyed to replace my brand new one that cost me $460.

@#%$ &%#, %@$# I get sick of this &%@#!!! $460 for a used, and abused refurbished card.

=============================

BFG RMA Details:

NOTE: There is a large blue sheet of paper (http://members.cox.net/junk666mail/bfgnumber.jpg) that was in the retail box with my card that says DO NOT RETURN TO STORE. Call for support.

October 20, 2004 - 2:30 PM:
Called BFG for an RMA. They asked for my name, system info, phone number, email address. Put me on hold for about 4 minutes. Came back on and told me someone else would call me back in 24 - 48 hours to do the RMA. This is annoyance #1 because now instead of having the gears already turning, I have to babysit the phone until...

October 21, 2004 - 12:30 PM:
BFG called to arrange the RMA! They wanted me to pay shipping both ways, and accept a refurbished card as a replacement. After some almost rude persuasion, telling him I would keep my card and just underclock it rather than take someone else's old fried out card, then bash the BFG name in every possible inter-place on the web, the nice fellow said he would put in a request to the warehouse for a new replacement card and pay the shipping fees. They are shipping the replacement + return shipping info first with a credit card deposit in case I don't return the defective card (understandable). Now if they send me a cr4p refurb, I can repack it and just send it right back. The replacement should arrive Wed-Thur next week according to them.

Now we wait and see if they do what they said they would. So far, so good...

October 21, 2004 - 10:30 PM:
Called them back because it just dawned on me...they never asked for my address for shipping! Doh!

October 25, 2004 - 5:30 PM:
Email arrives with the following joyfull words...

Tracking Number: xxxx xxxx xxxx
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 2.10 Lbs
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of Oct 29, 2004.

October 29, 2004 - 5:00 PM:
UPS delivers new card.
Upon inspection, it is a new card, not a refurb, and is the proper model, etc.
The box included the required return shipping labels and info.
The new card handles the default 370 speed fine, and coolbits reports optimal of 424 (wow!), but I will not O/C it. I just don't believe in it.
All artifacting from X2 - The Threat, is gone, along with several other oddities in other games, like strange, flickering lines in the Far Cry loading screens. All gone!
Freelancer still stutters like mad, so that has got to be an Nvidia driver problem.

Conclusion: NICELY DONE BFG TECHNOLOGIES!!! You have scored yourself a loyal customer who will proudly pimp your name.

Case Closed!

Cycloon
10-20-04, 06:09 PM
AAAaaaaarrrrrgh!!!111one!

I have had my BFG 6800GT OC for a few weeks now. I noticed texture corruption/glitches and a lot of stuttering here and there in some games. Well, after many driver versions tested, every conceivable BIOS setting, swapping my mainboard from my nForce2 > VIA KT400 and back, changing my sound card, reformat/reinstall Windows repeatedly, etc., etc., I have found out what the cause was...

My BFG 6800GT OC is a BFG 6800GT UC, and can not handle the default 370 clock on the GPU! I under clocked it to 355 and it works fine. @#$% *^&$ why do I ALWAYS get the defective ones! Now I have to go through the long painful RMA Hell, and probably do without my PC for weeks while they drag their feet to send me someone elses old RMA that has been O/Ced to hell and destroyed to replace my brand new one that cost me $460.

@#%$ &%#, %@$# I get sick of this &%@#!!! $460 for a used, and abused refurbished card.

Man i really know what you mean, i also always get the defective 1 of a big pile of working products......

Almost everything i buy in the shop is broken, i dont even dare to enjoy a new purchase because i know ill have to rma it within a few days....

Sorry man, i know what you are feeling....it really sucks...... :(

SigmaOrionis
10-20-04, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Will BFG cross ship with RMAs. I'm guessing not.

What kind of texture corruption did you have?

Buck Armstrong
10-20-04, 06:23 PM
Sorry man, that sucks. My first GT was bad too, but I made sure to return it before my 30 was up at NewEgg, so I could RMA it to them for a new retail box instead of taking the chance with the manufacturer's "replacement".

I know what you mean; if I pay $400 for a card, I don't want one thats already been molested by someone else...I want a shiny new part that I can violate myself. :)

Elvin Presler
10-20-04, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Will BFG cross ship with RMAs. I'm guessing not.

What kind of texture corruption did you have?

Thanks for the sympathetic inter-tears all. I'm fuming mad right now, but trying not to rant too hard and come off like an azz.

The corruption was triangle shaped black spots on characters in X2 The Threat cutscenes that were like a screen with little lines forming them and they flicker off and on very quickly all over the models. Painkiller would just have blank, black spots on floors, or wrong or corrupted textures, that would flicker from correct, to wrong and back, like this:

http://members.cox.net/junk666mail/pkanim.gif

**Artifacting Video Removed - Too much bandwidth**

I don't know how the RMA is going to work. So far I called, they did a Q&A about my system and problem, then told me someone would call in 24-48 hours to do the RMA. So I don't know what the policy is, but you can bet I will "demand" they ship me the replacement first so I can keep my PC running, that they pay all shipping, and that the RMA be a new card, not refurbished!

I went through this with ATI on my last card (Radeon 9800 Pro) and it took them 3 attempts and 4 months before they sent me a non-defective refurb. I paid shipping twice, then pitched a fit the last time and instisted they pay, ship first, and make it a new one, not a refurb. The 3rd card is working fine still. By the time I had a fully working product for my $350, the 9800XT's had been out a while and my card was a second rate has-been. for $350 + ~$80 in shipping and international long distance calls to get the RMA.

I AM NOT looking forward to this @#%$ again! :lame:

Elvin Presler
10-20-04, 07:18 PM
$@#$#$EDSFDKDSKJ@#$(UFJR#IF#R(J(ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 1

http://members.cox.net/junk666mail/failed.jpg

joeyddr
10-20-04, 07:31 PM
maybe the HSF is not contacting properly? try to apply some as5 on it.

Elvin Presler
10-20-04, 07:40 PM
maybe the HSF is not contacting properly? try to apply some as5 on it.

Did that. It runs at about 58/38 idle, 70/45 load. It's not hot, but underclocking fixes it...same temps. Also, I have never O/Ced or attempted to O/C this card. I never do and do not believe in it. This is why I pay big bucks for the latest hardware, so I don't have to risk damage to gain an extra 4 frames per second. It is also why it pizzez me off so much to get another defective card. I see all these O/Cing fanatics reporting stable clocks at 440 and the like and I can't even get mine to run stable at default or less! Then I may wind up with their old burnt out card (as a "refurbished" replacement) for my $460 in the end to add insult to injury!

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 03:49 PM
Edited my first post with more RMA details. So far, so good, but I'm still skeptical if they will do as promised and a bit annoyed at the original offer to have me pay shipping both ways and accept a refurbed/used/repaired but still half fried card (IE: someone O/Ced or installed it wrong and fried the GPU. The GPU was replaced, but the RAM and everything else has still been abused and will fail much sooner than that on my original, brand new $460 card). If they do as agreed/persuaded, then I will happily forgive the bad card and continue praising the BFG name.

If all goes as expected now, I will not suffer anything but the trip to the post office to return the bad card, and the hastle already of troubleshooting the problem...as it should be when you buy high end, expensive as heck hardware.

bkswaney
10-21-04, 03:52 PM
Edited my first post with more RMA details. So far, so good, but I'm still skeptical if they will do as promised and a bit annoyed at the original offer to have me pay shipping both ways and accept a refurbed/used/repaired but still half fried card (IE: someone O/Ced or installed it wrong and fried the GPU. The GPU was replaced, but the RAM and everything else has still been abused and will fail much sooner than that on my original, brand new $460 card). If they do as agreed/persuaded, then I will happily forgive the bad card and continue praising the BFG name.

BFG does NOT send out refurbs.
You will get a new card.
They are a great company to deal with. :ORDER:

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 03:58 PM
I specifically asked, and was told in no uncertain terms, it would be a refurbished card, until I requested *firmly* otherwise. I was also told I would be billed on my CC for the shipping from them to me, and would have to pay shipping from me to them to send in the old one. The nice man at BFG could have been mistaken, but that is what he told me.

This has been dealt with now though and a more favorable arrangement agreed upon. I don't mean to come across as a BFG basher at all. Hopefully I'm not, and this will end in a week with me saying how great they were to deal with. Most of my skepticism comes from my dealings with ATI to RMA my Radeon 9800 Pro (3 times before they got it right). Prior to that, I never had a bad card from ATI or Nvidia out of the 20 or so I have owned, but the last 2 high end cards I have bought were both lemons.

With the 3 ATI RMA's, there were comments along the lines of, "Dude! You must have something else wrong with your PC!" and at times I started to believe that, but after much testing on both my main systems, 3 out of the 4 ATI cards (original + 3 RMA's) were fried, and the 4th, the last replacement, is still working perfectly in both those systems, so no...it was defective cards being "refurbed" and sent right back out to me, still defective as ever.

As I told the nice man at BFG, I would accept a refurb if my card were a year old and had at some point worked properly, but it is not! It's a brand new, high end, $460 card that was defective from day one. I want a new card that is not defective, and I am not willing to pay another dime (shipping) for it! I don't think that is too much to ask.

renegade77
10-21-04, 04:30 PM
Yeh man , well said!!!!

hypertek
10-21-04, 04:47 PM
maybe ur agp fsb is too high?

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 05:12 PM
maybe ur agp fsb is too high?

No. I never overclock anything and everything is in good working order, except the video card. I have a second PC to test all this with and a second motherboard and sound card for this main PC I have tested with. That's basically 3 different setups.

Windows XP Pro SP1
MSI K7N2 Delta-L nForce 2 board
AMD XP2700 (333)
1 Gig PC2700 (333) (matched pair 2x512 dual chanel)
BFG 6800GT OC
Chaintech AV-710 VIA Envy24 HT-S Sound

superklye
10-21-04, 10:28 PM
Ugh, good luck with all of this, dude.

Fatman
10-21-04, 10:39 PM
Elvin, I was in an even worse situation with BFG. First card had pink lines/dots all over screen in 3D apps. I send it in, pay the shipping charges and wait for 5 days. I call them, they tell me my card was shipped! I ask for tracking number and the dude on the phone goes silent. Two supervisors later I find out that somehow my case was mis-filed, but I shouldn't worry cause their system says it was sent. I tell them to call the warehouse and ask someone on the floor if my card was sent. They tell me they have no way of contacting the warehouse... The next day I dial in ask directly for the manager and tell him my story. He looks into it and tells me that my case is definitely screwed up and nothing was sent. So he goes to work and sends out a card on that same day. I get the card few days later, viola, DOA! MOTHER*(^*&%! So I call them in, tell them the story, and they bring up the whole process again, you ship to us, we ship you replacement. So I told them flat out, go screw your mama, im taking this pos back to the store, with the slip that says do not return to the store and getting my money back. Guess what? Drove to BestBuy, gave them back the card and got my money back. Now in all fairness, maybe it was just my experience. But if you ask me, I say PNY owns BFGs support on all counts. Not to mention the fact that PNY is in Jersey so whatever they ship gets to me over night. After 3 generations of PNY, I made an effort to switch to BFG, and it looks like i'm gonna be with PNY for a while...

noko
10-21-04, 10:50 PM
I wish these companies sell the refurbish cards vice trying to give it to someone with a bad card. Chances are you will add insult to injury and is bad policy. Only time a refurbish card should be given out is if the model is no longer manufactured. I doubt a company can adequately test the returned cards in multiple games, programs and enviroments to say the card is refurbished. Besides they are not replacing GPU's, chips, resistors and what not. Since BFG waits for cards to be shipped to them from overseas also tells me they do not do manufacturing here in the states meaning the chances that they will actually do a repair I think would be rare. So a test and out they go is likely.

BFG could sell the the failed cards at a lower core/mem setting if they actually work, don't pawn them off to frustrated customers who just paid big bucks all excitted over their new card to be utterly dazed when it doesn't work right. That is not how to make a profit, happy customers bring in gobs of new customers. A few sour customers (a bad apple) can ruin alot of potential customers (many apples). I hope they come through, make sure you give this thread here so that they can make a positive impact for more people to buy from them.

renegade77
10-22-04, 12:12 AM
900 post HARDCORE DUDE!!!!!!!!

renegade77
10-22-04, 12:13 AM
srry that wanst topic related, forgive my spam

StoNer
10-22-04, 01:14 AM
Im currently waiting for an RMA from BFG. I sent mine priority mail with tracking and insurance and it cost me 16 bux. The guy told me i have to wait 2 weeks because there was no GTs in stock at the time. He said if it took any longer than the 2 weeks and there was no GT then they are going to send me an Ultra.

My card got there yesterday so ill see what happens :P

Elvin Presler
10-22-04, 01:24 AM
What was wrong with yours, if I may ask? Same as mine? Was it stuttering (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39173)?

They told me they were shipping mine tomorrow or the next day at the latest and to expect it Wednesday'ish.

EDIT: As I was typing this reply, it dawned on me....they never asked me my address! I just called and gave it to them. Sheesh!
(newb)

StoNer
10-22-04, 03:16 AM
nah nothin like that, My card was gettin high temps so i went to check the heatsink contact and one of the screws on the heatsink was just sitting on top of the spring and when i took out my card to check contact with the heatsink the screw and spring fell out on my lap.

So i called up BFG and they told me to RMA it.

They probably rushed u one cuz u had such a bad experience with their card.

My RMA however was lower on the priority list i suppose :rolleyes:

Elvin Presler
10-26-04, 02:58 AM
It has shipped! Oh, it's going to be a long week now.

Elvin Presler
10-29-04, 09:02 PM
BFG Tech. came through! All promises were honored and the new card is great! See first post for details...if you care.

Nice job, and thanks to BFG!

SigmaOrionis
10-29-04, 10:11 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Everytime I've called BFG they have always been very polite and helpful. Never had to do an RMA through them. Knocks on Wood:)

Now that you have your new card. Are you gonna keep it or are you planning on switching to ATI? Just curious.