PDA

View Full Version : I think Nvidia should do the same thing as what ATI is doing right now.

Pages : [1] 2

lamarodom007
10-20-04, 05:11 PM
They should update their driver every each month. i am getting fxxking tired of it. all driver i tried contains at least one major bug. 3 years ago. Nvidia has a great driver support which ATI dont. Which is the bigplus to put them to the top of the world. Butta now what. All fxxking beta driver. and havent realesed official driver for like what, 3 month. i am getting tired of it. wake up Nvidia. plz wake up.

saturnotaku
10-20-04, 05:23 PM
They should update their driver every each month.

And have them fall into the same trap as ATI - fix one thing, break about 10 others? Hardly.

If it's such a problem, there's nothing stopping you from buying a Radeon.

lamarodom007
10-20-04, 06:51 PM
And have them fall into the same trap as ATI - fix one thing, break about 10 others? Hardly.

If it's such a problem, there's nothing stopping you from buying a Radeon.

At least everytime we know that major bug will be solved no longer than one month..... u get that. i am switch back to x800xt. seriously if i aint see any improvement on drivers. Kinda of regrett to buy a 6800 at this point.

Pandora's Box
10-20-04, 06:59 PM
At least everytime we know that major bug will be solved no longer than one month..... u get that. i am switch back to x800xt. seriously if i aint see any improvement on drivers. Kinda of regrett to buy a 6800 at this point.

yeap same here. cept im switching for a pro at 550mhz core, 1000 mhz memory.

saturnotaku
10-20-04, 07:01 PM
At least everytime we know that major bug will be solved no longer than one month..... u get that.

And what about the 10,000 other little bugs - OpenGL gamma for instance that has taken ATI no less than 10 months to at least start resolving. And hell, ATI didn't even fix it...Omega did with his drivers. My X800 Pro still has a couple nagging problems but it's nowhere near as bad as before.

I don't think asking for quality as opposed to quantity is asking too much.

lamarodom007
10-20-04, 08:28 PM
And what about the 10,000 other little bugs - OpenGL gamma for instance that has taken ATI no less than 10 months to at least start resolving. And hell, ATI didn't even fix it...Omega did with his drivers. My X800 Pro still has a couple nagging problems but it's nowhere near as bad as before.

I don't think asking for quality as opposed to quantity is asking too much.

what u mean is that NVIDIA has quality drivers????????????? A company that didnt released one official driver in last 3 month isnt concern as quality. Bugs everywhere even with 61.77.

ChrisRay
10-20-04, 08:48 PM
Since you seem to be perverting common sense, Do you honestly think if Nvidia turned its driver leaks into official releases, The Software would be any different than its current state? The "official" tag wouldnt change the current/state quality of the actual drivers.

Pandora's Box
10-20-04, 09:04 PM
Since you seem to be perverting common sense, Do you honestly think if Nvidia turned its driver leaks into official releases, The Software would be any different than its current state? The "official" tag wouldnt change the current/state quality of the actual drivers.

yes it would. mind over matter.

ChrisRay
10-20-04, 09:08 PM
yes it would. mind over matter.

Dont seem logical to me. Nvidias driver team is operating as usual. Assuming they turned there "leaked" drivers and just made them official, It would be very unlikely they would fix/crunch anymore bugs from release to release verses leak to leak. Only difference would be is people would stop "worrying" about Certified/Official Drivers.

If these drivers are as "bad" as ppl say they are, (which I dont agree with) Then releasing them monthly wouldnt be a solution either, As they'd be just as bad and "Incomplete" As you all are claiming the betas to be.

mobilenvidia
10-20-04, 09:18 PM
What's all this bickering about, nVidia is no better or worse than ATI.
They both release buggy drivers and call them Official.
They can charge a fortune for the latest GPU's, knowing that you guys will buy them regardless.
In the end the fastest GPU gets bought, it has become a race, and the race comes at the expense of quality.
Every 6 months a new series of GPU comes out and it starts all over again.
But in the 6 month gap nVidia/ATI are already working on the next series, and the release of all the sub series GPU's (ie 6600/6200)
The Software developer (Drivers) can't keep up, they don't have time to fix the small bugs as they are spening too much time keeping up with new GPU's

My 2c worth.

Xav
10-20-04, 09:45 PM

Never saw that one month fix thing with my 9800..heck it took a year for them to fix KOTOR crashing.

EverGreen
10-21-04, 08:26 AM
Ati just brings out new features in their new driver release for noobs how to install and tweak settings improvement with a nice game screen for all speedup to quality settings...
Well if Nvidia will not behind it it must launch the same idea for their new upcomming drivers, but one item is proally the biggest problem they make one driver for all nvidia cards from the TNT upwards to the latest PCI Express ones.
This is an huge ammount of cards, every optimized code must be working correctly on each card and on each system.
They got a enormous super computer working for all those new calculations, some codes runs great with some cards and other won't run.
They had break the tweaking community in the past and had forbidden to release drivers bring out under tweakers mod drivers their names.
All those mod tweakers switched over to ATI and so hey got now a better leading team for making WHQL each month.
IF the mod community gets back for Nvidia, then there more girls & guys can work it out to fix the bad beta drivers to real WHQL, Omega still did his work!

We can better ask nvidia how we all can help them out for better driver support before we flaming about bad beta drivers........

mobilenvidia
10-21-04, 12:38 PM
IF the mod community gets back for Nvidia, then there more girls & guys can work it out to fix the bad beta drivers to real WHQL, Omega still did his work!

We can better ask nvidia how we all can help them out for better driver support before we flaming about bad beta drivers........

Omega no longer modifies the NVCPL.DLL file dirctly as this is where nVidia had the biggest worry.
He now only adds the mods via the INF, with less impact.
Like you said these guys like Omega have been taken onboard by ATI and since ATI have caught up with nVidia and in some cases gone ahead.

CainSyris
10-22-04, 05:02 AM
My experience with ATI's much-vaunted "Driver release every month" that they wind up being behind in releasing drivers to fix much-played games. An example of this was Painkiller, which came out at such a time and had a bug so surprising to ATI that they admitted that it would not be the next driver release (a month), but the driver release afterward (two months) before they'd even start to have a fix. Two months and a game's old. People complained, but if its not a BIG title (aka Call of Duty or Doom 3 or 3dmark 2005), it doesn't get the "hot fix" (aka beta) treatment.

That was the common refrain I had with ATI's driver releases. They were in such a rush to get bug-free, tested drivers that they barely made any improvements. With nVidia's, they don't worry about if its bugfree, they work toward making the improvements and THEN removing the bugs, which is why so many of the betas work on some people's computers and don't work on others. They haven't been fully ironed out.

ATI is at least trying to iron out its betas and thus seems imho too absorbed in trying to make every "beta" available for public consumption they accomplish little in the meantime of game optimization/improvement.

Having had ATI for two years, going back to nVidia drivers was a refreshing change of pace. Don't know how others might complain about it because of how bad ATI's drivers still were (when I had my R9800 Pro before this GT), but hey... you're free to be wrong, right? ;)

Arioch
10-22-04, 08:29 AM
I was a happy owner of a 9800 Pro for almost two years, then a X800 Pro for a month that went to a friend and a X800XT PE that I had for 2 months before getting my 6800 Ultra.

I think people are falling into the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" trap when talking about drivers. ATI has come a long way in a few years but their drivers are far from perfect. I can also say that Nvidia's drivers are not perfect either. Seeing people make posts threatening to sell the video card X and buy video card Y just doesn't make sense to me because of my personal experiences with both companies over the years. Don't get me wrong I would love to get some new official drivers but I do not want them releasing drivers more often for the sake of just that.

racingx
10-22-04, 10:15 AM
Never saw that one month fix thing with my 9800..heck it took 2 years for them to fix KOTOR crashing.

Really? I played KOTOR 3 times through with Cats 3.7 with my old trusty 9800pro and had not one single crash. And to think that was only a year ago man how time flys.

ragejg
10-22-04, 10:32 AM
I think you should all feel lucky that there are driver updates PERIOD. My god, of all the things to pick at and decide to switch over. Jeebus. What makes me madder is all the ppl who aren't willing to use non-WHQL divers, like they're gonna break their cards or something. Those of you who are too scared to use non-WHQL drivers should realize that the leaking of these drivers is nv's way of helping out those with problems... going through the time, effort, and money to get them certified is just pointless if there are other problems that aren't solved yet. The two companies release drivers in different ways. ATI is admittedly slower in their fixing of problems, and Nv is admittedly slower in releasing drivers with the oh-so-golden WHQL stamp. Get used to it/deal with it/etc...

Xav
10-22-04, 11:31 AM
Really? I played KOTOR 3 times through with Cats 3.7 with my old trusty 9800pro and had not one single crash. And to think that was only a year ago man how time flys.

Interesting that..I was using the same drivers on my trusty 9800Pro and that was about, oh 2 months ago. Crash, crash, crash. Time hasn't flown enough to erase my memory of that frustration.

BTW, the ATi 3dmark05 optimized cats that came out a few weeks ago claimed to finally fix that bug....long time to wait, no?

FYI- ATI has just released a beta of 8.07 in which has been made available!

ATI has decided to make the 8.07 beta driver available to the public for a variety of reasons:
The 8.07 beta driver fixes a random hang issue with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic when loading / switching levels. We have received a significant number of bug reports for this issue and feel that it should be addressed as quickly as possible.

DMA
10-22-04, 01:57 PM
I think people are falling into the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" trap when talking about drivers.

Heh, exactly.
I'm actually thinking about selling my X800 and get a 6800GT..again. :) I'm annoyed with ATI's drivers atm, just as i disliked NVIDIA's when i had a GT.
Me <<-- :screwy:

But the drivers today is fantastic compared to..say 3-4 years ago. Now you can actually play a game for 10 hours straight and it won't crash. :o

theultimo
10-22-04, 07:50 PM
Heh, exactly.
I'm actually thinking about selling my X800 and get a 6800GT..again. :) I'm annoyed with ATI's drivers atm, just as i disliked NVIDIA's when i had a GT.
Me <<-- :screwy:

But the drivers today is fantastic compared to..say 3-4 years ago. Now you can actually play a game for 10 hours straight and it won't crash. :o

Yeah, my 9600XT was fine w/drivers, but Rage MAXX support was terrible.

lostboyuk
10-22-04, 08:30 PM
there all bull****terz ...they love cummin eer.to see if their latest fix might be around.

crainger
10-24-04, 06:31 PM
Never saw that one month fix thing with my 9800..heck it took 2 years for them to fix KOTOR crashing.

Has KOTOR even been out that long??

Xav
10-24-04, 06:51 PM
Has KOTOR even been out that long??

First post edited a bit due to me stepping into a mild time warp.

evilchris
10-25-04, 12:16 PM

LOL yeah right. Is that why the 16 bit texture bug in OpenGL lasted for 7 driver revisions? Is that why the Call of Duty crash bug started in 3.8 lasted till 4.2? Ok...

saturnotaku
10-25-04, 12:32 PM
The 8.07 betas are the best drivers I've used from ATI since the 3.9 cats. Everything I play is working exceptionally well considering the garbage they have been releasing for the last year. Although I have fallen into the trap of thinking, "Wow, great drivers, maybe it will keep getting better from here," I've learned my lesson and will remain skeptical of all future releases, until I can get at least 3 straight months of drivers that have good performance in new games while not breaking older stuff.