PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Drivers/Video card

Mithan
10-20-04, 06:44 PM
Today, I installed a second hard drive (WD ATA133 120 Gig drive). I have a 74 gig Raptor SATA as my primary.

After the installation, something weird happend.

After booting my system up and right after the Windows XP screen went away, a screen with some garbage appeared and about 15 seconds later, my monitor went into sleep mode.

I played with a bit (removed the hard drive thinking my psu wasn't enough, etc), but eventually I loaded up the system in Safe Mode.

In safe mode, everything loads up fine.

So, I decided to nuke out the nVidia Drivers totally, and reboot.

Again, system rebooted fine.

Then I reinstalled the 61.77 drivers and rebooted.
Same thing happened, I got a blank screen after the WIndows XP screen went away and the monitor went into sleep mode a few seconds later.

REmoving the drivers allowed me to reboot and get the system up and working.

Does anybody have a clue what could of happened?

okra
10-22-04, 02:37 PM
no idea what's happening - that's just plain odd.

I would suggest trying out a different driver set, maybe the 65.73's, and see if that solves the problem.

Have you tried unplugging your new hard drive's power, and see if it lets you boot up at that point? If it does, I'd take a guess at a PSU issue - as in there's not enough power to go around.

But I'd check the driver version as well to see if that's it.

Lemme know what's up, and how big of a PSU you have if it is still a no-go.

lostboyuk
10-22-04, 08:19 PM
if you`ve got a spare gfx card try slotting that in.If it still don`t boot...........well it sounds like a psu prob.

Zubir
10-23-04, 12:47 AM
Today, I installed a second hard drive (WD ATA133 120 Gig drive). I have a 74 gig Raptor SATA as my primary.

After the installation, something weird happend.

After booting my system up and right after the Windows XP screen went away, a screen with some garbage appeared and about 15 seconds later, my monitor went into sleep mode.

I played with a bit (removed the hard drive thinking my psu wasn't enough, etc), but eventually I loaded up the system in Safe Mode.

In safe mode, everything loads up fine.

So, I decided to nuke out the nVidia Drivers totally, and reboot.

Again, system rebooted fine.

Then I reinstalled the 61.77 drivers and rebooted.
Same thing happened, I got a blank screen after the WIndows XP screen went away and the monitor went into sleep mode a few seconds later.

REmoving the drivers allowed me to reboot and get the system up and working.

Does anybody have a clue what could of happened?

The same exact thing happened to me, today, except it started with a the blue screen of death (memory dump,) and continues even after reformatting. Like you, I can boot into safe mode, but nothing else. I'm thinking it's one of the following, or a comination of two or more:

1) Service pack 2
2) Nvidia's drivers
3) The card itself (BFG 6800 O/C)

P.S. I'm also using a SATA drive in my system. Are you by chance using a VIA chipset? My board is a MSI Neo-FSR.

mezkal
10-23-04, 12:56 AM
I'd say it's SP2. It's more than likely some combination of DEP stuffing up (ie locking you out of your pofile in Windows) due to something not being 100% in the NV drivers.

saweetnesstrev
11-11-05, 07:32 PM
This happened to me ever since i installed 81.89 drivers but it worked fine intill today, my mouse cursor froze and i restarted and all of a sudden i got a BSOD. then it restarted now my screen goes blank and monitor goes into standby after the loading of windows xp.. This is crap :( i reformatted twice, clean my hd ect.. Reinstalled different drivers,, used driver cleaner ect.. I am out of ideas.. Any help appreciated.. Why does all of this stuff happen to me? :( I think the drivers coruppted my hd or something.

saweetnesstrev
11-12-05, 01:58 AM
bump ive been trying to fix it :( no idea how.. :( :(

saweetnesstrev
11-12-05, 06:23 AM
tryed fixing it for 4-6 more hours,, i get a NV4_DISP blue screen now after awhile after its been on standby...

Pennyboy
11-12-05, 04:22 PM
I had the same problem I fixed it by a clean install and using the Nforce 4 v6.70 drivers and Forceware v81.87. I know this probably doesn't help u guys since you have different hardware but I would recommend trying Forceware 78.01 or 05 since they were quite stable for me.

saweetnesstrev
11-12-05, 09:57 PM
I had the same problem I fixed it by a clean install and using the Nforce 4 v6.70 drivers and Forceware v81.87. I know this probably doesn't help u guys since you have different hardware but I would recommend trying Forceware 78.01 or 05 since they were quite stable for me.

Thanks penny so much for your help... Ive tryed everything, do i have to rma my video card???

saweetnesstrev
11-13-05, 07:57 PM
Video Card is a BFG 5700 Ultra,, Should i RMA it? And if so since theres no more BFG FX 5700 Ultra cards will i get a upgrade or can i pay for a upgrade for less? I dont know how this works.. Thanks.

saweetnesstrev
11-14-05, 07:15 AM
Finally fixed my problem,, i install tons of new drivers and nforce drivers ect.. geez took me forever!! tyvm for your support on my dillema

saweetnesstrev
11-18-05, 04:52 AM
Not fixes im getting it again,, im on safe mode now,, it boots up then gives me black screen then finnaly gets NV4_DISP looping error everytime a display device driver installed,, i rma my card and hopefully its the cause.

Quick420
11-19-05, 07:24 AM
Could ya try the card in another system?

saweetnesstrev
11-19-05, 10:57 AM
No i cannot :( i got a RMA number so im sending it in monday, but im gonna try to get it to work cause im not sure its the graphic card cause im on safe mode,, and i can get into normal mode without any device drivers installed,, even the one after installing windows gives me NV4_DISP error.

saweetnesstrev
11-20-05, 06:16 AM
even the drivers installed with windows xp sp2 does this stuff... as soon as windows xpsp2 installed it loads up ,, NV4_DISP error but i can go on safe mode,, and if i delete the drivers i can log on normal mode till it installs.. It doesnt make sense.

saweetnesstrev
11-21-05, 07:13 AM
If i have a defective card how is that i can be on safe mode, or normal mode without drivers?

saweetnesstrev
12-05-05, 03:35 AM
I Rma'd my card and got a 5900 for my 5700 ,, BFG is the best i recommend them.. Now my puter works :) tyvm

Pennyboy
12-05-05, 07:25 PM
Good to hear you are going again!! I hate PC problems my PC was randomely turning off it started doing it a month ago and had been getting worse!! I RMA's my PSU and so far so good I hope to hell this solves it I only put it in last night. I haven't been able to sleep, eat for days because my PC was sick!!