PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Series 8 Bit Palletized Textures (FF7)

Sovereignxp
10-20-04, 10:25 PM
I heard ATi products do not support 8 Bit Palletized Textures.

I know Nvidia products are supposed to support 8 Bit Palletized Textures.

Well it seems that FF7 Detects there aren't any. WTF?

Is this removed from the 6800 series line???

Is there a hack to enable 8 Bit Palletized Textures?!?

I was wanting to know because I would like to run the old school FF7 for the pc in d3d hardware mode with AA. All I can do is run it in crap ass software mode. :(

Oh yeah I have the latest patch to allow FF7 to run in Windows XP, checking TNT or Riva 128 doesnt help. :(

ChrisRay
10-20-04, 10:33 PM
The 6800 Series does not support this.

Sovereignxp
10-20-04, 10:34 PM
Damn! :(

ChrisRay
10-20-04, 10:36 PM
Yes, The Nv3x was the last series to have support for this feature, It doesnt surprise me its finally going the way of the Dinosaur though, Since you wont find it any common games.

EciDemon
10-20-04, 10:55 PM
8 Bit Palletized Textures seems to be enabled for me in rivatuner. But I have not tested ff7 on this card yet so I dunno.

ChrisRay
10-20-04, 11:16 PM
Trust me, 8 bit is not supported. I asked Nvidia myself on this one and got a responce on this one. They said with the move to DXT compression, The need for such support is not neccasary, The Nv3x was the last to support it.

Sovereignxp
10-21-04, 12:08 AM
I wonder if it is possible for some guru to write a program that can emulate 8 Bit Palletized Textures?

Some kind of d3d wrapper emulator? Emulate nv3x or somthing...

Subtestube
10-21-04, 12:20 AM
You can certainly have your card misreport its identity using 3d Analyze... no idea how well it'd work for something like this though.

Sovereignxp
10-21-04, 12:40 AM
Drat! I Tried 3d-analyze, had it emulate a ti4600, still no luck, can't even find an option to emulate 8 Bit Palletized Textures. :(

marsomega
10-21-04, 09:29 AM
There was an article once on the idea of emulation. Don't remember where, but it concerned FF7 (DUH). Wait, it was also on the beyond3d forums. Basically emulating it would be extremely slow, had something to do with physical side of the gpu etc... Do a search, I'm definitely sure there has been HUNDREDS of discussions on beyond3d forums.

Sovereignxp
10-21-04, 11:04 PM
I'll have to check that out.

I wish Square would re release a revamped version of FF7 that works on modern hardware.

IMO I think FF7 is one of the best RPG's that square have ever created.

FF7 is still quite popular, as it has spawned a Movie Advent Children, a new game for the PS2 staring Vincent, and a cell phone based game.

Well thnx for the replys everyone.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

ChrisRay
10-21-04, 11:15 PM
Why dont you guys just use a PSX emulator... And run the game @ 1600x1200 With 8xS Anti Aliasing? Simple on any Geforce 6800 card,

Plus it'll look/sound better anyway.

mustrum
10-22-04, 04:20 AM
Why dont you guys just use a PSX emulator... And run the game @ 1600x1200 With 8xS Anti Aliasing? Simple on any Geforce 6800 card,

Plus it'll look/sound better anyway.
Because wo own the PC version?

ChrisRay
10-22-04, 07:18 AM
Because wo own the PC version?

The PSX version can be had for like 15 dollars at any bargain bin, If you can go through the hassle to play the PC version (Which I own as well and have ultimately buried) then you can just as easily buy the PSX version and enjoy it,

Considering people are asking for them rerelease and update this game. Lets not be the master of the obvious. Once again mustrum you didnt read the post directly above. Which it was asked for Squaresoft to rerelease the game with updated graphics/resolution/compatibility.

superbooga
10-22-04, 08:13 AM
I'll have to check that out.

I wish Square would re release a revamped version of FF7 that works on modern hardware.

IMO I think FF7 is one of the best RPG's that square have ever created.

FF7 is still quite popular, as it has spawned a Movie Advent Children, a new game for the PS2 staring Vincent, and a cell phone based game.

Well thnx for the replys everyone.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

Eidos was responsible for the PC versions of FFVII and FFVIII, so I doubt there's going to be any future patches.

Anyways, I agree 100 PERCENT.... no make that 110%, that if you want to play FFVII on the PC, get the PSX version and use an emulator. You'll get better graphics, better music, better CG, and you won't even have to install the game. Of course, the number of save games will be limited, but that's a minor negative, plus you can always copy/swap emulated memory cards.