PDA

View Full Version : GPU Driver requirements for Windows "Longhorn"

Superfly
10-21-04, 03:40 PM
Aero Glass is the name for Longhorns Hardware accelerated desktop - a feature thats gonna be so cool in the next gen Windows.

It has some rather high GPU/Driver requirements though:

At least 64 MB graphics memory
Required for Aero Glass experience

Recommended: 128 MB or greater

Support at least 32 bits per pixel (bpp)
Required

Support advanced 3D hardware acceleration with capabilities equal to DirectX 9
Required for Aero Glass experience

Vertex Shader 2.0; Full Screen Anti-aliasing (FSAA); hardware accelerated Texturing and Lighting (T&L); and D3DDEVCAPS_PUREDEVICE— that is, the graphics device supports creating a “pure device.” where little state is mirrored by the runtime for performance reasons and Get* calls are not guaranteed to work. The graphics device driver does additional work to compensate for the runtime doing less work. Specifically: State-block parsing is done in the driver, and some calls such as Clear() are handled completely by the driver.

Better upgrade those mid range cards guys - eek!!!!!!

LINK: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx#EEAA

Mr. Hunt
10-21-04, 03:54 PM
Sounds pretty awesome... hopefully all goes well with everything WORKING :).

Superfly
10-21-04, 04:05 PM
Longhorn is indeed rather interesting, shame its being produced by Microsoft!!

Omega53
10-21-04, 04:16 PM
Longhorn is indeed rather interesting, shame its being produced by Microsoft!!

:rolleyes:

Superfly
10-21-04, 04:23 PM
Yup - Im a BIG Microsoft fan.

:angel2:

Zelda_fan
10-21-04, 04:35 PM
well, MS got a lot better with 2000 & XP, so I think Longhorn will be even better.

The GPU reset feature seems like an excellent one for reliability. To be honest, I haven't had a crash with XP in a long time.

camelot
10-21-04, 06:30 PM
Yup - Im a BIG Microsoft fan.

:angel2:

So your running Linux or using a Mac right now then? Because you wouldnt be a hypocrite and slam MS while using their products now, would you? :rolleyes:

Skrot
10-21-04, 06:52 PM
So your running Linux or using a Mac right now then? Because you wouldnt be a hypocrite and slam MS while using their products now, would you? :rolleyes:Hey it is quite reasonable to dislike something that you are more or less forced into using.

Edit: Changed the logic of my statement so it said what I wanted to, not the opposite :)

lognoronon
10-21-04, 07:18 PM
Well if you hope to be able to use most software/games out there then you have to bite the bullet and use a microsuck product. It's not being hypocritical rather it's being realistic.