PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Stuttering

Pages : [1] 2 3

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 04:02 PM
**Video Links Removed - too much bandwidth** . Quality isn't great, but I suggest running it full screen so you can see the stutter better. There are 5 obvious stutters (much more obvious when playing the game) in this 14 second video.

OK. I've tried all I know to fix this horrid stuttering. Can anyone tell me what might be causing it? My BFG 6800GT OC card is having trouble running at the default 370 clock (RMA in progress (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39103)), so this video was done with it clocked at 350. 800x600, with graphic effects turned down for smoother Fraps recording, no AA, no audio at all...and still it stutters! I hope it's because my card is defective, so the new one will fix it, but I suspect not. Does anyone else here play Freelancer on a 6800GT? Is it smooth? What driver?

For reference, Freelancer is not a graphically demanding game and ran smooth as silk even on my old PC's with GF4 Ti4400 or Radeon 9800 Pro cards. I have tried F/W on & off, AGP aperture 128, 256, every driver available, 2 sound cards and no sound card, 2 different mainboards (nForce 2 and VIA KT400, XP SP1 and 2. All games I play are stuttering. Some more than others.

*Listens*.....

Windows XP Pro SP1
MSI K7N2 Delta-L nForce 2 board
AMD XP2700 (333)
1 Gig PC2700 (333) (matched pair 2x512 dual chanel)
BFG 6800GT OC
Chaintech AV-710 VIA Envy24 HT-S Sound (irrelevant, it does it with no sound card too)

-=DVS=-
10-21-04, 05:28 PM
Hmm you already treid everything , maybe problem is with something else , could be software related ( try without fraps or anything else running just the game ), can also try running your rams at higher timeings 3-3-3 ...

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 06:08 PM
Well, I just hope RMA'ing the card sorts it then, because this PC is my gaming rig and is about as lean as it can be. All useless Windows "features" and services are disabled, like System Restore, Themes, Automatic Updates. Only 13 or so processes running. It gets defragged and registry cleaned maticulously. No spyware. It has no virus scanner or firewall software, no goofy codec packs. It's running on an Antec 430 Truepower with only 1 hard drive, 1 DVDROM drive, the video card, sound card, and network card with no IRQ shares, etc.

I can't think of anything else to do with it. Hopefully there is one little thing I overlooked and someone will pick up on it. Oh, and I already tried the thing with Riva Tuner in the sticky thread. It didn't solve it in the least bit for me.

Anyone else got any ideas? Ever solved a stuttering problem? How? This one has me stumped. 2 different mainboards, 2 different sound cards, no sound card at all. I just finished removing the network card, all USB devices and used the mouse in PS/2, so it was nothing but a video card, sound card in there. I even removed the 6800GT and put my old faithfull GF4 Ti 4400 in and it still stuttered! It's not running hot. My monitor is a big 21" with nice fast refresh rates. Anyone? Any clue?

john19055
10-21-04, 08:53 PM
Most any kind of temperture and voltage monitor device and sometimes fraps will cause studdering because when it updates it will have a slight pause and longer considering how long it takes to update,I always shut down everthing in the task bar when playing a game.I was playing a game one time and it kept pauseing and I could'nt figure what it was I changed ever setting and changed drivers and the whole time was because I had my motherboard monitor on and when I shut that down ,the pauses or studdering went away.

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 08:57 PM
OK. I don't have any kind of monitoring unless it's in Nvidia's drivers. I don't run Fraps except when recording that video. Hmmm...what else could be polling or monitoring....I'm thinking...

*eyeballs wdfmgr.exe suspiciously* This started near the time I got Media Player 10...I'll get back to you on this one...

http://members.cox.net/junk666mail/tskmngr.jpg

From http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

"Microsoft’s User Mode Driver Manager service. At the time of writing this service gets installed on Windows XP when you either install Windows Media Player 10, or when you upgrade to Service Pack 2 for Windows XP."

Zetto
10-21-04, 09:22 PM
Uhm, i thought there was already a huge thread devoted to stuttering :D

That said, Freelancer is great game aint it? I wanted to install it and try it on 6800 for a long time :D Did u play FL with any mods? If so, which ones would advise to try out first? thx :D

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 09:33 PM
The only one I saw was the one devoted to RivaTuner that did nothing for me.

wdfmgr.exe was not the cause. I disabled the service and it s..s...st....stuttered like mad anyway. I'm not convinced Media Player 10 is innocent yet though. Time to go reinstall Windows clean and test right off before any updates, apps or anything other than basic drivers. Will report back after....

Yeah, I dig Freelancer. It's a good "change of pace" game...when it doesn't st.s.st.ST...stu.stutter. I haven't seen any mods I like yet. They're all buggy as hell. Sir Warwicks 24/7 server is great though! No lag even playing from the US > UK and he has modded a lot of things server side that make it much harder than normal servers. NPC's use shield bats and nanos like they were free. Dreadaughts and the like all over the place.

bkswaney
10-21-04, 09:36 PM
I just do not see how some have stuttering.
I have not had one bit. Not even when I had 512 megs of ram.
Now with 1gig I sure want have any. :D ;)

All I know to say is 3 letters. "AMD"

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 09:39 PM
I just do not see how some have stuttering.
I have not had one bit. Not even when I had 512 megs of ram.
Now with 1gig I sure want have any. :D ;)

All I know to say is 3 letters. "AMD"

I would have said the same thing 2 months ago. AMD what? Cause or solution? I do have a Pentium 4 2.4 sitting right here too...but the mainboard I have it in is only 4x AGP. Oh, and it's a lot slower than my AMD XP2700 too.

bkswaney
10-21-04, 09:45 PM
I would have said the same thing 2 months ago. AMD what? Cause or solution? I do have a Pentium 4 2.4 sitting right here too...but the mainboard I have it in is only 4x AGP. Oh, and it's a lot slower than my AMD XP2700 too.

It was a joke. ;)
I had problems with my last AMD rig.
I had stuttering problems I never did get fixed with a 9800Pro. :(

Jethro
10-21-04, 10:17 PM
The card demanding alot more power than your previous one could be the issue. What PSU are you running? Have you tried more AGP volts, more RAM juice? A bad stick of ram can cause stutters as well. Perhaps lower ram timings. 4way enabled? Might try different ram slots to. Even if your not clocking 1gb of ram often likes a tad more volts.

Just some ideas. My AMD socket A setup is smoking fast smooth as can be ATM.

Kerrysucks
10-21-04, 10:49 PM
Try running at 4X AGP. It really doesn't hurt performance and has helped me out in United Offensive.

Elvin Presler
10-21-04, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions in the last 2 posts. I did try 1.6v on the AGP, but not on the RAM. The PSU is Antec 430 Truepower...plenty. The RAM is good. I don't think I've tried 4X AGP yet but I will. I'm still reinstalling WXP right now. Almost done enough to start testing. I'm going with SP1, DX9.0c, nForce2 chipset, video, and sound drivers only to start. If it stutters, it's Nvidia's fault!

I did install and run the game on my second PC (P4 2.4, 512 megs PC2700, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro) and it ran so buttery smooth, and looked so much more crisp and clear than on my 6800GT...I started getting really mad that I even bought this 6800GT. I am really starting to think the problem is Nvidia's drivers or the hardware because up until a few weeks ago, that Radeon 9800 Pro was in the rig the 6800GT is in now. Same Ram, same CPU, same everything except the video card and all this has started just since getting that new BFG 6800GT.

EDIT: Test results on brand new, clean, bare minimum Windows install.

First run stuttered like mad. Set AGP 4x, disabled fastwrites.
Second run stuttered like mad. Disable IDE BLock mode and Prefetch.
Third run stuttered even worse. Set Gate A20 from Fast to Normal and PCI Clock Auto Detect to Off.
Fourth run st.st...still stuttered. S.s.s..s.set DRAM Voltage from 2.6 to 2.7.
Fifth run *sigh* stuttered. Removed Nvidia card, and replaced with Radeon 9800 Pro.
sixth run Fixed. The Radeon ran smooth as butter. I couldn't get it to stutter even when I tried.

So, I conclude either Nvidia has a serious driver problem because my old faithfull GF4 Ti4400 stuttered too, or all Nvidia cards are just junk. Damnit! I wish I had went for the X800 Pro. Damnit! Damnit!

john19055
10-22-04, 01:04 AM
Since the 6800GT has a temperture monitor and the 9800pro does'nt it is possible that the monitor of the 6800gt could cause slight pauses when updateing although I have not noticed it with my 6800ultra.

zakelwe
10-22-04, 01:16 AM
I've also got very bad stuttering on my 6800nu with Far Cry on a P4 Asus PC4800 875 motherboard. I have tried everything in the various threads and still no joy. At some point I am going to reisntall from scratch again. When I get time :)

Regards

Andy

StoNer
10-22-04, 01:33 AM
i was playin freelancer on my 6800GT on the 66.81 drivers b4 i had to RMA it.

so its probably just that dud card u ended up getting. :(

Elvin Presler
10-22-04, 01:39 AM
I'm thinking it's all the latest sets of Nvidia drivers. I tested my Ti 4400 and it also stuttered exactly the same. Only my Radeon 9800 Pro does not stutter.

Arjan20
10-22-04, 01:49 AM
I've noticed the same. The stuttering that was occuring with my GT went away when I swapped it for a 9800 Pro. After thousands of reinstalls I decided to try a GF4 Ti4200 and a GF FX5700. Both cards did ran very good and without stuttering in the past. And guess what, both are having the same stuttering issues like the 6800GT. So it must be a driver issue. Anyway, I've returned my GT last week and took a x800 XT back. I really liked the 6800GT, it had alot of potential. But I had nothing but problems with that card, from the day that I bought it. So I was wondering, why wait for these problems to be solved when owning that card since the 7th of July?! I thought that I'd waited long enough.

mikea423
10-22-04, 01:59 AM
I have had the same problem with Freelancer. I have had that problem on every computer (4 of them) I have tried Freelancer on, from a 900mhz amd thunderbird with a geforce 2 mx to a p4 with a ti4200 to a p4 with a 5900. If you finally figure it out I would like to know, I spent who knows how many hours trying to troubleshoot that. You may be right that it is a driver problem, they were all NVidia cards, but I have been having that problem since Freelancer came out till now and have updated my NVidia drivers pretty regularly.

Elvin Presler
10-22-04, 02:27 AM
If you finally figure it out I would like to know...

Unfortunately, and angrily, all I can say is...ATI. We'll see when I get my RMA card if it still does it, but I strongly suspect it will.

john19055
10-22-04, 03:50 AM
What is stuttering beside freelancer,I don't have that, because I don't see no stuttering unless I don't know what to look for.

Elvin Presler
10-22-04, 03:53 AM
Watch my video (link in first post). You can see the motion of everything on screen freeze for a second about 5 or 6 times. In the beginning I fire a missle, as soon as it hits and the green letters turn red (list at lower left) it does it, then a few more times right after. You can actually see all the lazers flying around stop dead, then continue. It looks jerky, not smooth.

The easiest way to see it in the video is to focus on the background, not the ships. As it smoothly moves around you can plainly see when it stops (stutters). That game runs at 125 solid frames per second on my PC constantly. It should not be jerking like that.

mezkal
10-22-04, 04:12 AM
Elvin have you used the search function here? There are quite a few recent threads pertaining to this very problem (although none mentioned FL, from memory). If I remember correctly it has something to do with the D3D Blit options you can tweak using RivaTuner. I'm sorry I'm not more helpful but it's been awhile since the original posts and I don't own a 6800 based card.

Cheers,

Elvin Presler
10-22-04, 04:15 AM
The only one I saw was the one devoted to RivaTuner that did nothing for me.

Already covered this. that thread is about a "fix" that doesn't work for me.

mezkal
10-22-04, 04:17 AM
You experimented with the blitting options and saw no visible difference? You tried ALL of them?