PDA

View Full Version : NV5/Albatron GT..my Review about it

K007
10-22-04, 07:35 AM
Well i got the NV5 today, installed it.

From the installtion POV, i thought the manual was rather lacking a few picture shots.

Removing the fan was also a nusiance (the plug), i had to take the fan screws off first to realise its actually is locked in a funny shape thing, and i had to kinda pull the outer case out a bit to pull the plug out..i pulled the outercase a bit and ended up breaking one side of the locking method..frankly i dont know why it is there, i cauld understand if a cable was through it and it clipped off..but dam that thing did waste quiet abit of my time, since it dosent tell me unscrew anything in the manual first.

Second problem i had was the fact that when everything was put and installing the NV5, i noticed that near the fan (black line it has volt info was actually in the way..well not entirely but was actually pushing on the nv5..i thoughth we had to remove it..dosent mention anything about this, so i took it out to see what the deal was, it was also a heat sink or something (has 3 small tiny chips has pads on the heat sink big O======O, i wasent too keen on leaving it off and turning it on so i put it back)...dosent mention any info in the manual about this either, since every reference card has it there.

Third proble, the SCREWS..i read that people broke there screws saying if u tight it too hard it might break, so with that in mind i decided to go and not tight it too hard, but at the same time thinking about that fan hitting that black heat sink, so after a few tight areas i thought..ok this looks good..plugged it in..idle 70C..gg, knew then there was probably a partial contact..took card out, and it was obvious from looking at the metal heat sink it wasent touching (10% from the bottom has touched), so put it back and tight it really hard, till the rubber said i cant take no more..plugged it in..idle 51C :D. I used AS5 premium for the gpu and thing goey white paste for the memory chips.

Btw when cleaning the gpu from early crap that was left by nvidia..bad job by them lots of air bubbles :O, but cleaning it revealed a nice mirror :O, man that was nice looking haha :D.

So i got onto o/c. Auto oc on 66.81 said 396/1.09. So i said ok w/e pushed it to 400/1100, tested, said its good. I put it on both 3d/2d. From 2d..temp was ilke 58C(This was the same as 350 after having pc on for sometime), i ran that rthdribl_1_2 program, left it for about 20 mins, temp rose to 75, and pretty much stayed at 75 the entire time(before i hit to 81-84), so this is pretty good temp, considering in cs source for 1hr or so only maxed out at 68C and 3dmark03/05 gave 68-69 as well. (used riva tuner backg monitor).

So next i ran some benchies with the new clocks

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~umedha/Benchmark/3dmakr05.JPG
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~umedha/Benchmark/3dmark03.JPG
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~umedha/Benchmark/AquaMark3R.JPG

I am very impressed, the quietness was unbeleavable( not that it was annoying before), i had to double check that it was on by holding my hand near the fan to c if its on..considering i almost pulled the case off the fan clip ^_^.

Only thing i didnt like was the lack of info, and having some kinda indication on how far you screw it, with the rubber it is pretty hard, but that extra tight made a big difference. The info in the manual was completely useless, pictures were just lame. Also the no mentioning about that other heat sink O====O since it does hit the fan, i did pass it through light to see if its memory is in contact, and it wasent, so i just pushed on that side to see if makes a difference and then it did.

Great heat sink. :nanahump: ..lousy information... :bash:. Gonna try this weekend to see how far i can o/c.

I am hoping to get atleast 425 on the gpu core, i dont want to up the voltage, would you all agree that 78C is pretty good temps for max load?

Chippy
10-22-04, 07:53 AM
Well i got the NV5 today, installed it.

From the installtion POV, i thought the manual was rather lacking a few picture shots.

Manual? I didn't get a manual. I had to guess. What sort of manual did you get?

78C is not bad, but its not great.

I hit 73C only after 30 mins of HDDRIBBLE, and lower temps when gaming. And that is with the 1.4v mod, running 440/1100. My case airflow isn't brilliant either. Its OK, but not brilliant.

Chip

K007
10-22-04, 08:37 AM
Ok, i left it for about an hr on now, and the temp is between 75 and 74 with 75 being max temp recorded :)

Btw what are the risks of going 1.4V? The default is 1.3V is it?

From the feeling i get, everyone who has a nv5 the temp isent really the problem anymore, its how far the GT core can actually go...i dont want the card to die before the sli cards get out..i might try it later after i get the SLI upgrade.

Chippy
10-22-04, 08:53 AM
Ok, i left it for about an hr on now, and the temp is between 75 and 74 with 75 being max temp recorded :)

Btw what are the risks of going 1.4V? The default is 1.3V is it?

From the feeling i get, everyone who has a nv5 the temp isent really the problem anymore, its how far the GT core can actually go...i dont want the card to die before the sli cards get out..i might try it later after i get the SLI upgrade.

Manual, what manual? I didn't get a manual. What sort of manual did you get?

With respect to your questions, I wouldn't bother with 1.4v. The only reason to do it is if you aren't getting a good overclock, which doesn't seem to be the case for you. So why bother.

But, just to clarify, don't you have an AGP card? If so, you can forget SLI - that only applied to PCI Express cards obviously. (I have never seen a motherboard with 2 AGP slots ;-)

Chip

K007
10-22-04, 09:23 AM
Erm yeah i have a AGP card...SLI is with nforce4 sli boards. Soon to be computer is

2xUltra SLI
AMDFX53

:D :ORDER: :nanahump:

Right now just trying to make the most without killing it.

61C is the max temp in cs source for me for like 30 mins now...christ this nv5 rocks.

Manual as in instructions, not manual...you know what i mean.

Also i got a later revision of nv5, i have the one where the screws dont break off.

Chippy
10-22-04, 09:47 AM
Manual as in instructions, not manual...you know what i mean.

I didn't get any instructions either. Just a VGA Silencer attached to a piece of cardboard, a backing plate and something else (paste? can't remember). Anyway, no instructions :-(

What form were the instructions in?

Chip

K007
10-22-04, 09:48 AM
I just did 420, no problem, no C increase either, tested 440 in the o/c..it accpeted, but didnt try it. ie for games/3dmark...i am pretty sure the outcome will be ****ed up.

No backplate for me, just a rubber stopper for each screw hole and a screw to tighten it..infact out of the entire lot i only had 4 screws..compared to what the nvidia reference fan had on its own lol :retard:

Ill see if i can get a picture of the instructions..its pretty lame anyway :lame:

tobywong
10-22-04, 10:12 AM
The "instructions" were rolled up like a poster inside the cardboard platform/stand that the NV5 was resting on inside the plastic. You probably threw it out without even noticing it. Don't worry, you didn't miss much. ;)

BTW crank up that CPU K007!

TeaEtchSee
10-22-04, 10:19 AM
The instructions were on a ATI card :)

but the installation was pretty much self explanitory

Chippy
10-22-04, 11:41 AM
The "instructions" were rolled up like a poster inside the cardboard platform/stand that the NV5 was resting on inside the plastic. You probably threw it out without even noticing it. Don't worry, you didn't miss much. ;)

BTW crank up that CPU K007!

Thanks. I think they must have changed the packaging. Mine came screwed to a piece of black card. But its not foldable or anything - you couldn't put anything *inside* it. Its just a piece of card. I couldn't believe it when I found no instructions at all, but I just accepted it. I guess now I realise the instructions were missing.

Still, like you say, I didn't miss much. I wasn't exactly difficult to figure how to put it all together.

Chip

K007
10-22-04, 11:43 AM
Indeed...just reading the instructions made things freaking confusing.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/images/product/it/vga/picture/big/6800gt.jpg

See that other heat sink on the far right..what is that for? Because it actually hits the NV5 fan..which is why at first time i got 66 idle, and screwing it harder made the difference...anyone have any ideas?

Btw removing Trinity sticker revealed the nvidia sticker...lol..considering the entire GT package from albatron is very weak, i think i would have saved some money if i went for OEM...

bkswaney
10-22-04, 01:23 PM
I didn't get any instructions either. Just a VGA Silencer attached to a piece of cardboard, a backing plate and something else (paste? can't remember). Anyway, no instructions :-(

What form were the instructions in?

Chip

I had one with mine.
It's in the bottom of the pack.
If u did not take the box all the way
apart you would have never seen it. ;)

It's just folded paper. Not a book or anything.
I still have mine. :)

K007
10-23-04, 12:05 AM
Yeah, i cut open the box fully open and opened it and the manual was at the bottom...i think people are better off without reading that manual, it was a complete waste of time, lacked info...and i still am not sure what that other heat sink is on the right side of the card which hits the nv5 fan.

percman24601
10-23-04, 12:16 AM
Most people who would even think of changing the cooling on their card wouldn't need a manual.

bkswaney
10-23-04, 12:49 AM
Most people who would even think of changing the cooling on their card wouldn't need a manual.

I agree. :)
I looked at it after I installed it. ;)

K007
10-23-04, 01:21 AM
I looked at it since it was the first time i was taking a gpu apart..looking at it made things very confusing and ended up going with just what i knew about normal cpu's lol.

One thing i found good was the fact that you dont use a liquid to clean the thermal paste from the gpu.

Chippy
10-23-04, 05:01 AM

And there speaks the man who *clearly* never fitted the original VGA Silencer to anything. With the metal clip inside the plastic container that could be fitted either way around, but had to be fitted one way only, or you broke your card, like many people actually did.

A smart remark, but not a very helpful nor accurate one.

Chip

K007
10-23-04, 07:27 AM
What about installing the SP97 from thermalright for XP systems? Dam that heat sink was a biatch to install.

alenze
10-23-04, 08:00 AM
and i still am not sure what that other heat sink is on the right side of the cardIt provides cooling for the (GPU core) voltage regulators.

K007
10-23-04, 08:43 AM
Dont they kinda actually get in the way of the NV5? You have to really screw hard because i kept the heat sink without any paste to see if it does get in the way, there is a gap on that side, but it goes away if u screw hard..they cauld have had a warning/info about that in the manual.