PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT volts?

geforcebOY
10-22-04, 10:46 AM
(newb) hi guys .I want to overclock my 6800 GT some more and i have heard you can flash to ultra and get more volts though its there for increased clocks but is there anyother way of getting more volts though it .
Cheers

mustrum
10-22-04, 11:08 AM
(newb) hi guys .I want to overclock my 6800 GT some more and i have heard you can flash to ultra and get more volts though its there for increased clocks but is there anyother way of getting more volts though it .
Cheers
Use the search function please. This is explained in many many threads.
Welcome to the forum btw. :D

(You can edit the original GT bios to 1.4 volts with an editor. Do NOT flash an Ultra bios)

Subtestube
10-22-04, 04:31 PM
Be warned though, voltmodding is not trivial. It:
a) Completely voids your warranty. It's also detectable unless you go back to your original BIOS before returning a damaged card, as it IS in firmware.
b) Can fry your card. I've seen more than one instance of this happening around and about, and whether it does or not seems to more relate to luck than anything else. If you're going to voltmod your card MUST run pretty cool to make it at all safe.

anzak
10-22-04, 04:43 PM
Be warned though, voltmodding is not trivial. It:
a) Completely voids your warranty. It's also detectable unless you go back to your original BIOS before returning a damaged card, as it IS in firmware.
b) Can fry your card. I've seen more than one instance of this happening around and about, and whether it does or not seems to more relate to luck than anything else. If you're going to voltmod your card MUST run pretty cool to make it at all safe.

Right. Im a good example. I purchased a BFG 6800GT because of the lifetime warranty and what did I do? Kill it with a volt mod and void my (lifetime) warranty. Right now im SOL with Half Life 2 only 24 days away. Don't be a dumb ass like me and ruin a $400 graphics card for a few Mhz!

saturnotaku
10-22-04, 09:51 PM
Newbs need not apply to do any sort of volt modding. Overclock using Coolbits. It's all anyone should ever need.

K007
10-22-04, 11:04 PM
Well i dont wanna voltmod if i weere you to get that extra few mhz, its too much of a risk considering the card will die...and it dosent matter if you void your warranty lol, i mean just o/c without volt mod is anyway breaking that warranty.

I used rivatuner to enable o/c, then exit riva, went to nvidia panel and did my o/c there, i rather do that than have the card fried.

Subtestube
10-22-04, 11:30 PM
1. Voltmodding won't necessarily fry the card - there's just a significant chance it might.
2. Overclocking without voltmodding is no guarantee of not damaging the card.
3. My note regarding the voiding of the warranty was for the slightly less moral people who will return an OCed card if they destroy it. If you voltmod, it's MUCH easier to detect from a manufacturer/store standpoint.