PDA

View Full Version : Argh...I've tried EVERYTHING!

circuitbreaker8
10-22-04, 08:05 PM
This is REALLY bugging me. I have a BFG 6800 GT "OC" 256MB that comes pre-OCed to 370/1000. Its the blue PCB version with the dual fan copper cooler. I know it isnt the greatest, but my old P4 system used to be stable @ 420/1130. I recently bought this A64 system ( 3400 CG 1MB / DFI lanparty / 1GB ocz plat r2 3200 ) Popped my GT in the new rig and everything runs fine. I'm using the 66.72 drivers, which seem to be doing great. I downloaded rivatuner so I can overclock my card to ULTRA speeds ( 400/1100 ), but when I do, CS:S crashes in less than 5 seconds. 3dmark03 runs fine, i dont use it as much as CSS. I dont really have anythign else that will stress teh card, but my system used to be stable @ 420/1130, now I cant even do 400/1100 stable! :lame: So..right now, i'm at 370/1000 until I can figure out what the deal is. CS:S runs 100% stable at these settings. I'm guessing its something in this new A64 bios that is really killing my videocard OC. So far i've tried...

*setting AGP freq. to 67
*Disabling Fast Write ( helps in 3dmark03...used to crash with it on )
*Setting Aperature to 128MB
*Setting fixed 8x AGP rate

I dont know what else to do.....I really miss having a 400$ 6800 ultra! Someone help! :)

Elvin Presler
10-22-04, 08:18 PM
Stop over clocking! You gain like 2 frames per second and kill your card. Then you'll want to RMA it, driving up the cost of new cards, and causing people like me with a real defective card (not self broken) to get your crappy O/Ced reject sent to us as a "refurbished" RMA replacement. My BFG 6800GT won't even run at stock 370/1000 speeds. It gets artifacts/texture corruption unless I underclock it to 350-355.

Man I hate this over clocking craze! There is a reason they don't clock them that high stock you know...it's because they can't handle it!

PikachuMan
10-22-04, 08:23 PM
It could be the A64 system is pumping more heat, thus limiting your overclock. Get better cooling>?

circuitbreaker8
10-22-04, 08:49 PM
Nope, its actually running cooler than my P4 system lol, and the ambient temp is a lot cooler than before :retard:

bkswaney
10-22-04, 09:52 PM
I've always found my intel rigs more stable
and able to overclock stuff more.

Reliant
10-22-04, 10:12 PM
Probably need a better power supply.

JRd1st
10-22-04, 10:14 PM
It could be that the A64 is pumping more DATA into the card. You could have been bottlenecked on your old rig so your card may have been oc'd more but it wasn't doing as much work because the data wasn't coming to it as fast as it is now.

What kind of FPS are you getting at the lower clocks compared to your old system with the higher clocks?

circuitbreaker8
10-22-04, 10:32 PM
I've always found my intel rigs more stable
and able to overclock stuff more.

Uh, this rig is 10x more stable than my intel rig when OCed. They might be able to OC stuff more b/c they are such a bottleneck :nanahump:

bkswaney
10-23-04, 12:51 AM
Uh, this rig is 10x more stable than my intel rig when OCed. They might be able to OC stuff more b/c they are such a bottleneck :nanahump:

(whine) (bs2) :inform: :fanboy:

If this is the case you sure do not know
how to build a rig.
Sounds more like a fanboy reply.

Skrot
10-23-04, 01:07 AM
Well... seeing as you've tried *everything*, you might as well stop asking about it. Bad luck.

circuitbreaker8
10-23-04, 11:50 AM
(whine) (bs2) :inform: :fanboy:

If this is the case you sure do not know
how to build a rig.
Sounds more like a fanboy reply.

How am I a fanboy? I had a P4 rig before this :bash: Anyone that goes from P4 to A64 is gonna say the same thing to. :)

Eltigre88
10-23-04, 07:38 PM
Amd Pos

circuitbreaker8
10-23-04, 08:05 PM
Wow, i've never seen so many pointless posts in a thread before.

RacerX27
10-23-04, 08:15 PM
Most likey problems is the power supply. Antecs have a weak 12a line compared to the new supplies.

The A64 rigs use alot of 12v amps. Esp when overclocking. I've had many antecs.

aAv7
10-23-04, 08:18 PM
Wow, i've never seen so many pointless posts in a thread before.

Yea..it's starting to get annoying...I remember back when a guy could ask a question around here and actually get help and or decent advice....now things turn into a flame fest on the creator of the post or an argument about which system or video card is better. :rolleyes:

Could be several reasons.

1.) Motherboards are all different , naturally. So one board might be able to push a card, memory, the cpu, etc farther than the other. It might just not have stability the previous motherboard/agp slot had.

2.) Now that your running an AMD64 system your using more juice from the psu. Your psu may just barely be able to keep up with everything @ clock....so when you push anything a bit more...your system is gonna have a hard time handling it. If you plan on ocing, I say you need at least a 500 watt quality psu.

3.) Did you just buy parts or did you buy a whole new computer? If you bought a whole new system, the case could be keeping the system warmer than your previous system. If you bought a new system (too lazy to go back and read your post to see if u mentioned it or not) add some fans. Lots of em. The more the better. Just make sure you plan out spots for them so you don't buy too many and have nowhere to fit em. I've got 4 80mm fans in my system and their doing great job keeping things cool.

Hope this helped....can't be any worse than most of the posts i've read in this thread =)

shadowblood
10-23-04, 08:30 PM
Probably need a better power supply.

My thoughts exactly Im running an Athlon 64 FX-53 rig with same exact card i was having trouble with the card causing system to be unstable so i replaced my Thermaltake 480 watt PSU because of the weak +12v rail only 18 amps with an OCZ Powerstream 520 +12v rail 33 amps also has adjustable voltage on all rails since switching to new power supply everything has been much more stable

bkswaney
10-23-04, 10:06 PM
My thoughts exactly Im running an Athlon 64 FX-53 rig with same exact card i was having trouble with the card causing system to be unstable so i replaced my Thermaltake 480 watt PSU because of the weak +12v rail only 18 amps with an OCZ Powerstream 520 +12v rail 33 amps also has adjustable voltage on all rails since switching to new power supply everything has been much more stable

18 is not weak.
Look at some others PSU's ratings.

circuitbreaker8
10-23-04, 10:53 PM
Yea..it's starting to get annoying...I remember back when a guy could ask a question around here and actually get help and or decent advice....now things turn into a flame fest on the creator of the post or an argument about which system or video card is better. :rolleyes:

Could be several reasons.

1.) Motherboards are all different , naturally. So one board might be able to push a card, memory, the cpu, etc farther than the other. It might just not have stability the previous motherboard/agp slot had.

2.) Now that your running an AMD64 system your using more juice from the psu. Your psu may just barely be able to keep up with everything @ clock....so when you push anything a bit more...your system is gonna have a hard time handling it. If you plan on ocing, I say you need at least a 500 watt quality psu.

3.) Did you just buy parts or did you buy a whole new computer? If you bought a whole new system, the case could be keeping the system warmer than your previous system. If you bought a new system (too lazy to go back and read your post to see if u mentioned it or not) add some fans. Lots of em. The more the better. Just make sure you plan out spots for them so you don't buy too many and have nowhere to fit em. I've got 4 80mm fans in my system and their doing great job keeping things cool.

Hope this helped....can't be any worse than most of the posts i've read in this thread =)

I just bought the cpu/mb/ram :ORDER: Looks like i'm gonna have to purchase a new PSU. How is the Antec True 550? I thought the A64 and P4 were pretty much teh same in terms of voltage consumption?

RacerX27
10-23-04, 11:10 PM
Get one of the OCZ power streams.

I just replace my TC550 with a OCZ PS520, very nice supply. It has 2 plugs for VGA/hdd, that have extra filtering and shielding, GREAT for 6800U's.

The TC550 would only let me OC my 6800U to 430's/1200. With the PS I can get 460/1200 easy.

The OCZ is a nice unit. Its just about the same price too. Just a few $$ more.

RacerX27
10-23-04, 11:12 PM
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=208_612&products_id=3926

Great place to buy from. Really nice folks, and they don't charge me tax like Newegg does. :bash:

El_Sid
10-24-04, 03:57 AM
I just bought the cpu/mb/ram :ORDER: Looks like i'm gonna have to purchase a new PSU. How is the Antec True 550? I thought the A64 and P4 were pretty much teh same in terms of voltage consumption?

Antec T550 is enougth for your PC . The 430 is too.
Try to use a power conector extension only for VGA. Don't use the others conectors in the same extension for HDDs or Opticals...
If i connect an HDD or the PCU22VG at GT's same way It doesn't work...

circuitbreaker8
10-24-04, 12:21 PM
Antec T550 is enougth for your PC . The 430 is too.
Try to use a power conector extension only for VGA. Don't use the others conectors in the same extension for HDDs or Opticals...
If i connect an HDD or the PCU22VG at GT's same way It doesn't work...

See, I dont even have my PSU topped out yet. Here is what each line is hooked up to...

1. Memorex 52x24x52 burner / Pioneer DVD
2. Western Digital 80GB 7,200 / Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7,200
3. BFG 6800 GT 256MB "OC"
4. Fans/Aerogate II

Think thats about it.