PDA

View Full Version : 6800u PCI-E High speed Interconnect ?

Pages : [1] 2

Sgt_Pitt
10-22-04, 09:43 PM
whats the deal with all this pci-e hooha ?

on my 6800u agp box it says supports PCI express hi speed interconnect (HSI) technology for the bidirectional interconnect protocol conversion.

it also says designed for pci express 16x.

is there a bridge converter out ?

is my 6800u box full of crappola ?

CaptNKILL
10-22-04, 10:05 PM
Thats really wierd... the AGP and PCI-E cards should have nothing to do with eachother. Maybe they made the box sort of "generic" so they wouldnt have to make another one when the PCI-E version came out.

Thats really wierd. I'll check my BFG 6800GT OC box... I dont remember seeing anything like that on mine.

EDIT: Just checked. There isnt any mention of PCI-E on my box at all.

Sgt_Pitt
10-22-04, 10:50 PM
there was talk on this forum a few months back about some sort of connector for agp cards to run on pci-e.

i doubt its a generic box since i bought my card 7 months ago, pci-e cards werent really even mentioned back then.

Sgt_Pitt
10-24-04, 02:59 AM
cmon people surely there must be some idea of these connectors ?

StoNer
10-24-04, 03:04 AM
U can find the connectors at Walmart, right next to the pci <-> agp adaptors.

jk rofl :retard:

CaptNKILL
10-24-04, 03:57 AM
Can you take a picture of the box so we can see it?

mezkal
10-24-04, 05:00 AM
whats the deal with all this pci-e hooha ?

on my 6800u agp box it says supports PCI express hi speed interconnect (HSI) technology for the bidirectional interconnect protocol conversion.

it also says designed for pci express 16x.

is there a bridge converter out ?

is my 6800u box full of crappola ?

OK what the box is saying is basically the following:-

"Congratulations on purchasing this (insert praiseworthy adjective here) 6800 based video card. Because we have marketing people who don't understand technology (and this also covers you our customer) we're going to use MARKETING JARGON to make this card seem like it's really good value for money. One way we're going to do this is to mention the standard 6800 features but spice em up a little too. Like this:-

*FACT* THE GEFORCE 6800 CAN BE IMPLEMENTED IN PCI-e VIA THE USE A HIGH SPEED INTERFACE BRIDGE CHIP.

Our wonderful marketing department translate that statement as so:-

"supports PCI express hi speed interconnect (HSI) technology for the bidirectional interconnect protocol conversion"

See? Now your card seems MUCH MORE VALUABLE. Furthermore you'll have HOURS of joy harassing your local PC store owner for the legendary (cue dramatic music - heavens split and light streams through the clouds)....

"bridge converter" !!!! (that only exists on PCI-e versions of this chipset)

OK so let's skip the marketing guff. The HSI bridge connector blurb on that the box just tells you that the 6800 chipset requires it to be connected via PCI-e.

That's it. That's all.

When the 6800 was launched there were a couple of similar threads here. They all came to the same conclusion.

Cheers,

Sgt_Pitt
10-24-04, 07:53 AM
So what your saying is, that it is blatant false advertising ? and i should be persuing this to upgrade my card to a pci-e version ?

mezkal
10-24-04, 08:30 AM
No. Not at all. I'm saying it's just advertising a supported feature of the 6800 chipset, in that it supports an PCI-e implementation via the HSI bridge chip. This is common knowledge, technically speaking, yet it is translated into marketing guff. You don't have a PCI-e capable motherboard, your board supports AGP 8X, therefore you have purchased the appropriate graphics card for your confiiguration. ie You got what you paid for in full.

If you intend to purchase a PCI-e motherboard then you may well be able to trade in your card for the PCI-e version. That would entail buying a new motherboard though. One that supports PCI-e.

In other words, you are worrying about nothing. Enjoy your card and never mind the marketing guff.

Sgt_Pitt
10-24-04, 08:50 AM
no it is blatant false advertising, it says on my box that the card supports pci-e 16x , which it obviously doesnt, i could have bought that card with the future in mind, beleiving it to be compatible with pci-e. im not saying i did, but someone who new less might have.

mezkal
10-24-04, 08:54 AM
You are a moron. I wish you well on your endeavour.

bkswaney
10-24-04, 09:11 AM

:clap2: (dot)

einstein_314
10-24-04, 02:29 PM

What kind of a comment is that?!?!?
:lame: :confused: :clap2: (dot)

mezkal
10-24-04, 03:12 PM
What kind of a comment is that?!?!?
:lame: :confused: :clap2: (dot)

The kind of comment that was reasonable, considering the circumstances. Read the thread. I was the only person who responded with anything useful to Sgt_Pitt. I explained and then re-explained just exactly what the HSI Bridge chip was and how it was advertised as a feature of the chipset, not something he paid for and didn't get. The OP then tried to get me to be his voicebox so he could go back to his poor retailer and hassle him for something that doesn't exist. If I explain this and then re-explain and he STILL doesn't want to believe me and even moreso doesn't appreciate the effort (little as it was) that I put into replying and explaining to him then, yes, I feel entirely within my rights to call him a moron.

Sgt_Pitt
10-24-04, 04:47 PM
Mind your tongue young man.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pittinc1/asshat.gif

I still say its false advertising.

msxyz
10-24-04, 05:11 PM
Indeed, it sounds very misleading.

A board is either AGP or PCIe. And this should be obvious to anyone with some insight on the matter. What they did was simply to copy the chips specs from an NVidia white paper to lure customers with the usual run of bell and whistles.

It's really the edge of false advertising. Good luck proving it, though.

Templar
10-24-04, 05:15 PM
probably just engrish, www.engrish.com

simon

mezkal
10-24-04, 11:12 PM
Mind your tongue young man.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pittinc1/asshat.gif

I still say its false advertising.

And I STILL say you're a moron. If you can't read what's plainly infront of your face:-

(taken directlty from the back of box - which you rudely called asshat - rather lame stab at me mate, seeing as your the idiot who can't understand marketing guff)

"supports PCI Express high speed interconnect (HSI) technology for bidirectional interconnect protocol conversion"

This (being HSI support for PCI-e) is a FIXED feature of the 6800 chipset. ALL 6800 chipset ARE CAPABLE OF BEING IMPLEMENTED IN PCI-e VIA THE USE OF THE HSI BRIDGE CHIP. Common knowledge mate. Nothing for an IDIOT like you to get you knickers in twist (which is all you are doing - I pity your poor retailer - you're probably one of those guys who say that the salesman "sold you" something. Um no. YOU BOUGHT IT!)

For the last and final time. Sheesh.

Your motherboard DOES NOT SUPPORT PCI-e 16X (PCI Express), it supports AGP 8X. This is how your motherboard was designed. It's an either/or situation. Do you understand yet? You can't have AGP and PCI-e. It's one or the other YOUR BOARD IS AGP ONLY.

You have the appropriate card for your machine. You purchased correctly the first time. You were not ripped off. The HSI Bridge is not available separately. You were not ripped off.

Do you understand yet?

YOU. WERE. NOT. RIPPED. OFF.

Now if you wish to take my posts as EVIDENCE to the fact that you HAVE NOT BEEN RIPPED OFF, feel free. However should you still wish to persue your foolhardy beef with your retailer, go right ahead. Just leave me out of it.

You are just plain wrong. You were not ripped off. Time to go spend some hours actually enjoying the card, rather than bitching about nothing online.

Don't you think?

Sgt_Pitt
10-24-04, 11:58 PM
omg you really are a forum troll, i know i bought the right card. and yes i know i need a pci-e m/b. you have added nothing to this conversation but bile. thank you please come again.

You really have no idea what your talking about do you ? you dont even have a 6800.

Once again the card in the box does not support 16x as is stated.

Really you need to just step out this thread, your prescence is not required nor wanted here.

I pity your poor retailer - you're probably one of those guys who say that the salesman "sold you" something. Um no. YOU BOUGHT IT!)
umm you have no idea who i am, and your presumtions give me a good idea of who you are. the salesman hadn't even heard of a 6800u 7 months ago, i had to order it in.

Your motherboard DOES NOT SUPPORT PCI-e 16X (PCI Express)
how the hell do you know what my m/b supports ? or how many m/b i have ?

Do you understand yet?
YOU. WERE. NOT. RIPPED. OFF.
i never said i was ripped off although you seem to be saying it many times.

Just leave me out of it.
im sorry random, you never had anything to do with it in the first place

rather than bitching about nothing online.
I think you've just summed up your own activities perfectly dont you ?

Go back to rage 3d asshat.

mezkal
10-25-04, 12:05 AM
I've never ventured into Rage3D. I think you are rude and thankless. You know nothing about your hardware. I'm in Australia. Give it too me.

With you it's being wasted.

PS : I'd like to point out that I sought some legal advice on this matter. Suffice to say that once I explained what the HSI Bridge Chip is and how it applies my laywer laughed. Take that as you will.

Sgt_Pitt
10-25-04, 12:15 AM
PS : I'd like to point out that I sought some legal advice on this matter. Suffice to say that once I explained what the HSI Bridge Chip is and how it applies my laywer laughed. Take that as you will.

lmao

You know nothing about your hardware. I'm in Australia. Give it too me.

Duuuuhh ok then here ya go, ill just give my 6800u to someone whos trying terribly to flame me. I know enough not to expect someone ive just been flaming to hand over there $1000 dollar video card, which is more than i say for you.

Your giving us aussies a bad name. Quit your incessant ramblings .

mezkal
10-25-04, 12:27 AM
So let me get this straight. You purchased a fully functioning Geforce 6800 GT. You then, after getting it all home, read the back of the box. Now considering your actions I can see only two possibilities :-

1. You are ill informed and thus panicked thinking you has missed out on something. Totally understandable.

2. You are an asshole who relishes wasting people's time. You are the kind of person who buy's something from MYERS/GRACE BROS. (Sears/WALMART/Boots for the rest of ya) and takes it back the next week, after using it. In order to acheive nothing.

Now personally I originally saw you as 1 but you've since shown your true colours as 2.

Just what do you think you're achieving here? Even IF you were right (which you're not as has been amply proven to you), what would you do? Would you go out and get a PCI-e capable motherboard? If so do you think you would seen perceptable or measurable performance difference?

Mate.

Stop pulling yourself too hard. You don't even known what all this PCI-express 'hooha' is. Just accept that you did the right thing as did your retailer and that you got the correct card for you machine. THEN SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO AWAY AND PLAY WITH IT.

mezkal
10-25-04, 12:43 AM
lmao

Duuuuhh ok then here ya go, ill just give my 6800u to someone whos trying terribly to flame me. I know enough not to expect someone ive just been flaming to hand over there $1000 dollar video card, which is more than i say for you.

Your giving us aussies a bad name.

OMFG mate, it was A JOKE. What kind of person reads a some text in forum and then believes it? Frankly, I've had enough of you.

In correct grammar :-

Infact it is YOU who are giving us Aussies a bad name.

Subtestube
10-25-04, 12:58 AM
In correct grammar :-

Infact it is YOU who are giving us Aussies a bad name.

Hehe... sorry, this is being a little nasty but I can't resist when someone says something about grammar and then gets it wrong ;). "In fact" is two words. It has never been one.

I really have nothing else to say here, so I'll shut up now.

mezkal
10-25-04, 01:03 AM
Depends on your localisation Sub, in terms of colloquial mass acceptance, most people misuse conjoined words like any how, in fact, et al.

I know my grammar. (I used to be a journalist with the Melbourne Age here in Australia)

But thanks :)