PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I just played Halo for the first time...

Pages : [1] 2

Nocturnaloner
10-23-04, 12:54 PM
Long story short, I've been out of gaming for a while, but I just built a new gaming rig (P4 3.2, 6800gt), and I'm catching up on some things. Played Far Cry all the way through, it came with my eVGA card, loved it. Single player FPS are what really float my boat, and yes, it took this long for me to actually play Halo in any form. I downloaded the demo... and I was less than impressed. The combat seems somewhat tedious to me, distribution of ammo is extremely stingy for what it takes to kill those big armored guys, and the sound effects in no way convey any sense of power or danger. More than once I was killed by a grenade that I could barely hear. Also, the enemies, aside from the grunts, lack any personality. The squad AI seems really bad, or at least scripted to the point where all they will do is ride the buggy and shoot its guns. Why the heck can't they follow me up a hill?? I'm talking about the Silent Cartographer map, because that's all I've seen. Will all of Halo seem like this to me, or are there much better missions waiting in the full version?

Ninjaman09
10-23-04, 12:58 PM
For one thing, each enemy type you fight requires a certain strategy to kill. The big armored guys (Hunters) have a weak spot on their back where their skin is exposed, you're supposed to go for that when fighting them. Friendly troops aren't always supposed to follow you, either. I'd play the whole game and understand how the combat works, because it's a lot more tactical and different from most FPSes.

nVidi0t
10-23-04, 01:20 PM
Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels. It was a great game on Xbox, though I agree it should have stayed there.

Nocturnaloner
10-23-04, 01:38 PM
Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels.

Really? Ouch. Maybe I'll steer clear then. It's strange though, Halo's regarded as a classic of the genre. Guess I should have played it before newer stuff like Far Cry and Call of Duty.

schuey74
10-23-04, 02:00 PM
Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels. It was a great game on Xbox, though I agree it should have stayed there.
Exactly, it should have stayed on the Xbox. This game launched with that console in 2001......and we are on the verge of 2005.

Ninjaman09
10-23-04, 02:22 PM
Really? Ouch. Maybe I'll steer clear then. It's strange though, Halo's regarded as a classic of the genre. Guess I should have played it before newer stuff like Far Cry and Call of Duty.
Eh, you really haven't played the game enough to understand how it is different from Far Cry and Call of Duty. While I'll agree that the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels, if you don't know how to play it, it would really suck. It's about half-way through the game in the full version, by which time you would have had enough experience to know how to approach the level.

The game was a zillion times more fun on the X-Box, though. The PC port is unanimously declared one of the worst ports in history. It's still pretty fun on the PC, but it was a lot more polished on the X-Box. Plus it came out in 2001, you really can't compare it to Far Cry and Call of Duty.

aAv7
10-23-04, 02:23 PM
I was happy they ported it over to PC for a few reasons.

1.) Higher resolution and AF (aa is bork on it darnit)
2.) Multiplayer- Xbox has a rigged version of multiplayer for Halo, but it's laggy as heck. So I was happy to get a full version of MP for the PC version.
3.) Keyboard and mouse

The game is nowhere near as good as it's hyped to be. Even the xbox version-which I played way before the PC version-it's a run of the mill fps. But I thought it was fun for what it was. You have to make sure you play on legendary mode or else the a.i is just really weak and the game isn't much of a challenge.

I mean-compared to a game like Doom 3, Halo is filled with action and much more story. But it's not a "must play" title. It's worth going through if you plan on getting the sequel...that's about it at this point.

***CENSORED***
10-23-04, 10:00 PM
Halo=Most overrated game ever.

That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it isn't the best out there like all the console fanatics say it is.

PikachuMan
10-23-04, 10:21 PM
The game was a zillion times more fun on the X-Box, though. The PC port is unanimously declared one of the worst ports in history.

Not really, there isn't anything wrong with it other than it demands a big graphics card, his 6800GT shouldn't have trouble even at 1600x1200. The sound is extremely well done also.
The Halo "Custom Edition" addition the released really improves the netcode, now easily better than UT2003, at least for my connection. Performance has been sped up considerable as well.

The demo mission they chose was...meh..It doesn't convey the whole cinematic feel the rest of the game has, that's one of the game's biggest selling points.
I have a great time playing Halo on the PC, even though I had the same "gah....this is weak" feeling from the demo.

BlackSun
10-23-04, 10:26 PM
I can't wait for the PC port of Halo 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mezkal
10-23-04, 10:32 PM
2.) Multiplayer- Xbox has a rigged version of multiplayer for Halo, but it's laggy as heck. So I was happy to get a full version of MP for the PC version.

It's obvious that you've never played HALO : XBOX over LAN, XBconnect or DIALUP! I used to play via XBconnect (freeware alternative to XBOXLive) via Dialup (56K) with 4 players, it was smoo-oooth.

Look, I know you've had issue with me but generally I have had none with you. This time I do. You're wrong. Halo PC had possibly the WORST netcode out of ANY game released in the last 5 years. Considering how many crappy PC FPS game there are THAT is saying something.

Gearbox even said thierselves that many XBOX hardcore players might have some issue with the PC version's netcode.

GlowStick
10-23-04, 10:42 PM
I just played the demo, and found that you can drive the 'warthog' though 95% of the demo, so i did, i didnt have any problems killing those big blue things because i would just jump on the warthogs gun and power em down.

At the end of the level that big boss guy with the blade i took out with 2 rockets he didnt even touch me.

After evalutateing it i belive a better title is
Halo: Gameplay Circa Quake II

***CENSORED***
10-23-04, 10:48 PM
Halo is one of the easier games I've played...

JayrodTremonki
10-24-04, 04:29 AM
I agree that it's one of the most overrated, but not bad, games of all time. This isn't from lack of playing it. I've played in almost every environment(except online) and I can say that the game lacks something. The multiplayer is basically Army Men 3-D(without the cool melting soldiers). The single-player isn't a great experience either. It's pretty cut and dry fps material. They blew a lot of chances to make a cool story and there were only a select few areas that had any atmosphere to them.

The parts of the game where I actually had fun had nothing to do with the game. Playing on the multiplayer map with the huge gap between the 2-dimensional sides floating in space, and trying to jump acrossed by blowing yourself up with a grenade. Going to the level where you could steal the flying ship and playing tag with a rocket launcher and your buddy in the ship.

And those things wear out after a few hours =\

BioHazZarD
10-24-04, 05:15 AM
Its good on xbox and it should have stayed there.

saturnotaku
10-24-04, 05:35 AM
Halo is a game where you have to adapt your style of play to any given situation. And often times that can change more than once within the same level. The type of enemy, quantity and your location (indoors, outdoors) will make a big difference in how you accomplish your objectives. A lot of players (myself included at first) don't realize this and it becomes awfully easy for them to criticize. I personally am not going to touch Halo on the PC again because it feels like a cheap console port. Xbox is the ticket to Halo fun.

And I'm going to say this one more time: there will be no PC port of Halo 2.

Riptide
10-24-04, 09:52 AM
I liked the game. It was my first experience with vehicles and I thought it was a blast. The graphics weren't bad, just not cutting edge. I'm glad it made it over to the PC because I had a lot of fun playing it. And after reading the books I appreciated the game that much more. I loved how you could throw plasma grenades, have it stick to the back of an elite, and watch him run around arms flailing trying to grab it until it blew him 30 feet or so through the air.

I agree about the netcode though. When it worked it was alright some of the time, laggy at others. And there are times when it just refuses to connect at all for me which can be very frustrating. I've put the game down since but I had a very enjoyable time with it.

|MaguS|
10-24-04, 10:32 AM
Halo is ok but seriously nothing new... As for changing your play style depending on the enemy? Pfft, not even... I just ran and gun half the time and toss nades to stop them from pushing on you too much. The big guys are easy as heck, all you do is just hold down the fire with the AR and back away... Theres usually more then plenty of ammo laying around from a dead soldier near by...

The only thing I really like about the game is the Coop. It changes the experiance alot because when being chased by an enemy your friend can cover you... and its also fun to pistol whip your friend when hes not looking.

Vehicles are fun for the most part but controls really suck ass on them...

Vash
10-24-04, 10:46 AM
You obviously haven't tried Legendary. You can run and gun it in the other difficulties, but in Legendary it's adapt or die. If you want a challenge, then fire it up again and give that a shot. And even though it makes the game harder than just upping the damage enemies dish out, I really appreciate the fact that the AI actually gets more intelligent the higher the difficulty setting.

As for the Hunters... yes you can empty 2 or 3 AR clips into their faces to do the job, or you can pop them with 1 pistol round in their weak spot (weak spot = small of the back, neck, underneath their shield arm). Your choice.

intercede007
10-24-04, 12:02 PM
Halo is ok but seriously nothing new... As for changing your play style depending on the enemy? Pfft, not even... I just ran and gun half the time and toss nades to stop them from pushing on you too much. The big guys are easy as heck, all you do is just hold down the fire with the AR and back away... Theres usually more then plenty of ammo laying around from a dead soldier near by...

You must be playing on "Easy", because above that, you end up using your grenades very sparingly. And once you meet The Flood, you have to kill for your ammo, because the once dead soldiers that were laying lifelessly with it are now alive and shooting at you.

|MaguS|
10-24-04, 12:29 PM
I never play any game on "Easy", The Flood turned me so off from the game... It became stupid then...Not difficult, just stupid.

mezkal
10-24-04, 12:35 PM
errr OK.

That sounds like rhetoric too me sonny.

The are THE FLOOD. Therefore they are all consuming, like...a....Flood. If you dropped your controller there then what can one say? You obviously know best.

Me? I played the game right through all the way up to Legendary. There are many hidden bonuses (such as cutscenes, dialogue, end of credits animations) that you will never see. But as you say, it was stupid (not difficult).

Yeah. Right.

aAv7
10-24-04, 03:26 PM
It's obvious that you've never played HALO : XBOX over LAN, XBconnect or DIALUP! I used to play via XBconnect (freeware alternative to XBOXLive) via Dialup (56K) with 4 players, it was smoo-oooth.

Look, I know you've had issue with me but generally I have had none with you. This time I do. You're wrong. Halo PC had possibly the WORST netcode out of ANY game released in the last 5 years. Considering how many crappy PC FPS game there are THAT is saying something.

Gearbox even said thierselves that many XBOX hardcore players might have some issue with the PC version's netcode.

I did try it on xboxconnect and it was really laggy-maybe it was the host's fault.

Halo PC online was pretty buggy-you're right, but the CE edition they released seems to have fixed some of those problems, had nothing but smooth game play with CE....just seems it was too little too late.

Worst netcode in the last 5 years has to go to Far Cry....:bleh:

I haven't had issue on your opinions Mezkal, just how you speak to people sometimes. You're free to say what you want to who you want about anything you want, I just get irritated when the flames start, but it isn't really my place to say anything, I'm judging you and I shouldn't-because no one is better than anyone else, were all the same, so please accept my apology.

Sazar
10-24-04, 06:11 PM

thats my take on it as well...

this game, with co-op was PERFECT for the xbox... and even now after all this time it is one of the better games to have come out on the xbox...

can't wait for halo 2 :cool:

saturnotaku
10-24-04, 08:21 PM
Playing co-op over Xbox Live is going to be absolutely amazing. No having to share a TV set will be welcome. :D