PDA

View Full Version : New to Nvidia cards

hectorsm
10-23-04, 02:55 PM
I am new to NVidia cards (previously owned ATI). Bought a BFG 6800 OC card today. Any recommendation on how to get the most out of it.

OC utility, best driver, tweak utility, etc.

thanks.

Hector

keith33
10-23-04, 04:31 PM
Right now the best drivers for 6800 cards at least with my experience is the 65.73 WHQL. That's a start. For overclocking use the Coolbits 2.0 registry hack and match 2D/3D clocks for max performance. If you're one of those n00bs looking for a high 3dmark05 score; use the 66.81 forceware drivers but they have problems with the Valve Source Engine. Other than that, just use your brain, I used to have a 9800xt a few months ago and the nvidia drivers are a breath of fresh air. RivaTuner is so far the best "tweaking" tool. Welcome!

einstein_314
10-23-04, 04:49 PM
I agree with keith. Although I'm using the 66.81 drivers. They seem to work better for me. But if I were you I'd try several different versions and see which works best for your system.

hectorsm
10-23-04, 05:12 PM
I will download the 65.73 since I prefere problem free drivers. I was going to download Coolbit but the link in NVNews is not working. Does anyone know if the site is down or is this a dead link? Any other links

I did downladed RivaTuner a while ago was going to enable the extra 4 pipes but changed my mind after I read the warning mesage. Has anyone's card died after enabling the "hardware mask unit"?

thanks for helping this (newb)

Rytr
10-23-04, 05:28 PM
Coolbits2 can be found here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541&highlight=coolbits2

bkswaney
10-23-04, 06:21 PM
Coolbits 3d works best for me.

Also I do not run my BFG with 2d/3d the same clocks.

I run my 2d at 350core and my 3d at max stable core.
There is no need to run both 2d and 3d the same speed.
All u will be doing is burning up your card for no reason. "just my 2 cents" ;)

MikeC
10-23-04, 06:29 PM
Don't forget about RivaTuner!

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

ChrisRay
10-23-04, 06:30 PM

Not using Rivatuner for tweaking graphic cards is like a sin :)

On an offtopic, Does anyone remember the Geforce tweak utility?

hectorsm
10-23-04, 07:26 PM
Coolbits2 can be found here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541&highlight=coolbits2

thanks! I will download it tonight.

hectorsm
10-23-04, 07:30 PM
Coolbits 3d works best for me.

Also I do not run my BFG with 2d/3d the same clocks.

I run my 2d at 350core and my 3d at max stable core.
There is no need to run both 2d and 3d the same speed.
All u will be doing is burning up your card for no reason. "just my 2 cents" ;)

What is your 3d clock setting? Just for me to have an idea of the overclocking limits of my card.

einstein_314
10-23-04, 09:27 PM
What is your 3d clock setting? Just for me to have an idea of the overclocking limits of my card.

You should just try different settings. When you change the clock speed (using coolbits) in the nvidia settings, you have to test your settings. if they are too high, it will fail, and tell you to lower your clockrate. or, if it's way too high, it'll just freeze and you'll have to reboot. There is a "Detect Optimal Frequencies" button but it is probably wrong. mine tells me my optimal settings are 426/1.2 but I'm running at 445/1.21 with zero artifacting. Just play around with it.

saturnotaku
10-24-04, 05:26 AM
Trial and error is the only way to determine what settings work best for your particular hardware. A setting someone here might suggest could either look bad to you or not have the performance to meet your expectations.

bkswaney
10-24-04, 07:33 AM

I HATE RT. It's does not load right sometimes
and my system hangs on bootup.
It also makes my system a little unstable it seems.
I'll take Coolbits 3D anyday. :)

mezkal
10-24-04, 07:37 AM
As a beta tester for Unwinder's RivaTuner I can safely that it is one THE most stable and consistantly functioning apps I have ever used. I speak with over two decades of computing experience, so that is saying something.

Have you expereinced these issues with recent versions?

bkswaney
10-24-04, 07:54 AM
As a beta tester for Unwinder's RivaTuner I can safely that it is one THE most stable and consistantly functioning apps I have ever used. I speak with over two decades of computing experience, so that is saying something.

Have you expereinced these issues with recent versions?

Yes the newest.
Must be something with my rig
it does not like I suppose.

No big deal tho. I like CB 3D anyway. :)

mezkal
10-24-04, 08:18 AM
vive la difference eh ;)

hectorsm
10-24-04, 01:29 PM
I enabled the extra 4 pixel and 1 Vertix unit using RivaTuner. So far no artifacts. I also got CoolBits installed but I have not overclocked yet but will try later. I still need to dowload and install the 65.71 drivers ( I am using the 61.77).

Everything is looking good. I love the fact that I was able to use the extra pixel and vertex units.

Thanks everyone!!

latinmike
10-25-04, 01:57 AM
I have a pny g800 GT and use drivers 61.76 and they work great, oc at 400, 1.02 w/ coolbits temps load/core 73c/ambient 48c give it a shot