PDA

View Full Version : My stuttering experience

boxster
10-23-04, 05:34 PM
I received a PNY 6800Gt last week that I caught on a one day sale for a great price to replace a Radeon 9800pro. After installing it with the 66.81 drivers and starting my games I noticied alot of stuttering especially in FS2004 and COD.

After pulling out alot of hair I finally discovered my sound card (Fortissmo 7.1) was using a PCI slot that shared an interrupt with the onboard LAN and SATA controller (I use both). I got really sidetracked with alot of other "fixes" like the blitting and playing with Rivatuner settings. BTW on my ASUS P4c800-E the agp port shares an interrupt (irq16) with the USB controller and can't be changed.

I can't explain why this didn't surface with the 9800pro unless it plays better for some reason with shared interrupts. Hint: Usually the first and last PCI slot share the same IRQ and don't share with internal devices, so put your sound card in the last slot (verify in your manual) leave the first one unpopulated and you're set.

I am really happy now and my games all run smoothly enough that I recommend that anyone experiencing the stutters check out what IRQ's their sound cards share and use (or any PCI card). YMMV.

Hope this helps

Boxster

einstein_314
10-23-04, 05:44 PM
I received a PNY 6800Gt last week that I caught on a one day sale for a great price to replace a Radeon 9800pro. After installing it with the 66.81 drivers and starting my games I noticied alot of stuttering especially in FS2004 and COD.

After pulling out alot of hair I finally discovered my sound card (Fortissmo 7.1) was using a PCI slot that shared an interrupt with the onboard LAN and SATA controller (I use both). I got really sidetracked with alot of other "fixes" like the blitting and playing with Rivatuner settings. BTW on my ASUS P4c800-E the agp port shares an interrupt (irq16) with the USB controller and can't be changed.

I can't explain why this didn't surface with the 9800pro unless it plays better for some reason with shared interrupts. Hint: Usually the first and last PCI slot share the same IRQ and don't share with internal devices, so put your sound card in the last slot (verify in your manual) leave the first one unpopulated and you're set.

I am really happy now and my games all run smoothly enough that I recommend that anyone experiencing the stutters check out what IRQ's their sound cards share and use (or any PCI card). YMMV.

Hope this helps

Boxster

Is there a question in there somewhere? or is this just an informational tidbit that you figured we needed to know?

Elvin Presler
10-23-04, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to try it for my stuttering (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39173) as well, though I don't have any IRQ shares, maybe it's some other less obvious resource.

Edit: Still no joy.

boxster
10-23-04, 06:46 PM
Elvin,

I read your post and it appears you tried without a sound card so your situation might be different. I tried all the suggestions in the sticky but none helped me. I also went to Black Viper's site and went thru my services after a SP2 install to verify what to kill. Disabling some processes helped a little as well but none made the difference the sound card did.

I don't like ACPI because you have to reinstall XP to get rid of it so you can manually assign IRQ's on my board. XP can't rebalance itself if you turn it off in your BIOS.

Boxster

Einstein-The purpose of my post was to share my experience with a stuttering Geforce card and how I resolved it to my satisfaction in the hope that it would help someone else. Nothing more and nothing less.