PDA

View Full Version : HDTV-out on 6600GT

quik_2_win
10-23-04, 09:06 PM
I am curious if anyone is using the HDTV dongle (S-video to component?) on the 6600 cards, and if so, how well does it work? Is it actually able to output 1080i over/ through the S-video connector? I have read all of the reviews that I can find, and not one single reviewer has taken the time to explore this feature. I will certainly buy one of these cards if this is working!

MustangSVT
10-23-04, 09:32 PM
I'm using a 6800 GT (I know, not a 6600), but I don't use a S-Video cable. The quality on s-video isn't that good, I'm able to play 1024x768 through it, but it's still not that great. To get HDTV, I used a direct DVI-D cable from my card to my TV's input on the back labelled DVI-HDTV. The new 66.81 drivers auto-detect the TV as HDTV compliant, and I was able to set 480p/720p/1080i and then choose native/underscan/overscan. The only problem was I couldn't actually use it for anything. With the one resolution I used to finally manage complete field of view without overscan wasn't detected in any game. Until I figure out how to make every game default to that one resolution (like 1750 by 980 instead of 1920x1080), I'm stuck.

einstein_314
10-23-04, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure there isn't a "s-video to component dongle". You have to use the DVI ports with your tv that has to have a DVI port. s-video will not do HDTV.

quik_2_win
10-24-04, 01:31 AM
Indeed- DVI straight to the HDTV would be "somewhat" ideal, however my set only supports 1080i/ 480p through component. I did say "somewhat" because I'm well aware of the dual-display limitations and the lack of applications (primarily games) supporting HDTV resolutions- already been down that road.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a "s-video to component dongle". You have to use the DVI ports with your tv that has to have a DVI port. s-video will not do HDTV.
That's what I thought also, but look at the 6600 cards- most clearly state "HDTV support" and include some sort of adapter that connects to the S-video (TV-out) jack. On the other end of this cable are 3 female RCA connectors for component output. I'm really hoping that someone with one of these cards can confirm that somehow the board can output HDTV 1080i through the S-video/ component dongle. Perhaps there a controller incorporated on the card that physically switches the scan rate/ sync/ etc?
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-122-201-04.JPG
There is the "Dongle" as you can clearly see- it adapts an S-video jack to 3-RCA component. This conversion would be useless if it can't carry a high-def signal. I mean, an S-video TV-out has historically been only 480i- why would anyone want a 480i signal connected through component video?

mezkal
10-24-04, 02:08 AM
re : HDTV Compatible games.

http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25

Thought you may not have read this yet.

Cheers,

MustangSVT
10-24-04, 02:11 AM
You can get 1024x768 through S-Video. I do on my 36" crt tube tv and it looks decent, good with 4xaa. For the hdtv, I used my tv directly, without any other displays. I just hooked up the tv through dvi, and nothing else, and set it up directly like that.

quik_2_win
10-24-04, 02:21 AM
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/9413/svideotocomponent6600.th.jpg (http://img57.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img57&image=svideotocomponent6600.jpg)

Here is a connection diagram using the adapter- this looks exactly like what I want...
You can clearly see the YPbPr being outputted via the TV-out (S-video) connection on the card.

55illinois
10-24-04, 04:13 AM
There's probably just more pins on the s-video jack than are necessary for s-video. The rest of the pins carry stuff like component video, you just need a dongle to actually hook them up the way you normally would.

Shplad
06-27-05, 03:26 PM
Ok, this thread is very old, but in case anyone is still interested.

I just bought a BFG 6600GT OC AGP 128MB. It's a very nice card. (I chose
BFG for their lifetime warranty and 24x7 ENGLISH tech support.) No, I am not
in any way affiliiated with BFG, I just like to give good experiences a mention.

When I went to connect an S-Video cable directly to the card, wasn't I
surprised that the card didn't actually have an S-Video connector right on it.
The connector for the dongle looks to me to be proprietary, or at least
sllightly different than S-Video. Anyway, that meant that I had to use their
dongle to connect to an S-Video TV input.

The card has 2 DVI ports, and the dongle port. Note that it does NOT have a
VGA part right on the card, but BFG supplies 2 DVI->VGA converters. These
work quite well for me, as far as I have tested (which is up to 1280x1024 so
far).

Hope this helps someone.

shplad