PDA

View Full Version : My Email from John Carmack

Pages : [1] 2

Intel17
10-23-04, 08:26 PM
I didn't think it was real for a few moments, as I stared in utter awe at my inbox, but there, sitting, was an email, from John Carmack, Technical Director and co-founder of id-software.

Here's what his reply to my email was....

"I have never said that I am planning on retiring, just that I felt it might get less interesting in a couple years. I could be wrong about that.

Right now, I am having the best time programming that I have had in years.

John Carmack"

So it looks like he wasn't really planning on retiring after all :)

Discuss!

Skrot
10-23-04, 08:42 PM
Wow... very good news. But isn't it nearly explicitly said in some interview? I must say I'm confused, now.

Intel17
10-23-04, 09:02 PM
Well, this is from Carmack himself, and not some interpretation by a CNN reporter, so i'd trust this :)

I am extremely glad that hes not planning on leaving and that hes actually HAVING A GOOD TIME programming the next engine :) :) :) :)

Yay! More OpenGL engines to come!

XP_GUN
10-23-04, 09:13 PM
Thats cool, I would like to write him but have no qlue what to write about.....

jAkUp
10-23-04, 09:27 PM
Sweet! Do you have the email that you sent?? And whats his address? I'd like to have an email from John Carmack to my collection... already have a few from Gabe :nanahump:

SH64
10-23-04, 09:40 PM
:hmmm: .. can you provide some more info like JC's email-add or show us the e-mail itself with the header .. how would you know if its the real Carmack or just someone messin' with ya ?

Intel17
10-23-04, 09:46 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but how do i take a pic. of the header and the other stuff needed to prove to you guys this aint a spoof?

Also, I emailed him first at his email address and then he responded.

Also, please don't send him irrelevant questions, because he's REALLY busy.

einstein_314
10-23-04, 09:49 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but how do i take a pic. of the header and the other stuff needed to prove to you guys this aint a spoof?

Oh, I was under the impression that he just email you out of the blue informing you that he wasn't retiring.:jumping:

SH64
10-23-04, 09:56 PM

how about taking a screenshot for the e-mail .. its like when you take a screenshot for your desktop using the print screen key or using an screen capture program . its easy .
or any other good proof you can provide . dont get me wrong but everyone else can claim that he recieved an e-mail from JC ...

majortom
10-23-04, 11:05 PM
hmmm, hey intel, i found the real email carmack sent you:

first off, thank you for your support of id's games, im glad you liked doom3. however, please stop sending me naked pictures of yourself making love to a doom3 box. if you do stop, i will promise to continue making game engines. just please, for the love of god, stop.

regards,
john carmack

superklye
10-23-04, 11:41 PM
I got an email from John Romero apolgizing for D...a and asking me to make him my bitch

aaahhh52
10-24-04, 12:24 AM
i got an email from jesus one time...he said he loved fish

Intel17
10-24-04, 06:28 AM
http://img93.exs.cx/img93/9289/carmack.jpg

Here's the email

Notice the insane amound of begging I had to do ;)

Diamond_G
10-24-04, 06:33 AM
wow i would print it and frame it.... who knows it could be worth some money!!!

Intel17
10-24-04, 08:35 AM
LOL. To me it's worth like a million bucks...cuz its teh Carmack.

So, apparently, if graphics are still interesting, you can bet carmack will be there :) :)

Gaco
10-24-04, 08:51 AM
I didn't know this was such a big deal, though I was VERY surprised and pretty happy when I got reply from Carmack myself a while ago (shortly after Doom3 was announced gold), I just thought that a god like him didn't have time for puny little humans like us :). I asked him a few questions on how best to approach the gaming-industry if you're considering to educate yourself into a game programmer or such. So I'm totally confident that Intel17 did had a reply from Carmack, because when I can, anybody can :)

Now poor JC; He will get spammed with emails from all the NV users :D

Anyway, would you like me to share the email with you?

Intel17
10-24-04, 08:58 AM
YES! Share the email!!

BTW: Please don't spam poor JC with obvious/pointless questions, because then he wont reply to people's serious questions :)

Gaco
10-24-04, 09:10 AM
At 07:10 PM 7/20/2004 +0200, you wrote:
Greetings mr. Carmack.

I do not expect to get any reply on this email because I know that you are always pretty busy. But in the light of Doom3 going GOLD (congrats man) I thought there might be room for a couple of questions from a big fan =)

Q: 1. How would you recommend me to approach the game industry? I am a 16 year old boy from Denmark, just 2 weeks from starting in high school, loving computers and computer games with all my heart, and a having a burning desire to learn more about the architecture of 3D grapchics programming and/or designing. Are there any specific educations that you can recommend?

A: Learn math and physics really well. Not just well enough to pass the tests, but well enough to teach the subject, because that is effectively what a programmer needs to do -- "teach" the computer.

The best way to get into the industry is to write game mods, because it lets you demonstrate your ability without having to create a complete game from scratch.

Q: 2. How did you get to the point where you stand today? I mean, it would seem to me that it takes some kind of supernatural intelligence to write engines for games like doom and quake2 and quake 3. Is it really possible for a normal human being like me to get into the industry, or does it take some kind of inborn talent? Just be honest here :-)

A: Many programmers are needed that are simply competent and hard working. Innate talent is always valuable, but

Q: 3. Due to the successes of your brilliant games, you don't really have to work, though you continue to work as usual. Have you ever thought about work half time or anything or is work all in your life? Do you have a family to take care of, or are you just a pasty-skinned super-intelligent nerd, nerdin' it out all day? =D

A: Half my time goes to www.armadilloaerospace.com, where I am building manned rocket ships. I have been married for four years, and have a baby boy on the way next month.

John Carmack

The reply is unedited, apart from the A's and Q's I have added, just to make it clear who's speaking :)
Also note that some of the answer for question 2 is missing, must have been ripped out between our mail servers... =/
I apologize for any spelling errors that might be in there, I never really expected him to reply anyway, so I didn't doublecheck my grammar before sending him the email :o

I could go and take screenshots of my inbox and email if you don't believe me, but im just too lazy for that right now. But take my word for it: I would never fake an email from JC just to get attention ;)

Oh and by the way, its great news that Carmack are still undecided on retirering, and that he's stil having a great time programming. If he was here, I would just say "Keep up the good work, JC :thumbsup:"

Riptide
10-24-04, 09:43 AM
Way back when Wil Wheaton was playing Wesley Crusher I somehow stumbled on his e-mail address on the web. I think the reply I got was "Nice to hear from you but please don't write me ever again." He was getting a lot of hate mail at the time because there were a lot of people who hated his character (can't say I really liked Wes either). Enough that they started a USENET group alt.ensign.wesley.crusher.die.die.die. :)

Gaco
10-24-04, 09:48 AM
Poor guy :p

lIqUID
10-24-04, 12:36 PM
wow its an email :retard:

aAv7
10-24-04, 03:30 PM
Although I really don't think he has much left to contribute to the indusrty at this point, other than being who he is, it's cool he took the time out to email you....def. gotta respect that.

Subtestube
10-24-04, 04:54 PM
Although I really don't think he has much left to contribute to the indusrty at this point, other than being who he is, it's cool he took the time out to email you....def. gotta respect that.

Interesting comment. Can I ask you to clarify what you mean when you say you don't think he has much to contribute? I'm not asking aggressively, I'm genuinely interested.

Intel17
10-24-04, 05:04 PM

Really? Nothing left to contribute eh? Are you saying that Doom3 is photorealistic?

superklye
10-24-04, 05:15 PM
Really? Nothing left to contribute eh? Are you saying that Doom3 is photorealistic?
;)