PDA

View Full Version : No floppy bios backup?

JediDrew
10-24-04, 04:19 PM
Hi,
I do not have a floppy drive and im to broke to get one. Ive come to the question of figuring out how I can backup and flash my video card without one? I need the backup bios first of all so thats priority. Help me please!

mustrum
10-24-04, 04:42 PM
Hi,
I do not have a floppy drive and im to broke to get one. Ive come to the question of figuring out how I can backup and flash my video card without one? I need the backup bios first of all so thats priority. Help me please!
Don't use the windows flash method (there is one).
Windows is too buggy to trust! :D
You caneasily make a bootable CD and bun the files there.
You can also use an old Win98/ME disk and boot up with cd-rom support. Then switch in the CD with the bios and flashfiles and FLASH!
No need for a floppy.

JediDrew
10-24-04, 04:45 PM
Don't use the windows flash method (there is one).
Windows is too buggy to trust! :D
You caneasily make a bootable CD and bun the files there.
You can also use an old Win98/ME disk and boot up with cd-rom support. Then switch in the CD with the bios and flashfiles and FLASH!
No need for a floppy.
LOL Im completly stupid and have no idea what you mean. I know how to make a bootable cd to flash the card I just have no idea how to back it up .

msxyz
10-24-04, 04:59 PM
Recent motherboards allow to boot even from flash USB drives.

JediDrew
10-24-04, 05:02 PM
Recent motherboards allow to boot even from flash USB drives.
Dont have one :(. All I need to do is figure out how to back this crap up and I have it from there :retard: :bash:

kahloq
10-24-04, 06:41 PM
you can use nvflash to make a backup bios and it doesnt require a floppy....i saved it on HD for future use if needed. There are also plenty of bios files on the net for 6800 cards you can use if you need to do a restore

anzak
10-24-04, 06:58 PM
If your flashing a 6800GT to 1.4v or Ultra don't. My card recently died and there is a good chance that is why. Don't void your warranty and kill your card over a few mhz!

mustrum
10-25-04, 03:49 AM
If your flashing a 6800GT to 1.4v or Ultra don't. My card recently died and there is a good chance that is why. Don't void your warranty and kill your card over a few mhz!
You're spamming this all over the place man. :)
I know it sucks that your card died but i hear people reporting that their GT came with 1.4v stock! If that's true 1.4v can't harm the card at all.
Just don't flash to ULTRA since the bios is meant for different memory chips and another PCB. Editing a GT bios shouldn't harm the card as long the temps are ok.

ihiktacos
10-25-04, 08:44 AM
As a response to whether your GT comes with 1.4. I would like to see this from someone actually measuring the voltage instead of using these tools on the web to modify the bios. I tried a few different versions of this voltmodding program and depending on the version used I do get different voltages reported, 1.3 or 1.4. Not just earlier, but even later versions are not consistent.

Unless a card is marketed as highly overclocked out of the box, why would a manufacturer increase the voltage on the stock/reference card? All it does is shorten the lifespan.

Not saying there aren't any, I just wonder why and have my doubts since that voltmodding software isn't exactly reliable (and seems to be what most people use).

(Sorry for going slightly off-topic)

Chippy
10-25-04, 12:41 PM
Hi,

Dude, you are too broke to buy an $8 floppy disk drive?

Then sell your computer and use the money to buy food and clothes.

Chip

JediDrew
10-25-04, 06:37 PM
Dude, you are too broke to buy an $8 floppy disk drive?

Then sell your computer and use the money to buy food and clothes.

Chip
LOL Thats where all my money goes. I must note that im only 17 and finding a jobs a bitch around this part of town. My parents dont share money no matter how much I ask LOL I just went into my moms computer and stole her floppy drive. All is well now and changing volts didnt make a difference so I just backed up my old bios. Is there any 6800NU bios around thats better then the EVGA Rev.1?