PDA

View Full Version : Does 4xS AA take more of aperformance hit then it should?

Cali3350
10-24-04, 07:27 PM
Ive heard this can really help the texture shimmering problem, but im forced to wonder why Nvidia would leave it out of control panel? Its 2xSS and 2xMS correct? Why leave it out if the hardware fully supports it at no abnormal performance hit?

Anyway, the question is will forcing this cause a abnormal performance hit? I really SS takes much more, im just wondering if this "hacked" way will hurt performance more then it should.

ChrisRay
10-24-04, 07:32 PM
Ive heard this can really help the texture shimmering problem, but im forced to wonder why Nvidia would leave it out of control panel? Its 2xSS and 2xMS correct? Why leave it out if the hardware fully supports it at no abnormal performance hit?

Anyway, the question is will forcing this cause a abnormal performance hit? I really SS takes much more, im just wondering if this "hacked" way will hurt performance more then it should.

Its not much faster than 8xS and really doesnt produce better edge quality than 4x, The shimmering fix just happens to be a nice side effect of super sampling.

CaptNKILL
10-24-04, 07:43 PM
The main reason it isnt there is because its D3D only and they only show options that work for both D3D and OpenGL.

mezkal
10-24-04, 11:51 PM

My guess is that SS modes on NV screw up some of the shader texture detail, thereby negating some of shader effects. I've seen SS modes in Tribes : V have some negative effects on the game (some shaders don't draw properly, many of the detailed bump map textures get blurred at obtuse angles etc). Sad, because they generally do not affect performance as much, as the SS modes tend be lower bandwidth usage.

Personally I don't recommend the SS modes with more modern games.

fivefeet8
10-25-04, 01:30 AM
My guess is that SS modes on NV screw up some of the shader texture detail, thereby negating some of shader effects. I've seen SS modes in Tribes : V have some negative effects on the game (some shaders don't draw properly, many of the detailed bump map textures get blurred at obtuse angles etc). Sad, because they generally do not affect performance as much, as the SS modes tend be lower bandwidth usage.

SS blurs the whole scene so it's not relegated to only shader texture detail. SS is even more bandwidth intense than MS AA and cause higher performance penalties. Take a look at ChrisRays performance comparison in his sticky thread. ;)

mezkal
10-25-04, 01:46 AM
That may well be the case on a 6800 but on FX 5900XT with 4xS I get better framerates. Unless the FSAA isn't engaging at all (sure looks like its working, especially noticeable on edges of object) I'm sure getting better frame rates. That said I think that's due to SS modes on my FX killing a lot of texture detail onscreen.