PDA

View Full Version : Everquest 2 ships on November 8th

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Xav
11-01-04, 12:35 AM
Intresting trick I found tonight. If you turn bloom options off and start the game up with AA on...you can then reenable the bloom and run both. Very strange but it makes me think the issue is deffinately repairable.

ChrisRay
11-01-04, 02:26 AM
Anyway all my complaints about the "Starting" system aside, I like the surviving a disaster theme EQ 2 has, The whole concept of survival and rebuilding is alot more interesting than Sony's EQ 1 philoshopy, Which essentially revolves around killing and destroying the world. heh

Xav
11-01-04, 02:41 AM
Update..2xAA makes me go CHUGGY CHUGGY in dungeon groups ;)

ChrisRay
11-01-04, 02:59 AM
Update..2xAA makes me go CHUGGY CHUGGY in dungeon groups ;)

What settings do you have your textures at? At high you're probably exceeding your frame buffer with AA since its not compressed at all. And uses like 256 megs of vram, I've been trying to determine the visual differences between the various texture modes myself. I have a hard time seeing them.

Xav
11-01-04, 11:06 AM
Aye sir I'm running at maximum on environment and char texture resolution. I played with both high and max and couldn't get past the difference between them.

Look at a newbie robe (or chainmail) up close or in 3rd person view and you will see it bigtime. The walls and cobblestones in Freeport also look quite a bit nicer at max. The Ruins is another good place where it stands out.

For now I switched AA off...I got so used to not running it on EQ2 that I don't miss it really. I'd imagine the bloom is probably helping there too by softening up the picture.

AA does look good on the game though.

ChrisRay
11-01-04, 02:39 PM
Aye sir I'm running at maximum on environment and char texture resolution. I played with both high and max and couldn't get past the difference between them.

Look at a newbie robe (or chainmail) up close or in 3rd person view and you will see it bigtime. The walls and cobblestones in Freeport also look quite a bit nicer at max. The Ruins is another good place where it stands out.

For now I switched AA off...I got so used to not running it on EQ2 that I don't miss it really. I'd imagine the bloom is probably helping there too by softening up the picture.

AA does look good on the game though.

You know for maximum they reccomend a 512 meg graphic card right? You're probably making a ton of texture swaps from you system ram ;)

Xav
11-01-04, 03:28 PM
Figured it may be..interesting thing is outdoors I'm still seeing framerate in the 80's lol.

When I go in a dungeon is the only time I have to turn things down...usually the texture resolution slider going down fixes framerate issues.

Xav
11-01-04, 03:29 PM
I think it's just me and you keeping this thread alive now. ;)

ChrisRay
11-01-04, 03:57 PM
I think it's just me and you keeping this thread alive now. ;)

Oh well. We're discussing the game. Whats wrong with that. I'm playing right now, Gonna make my scout a bard :) But I decided lower texture resolution isnt that bad in terms of quality, I decided myself I can deal with the lower texture resolution, since I can turn up, Lighting Shadows and AA/AF max and still get a pretty beautiful game. Speculiar effects are amazing in this game. I think its a good trade up for the quality and performance in game. I cant control how much vram I have, So I think its the best compromise.

Xav
11-01-04, 04:47 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all :) Just thought it humorous.

The game does have great lighting doesn't it? I love the look of the streets when it's raining. I'm just torn between paladin and shadowknight and the current state they are in. I have fun with the crusader class but coming from 4 years of playing a pally in EQLive I'm still a bit gunshy of stepping back into that whole mess again. I don't want to regret my choice down the road. :)

As far as performance goes I'm sure I will end up trying to find a compromise somewhere to get that framerate up a tad more.

ChrisRay
11-01-04, 05:29 PM
What do Crusaders do that differate themselves from say warriors? I know what a Paladin/Shadow Knight is obviously but the crusader class is a mystery to me.

Xav
11-02-04, 12:07 AM
Well aside from heals(pally) and lifetaps(SK) and of course pets and summonable steeds...the crusaders can't use every weapon like a war and at this time they can't use tower shields. They can however use the best armor in the game along with the warriors.

The other things would probably be a bit fewer HP but the healing spells make up for that along with self wards that soak up incoming damage. Crusaders don't have the DPS of wars but it appears that defense is the same and SOE is giving them spells to make up some of that lost damage.

Lastly I believe the wars have a bit better taunting but I think they are working on that issue..trying not to get aggro methods too generic across classes.

I think alot of what draws people to crusaders is the image and roleplay mostly along with a desire to have spells for that extra flavor.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting here.

Sovereignxp
11-02-04, 12:24 AM
I want to make a character that can smith fine swords and can be a good

fighter, mabey tank well, really good with a sword, mabey heal powers too.

I'm new to EQ and I don't know what classe(s) would best fit what I stated.

Any suggestions? I want to be ready for EQ2.

I don't want to have a chump for a character.

ChrisRay
11-02-04, 04:46 AM
I want to make a character that can smith fine swords and can be a good

fighter, mabey tank well, really good with a sword, mabey heal powers too.

I'm new to EQ and I don't know what classe(s) would best fit what I stated.

Any suggestions? I want to be ready for EQ2.

I don't want to have a chump for a character.

From what I have seen there are no "Chump" Charactors and EQ is pretty customizable. I have been playing bard so far and enjoying it, I am looking over a list of their skills. (I'll go down the troubadar path since well.. its REALLY hard to change your path anyway) But I prefer the troubador outlook on things, I will definately be a bard on release just because the class intrigues me :)

Besides bards seem to be the rather unpopular class now.. SOny just needs to make frogloks available and get rid of this quest crap behind them..

ynnek
11-02-04, 10:44 AM
can you multiclass in EQ2? Like Assasin Cleric? Or Assasin Wisard dude? Any restraints on multiclass? (Like one class has to be within 10 levels of the other, you get the worse qualities of both clases, etc)

I know the "artisan" skill path is seperate, open to everyone.. meaning you can be a leve 20 fighter, and a level 75 artisan, or vice versa.. Its up to you.

What i've read, EQ2 tries to prevent "chump" chars.. which is good and bad..

Graphicmaniac
11-02-04, 11:04 AM
Does EQ2 use P.S and V.S 3.0 ?

ynnek
11-02-04, 11:14 AM
PS2.0, you need a DX9 card...

I hear from people, that it can be taxing on today's high end machines, especially on areas with lots of people at the same time.

Combine that with long continous sessions on avg (like 4+ hour), better hope your system and cooling is stable!

Does EQ2 use P.S and V.S 3.0 ?

Graphicmaniac
11-02-04, 11:40 AM
Thats very strange, isn't EQ2 part of the TWIMTBP ?

ynnek
11-02-04, 12:14 PM
ah, actually, I may be wrong, doing some more reaidng.

however, I bet you that its not going to make too much of a difference.

|MaguS|
11-02-04, 01:23 PM
EQ2 will support SM3.0 :)

ChrisRay
11-02-04, 04:12 PM
can you multiclass in EQ2? Like Assasin Cleric? Or Assasin Wisard dude? Any restraints on multiclass? (Like one class has to be within 10 levels of the other, you get the worse qualities of both clases, etc)

I know the "artisan" skill path is seperate, open to everyone.. meaning you can be a leve 20 fighter, and a level 75 artisan, or vice versa.. Its up to you.

What i've read, EQ2 tries to prevent "chump" chars.. which is good and bad..

Multiclassing is not possible. Its simply a class tree. However there are some pretty cool traits in game. Plus customization is really nice.

On the DirectX 9.0 requirements, Thats incorrect, This game requires a DirectX 8.0 class hardware, It uses shaders for lighting, Vertex for modeling, Also water, player models ect are all shaded. I noticed that forcing a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 rendering path has resulted in slight IQ discrepencies.

thunderhippo
11-02-04, 04:49 PM
eq2 runs like crap on my machine..
athlon 64 3200, 1 gig of ram, bfg 6800 ultra oc.
i can run it ok on good performance, average and high run s l o w
at work it runs much better on almost the same machine with a gig mroe of ram

ChrisRay
11-02-04, 08:29 PM
Ithink you guys are going to find one of the biggest indicator of performance in this game is gonna be vram and texture resolutions. High and Maximum require "Massive" amounts of Video Ram.

ChrisRay
11-02-04, 08:53 PM
I am pretty irritated, They broke Anti Aliasing with the latest patch.. Now nothing you can do will get it working..

Graphicmaniac
11-03-04, 02:32 AM
AA broken just 5 days before the release?

lol

anyway if vram is gonna be the real bottleneck of performance, then will SLI help giving 256+256 of vram?

if yes then i think is already possible play EQ2 with the highest settings possible using an SLI configuration :)