PDA

View Full Version : Just finished HALO 2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

saturnotaku
10-25-04, 03:09 PM
so I was saying, if games had some sort of rental option, these people wouldn't have an excuse to download these games and get lazy.

:lol2:

You just keep on believing that.

aAv7
10-25-04, 03:12 PM
I didnt say they would quit downloading the games, I said they wouldnt have an excuse to do it.

ragejg
10-25-04, 03:13 PM
CHILDREN CUT THE CRAP.

Superfly, your ass is too close to being banned.

The rest of you who have been bungholes in this thread (personal attacks and the like), well, this is a warning... don't be such bungholes, or there may be consequences resulting in stuff like IP banning, account deletion.. you get the idea.

:mad:

Riptide
It's good that some companies like to release demo versions as that might help discourage some people from downloading a cracked copy even if it is just to try it out and see what they think of it before buying.

saturnotaku
The real crime is deciding to try it and then not going out and purchasing a license if you keep playing it.

OK, then I'll go to the grocery store and steal a box of cereal I've wanted to try. Then after I eat the whole box and decide I like it, I'll start buying that brand. Or I'll go to Marshall Fields and steal a pair of Levis. If I like how they fit, I'll go back and buy three more pairs.

Rip, I love 'ya, but that's weak.

ragejg
10-25-04, 03:14 PM
I'll keep my hand off the "close thread" button for 1/2 hour more... ANY HINT of immaturity and this is gonna get locked.

zoomy942
10-25-04, 03:16 PM
I'll leave this open for 1/2 hour more... ANY HINT of immaturity and this is gonna get locked.
(popcorn) (pimp)

Ninjaman09
10-25-04, 03:16 PM
I'm with saturn on this one. Stealing can't be justified, it's still stealing.

The morality of stealing is another argument entirely. I personally don't give a crap if you steal video games. But don't try to act like you're anything more than a theif, because you aren't. That's the point I was trying to make. Ugh, it always take me like 5 posts to say what I want to say :retard:

Riptide
10-25-04, 03:18 PM
This is not a box of cereal, it's a piece of software. It's not the same thing.

If I steal a car I get in a lot more trouble then stealing a package of bubble gum. Both are stealing but one is worse then the other. I'm simply showing that there are shades of gray here.

I agree that even demoing a game with the best of intentions, if using a cracked copy, is illegal and wrong. But I'm going to keep on doing it anyway because frankly I don't feel guilty about it no matter how much someone wants me to. I pay for the games I keep, end of story. They get their money.

I'm not losing sleep at night over this. ;)

aAv7
10-25-04, 03:20 PM
This is not a box of cereal, it's a piece of software. It's not the same thing.

If I steal a car I get in a lot more trouble then stealing a package of bubble gum. Both are stealing but one is worse then the other. I'm simply showing that there are shades of gray here.

I agree that even demoing a game with the best of intentions, if using a cracked copy, is illegal and wrong. But I'm going to keep on doing it anyway because frankly I don't feel guilty about it no matter how much someone wants me to. I pay for the games I keep, end of story. They get their money.

I'm not losing sleep at night over this. ;)

(popcorn)

nVestor
OK, then I'll go to the grocery store and steal a box of cereal I've wanted to try. Then after I eat the whole box and decide I like it, I'll start buying that brand. Or I'll go to Marshall Fields and steal a pair of Levis. If I like how they fit, I'll go back and buy three more pairs.

I was kinda thinking the samething myself sat. On PC and console, we already get demo disc and previews. Instead of stealing it, you could just wait for a console game to become availible at a rental store like Blockbuster and give it a go. $3 to $5 for a rental is morally responsible than just ripping it off the web. At least Blockbuster pays the full price vs. you, that's one hell of a bargin to be honest Riptide. :)

If a game demo has you craving the full version, my guess is it has served it's purpose. :)

majortom
I'll keep my hand off the "close thread" button for 1/2 hour more... ANY HINT of immaturity and this is gonna get locked.

.......PENIS! :retard:

Riptide
10-25-04, 03:23 PM
If just about any department store out there permanently closed their fitting rooms then you can bet your bottom dollar a LOT more people would buy one pair, try it out, and then either return it or buy more of the same.

But there's that little thing about being able to try it on first... Kinda important there.. ;)

ragejg
10-25-04, 03:23 PM
...weak, majortom... contribute or move on.

I'm serious.

majortom
10-25-04, 03:34 PM
LOL... this argument has been done before:

1. someone says playing pirated games is the same as stealing a car
2. someone else says its not
3. repeat.

the fact of the matter is because pirating occurs all over the world, there are different laws regarding it. some countries might compare it to stealing intellectual properties, some to a more physical object. in each case/country, the punishment, if there are any, is different as well, which are shaped by our perception of what category software piracy falls under. some of us believe there is nothing wrong with playing with pirated software, and some of us equate it to grand theft auto. i think until there is a more universal law for piracy this argument isnt going to go anywhere..... hows that for contribution?

ragejg
10-25-04, 03:37 PM
hows that for contribution?

Better than your previous post at least.

Tyr-Sog
10-25-04, 03:46 PM
Wrong. Sure, we've all pirated games at one point or another.

Speak for yourself.

Superfly
10-25-04, 03:52 PM
(popcorn)

70.41 drivers are out.

lets all go get em, feel warm and cosy and move on.

I promise I'll never do it again. with cherries on top.

It is good to see such strong feeling though - seriously, you guys have got some balls

S.I.N
10-25-04, 03:58 PM
I wonder if this was Half Life 2 you mods would be condoneing this? I think he is a idiot like some of the others said. I pre-orderd the damn game for me and my bro who was right to point out he is "dumbass" and some dont think he should be called names because he is only giving is opinion? :retard: Dude pirated a copy and then gave a review here I'am waiting and at the same time paying. Justice should be in the form of a bann well unless soem of the mods do a little pirateing themselfs. :lol2:

Ninjaman09
10-25-04, 03:59 PM
Speak for yourself.
Now now, let's watch that flame-baiting. Wouldn't want to get off to a bad start.

Heh, Superfly, you should join the political thread discussions. This is nothing compared to those, and people make clearer arguments there. It's fun.

aAv7
10-25-04, 04:00 PM
I wonder if he had praised the game, would there have been as much of a backlash against him?

S.I.N
10-25-04, 04:03 PM
I wonder if he had praised the game, would there have been as much of a backlash against him?

I wonder if it was Half Life 2 this thread would still be open. How did you enjoy it ultimate? I take it you have it too.

Ninjaman09
10-25-04, 04:04 PM
I couldn't care less about Halo 2 personally, though negative opinions breed negative feedback. Once again, the morality of stealing was never the issue. Well, not with me, anyway.

schuey74
10-25-04, 04:13 PM
How's downloading a game and playing it to see if you like it any different from you borrowing the game from a friend and trying it? The only difference I see is that if you borrow the game, you must return it if you want to keep your friend. If you download the game, there is no friend asking you for the game back so it's morally up to you to make the right decision. Some people can't make that hard decision so their better off keeping away from the temptation.

And what happens when you lend out your games? Ignorance doesn't excuse piracy so if you lend out your games you can't pretend that the lendee could not be copying your CD or using a No-CD crack. You may feel better because you didn't actually download or copy the game, but you contribute just as much to the problem because that's one less original that will be bought.

aAv7
10-25-04, 04:15 PM
I wonder if it was Half Life 2 this thread would still be open. How did you enjoy it ultimate? I take it you have it too.

I haven't played it, what made you think that? My fiance pre-ordered the SE a while back...I'm waiting till then. I honestly don't care much for Halo, but she loves it, so since it will be in the house, I will give it a shot. I don't steal games, not even for a "test ride" ...just ain't my thing, I love games and want to see them flourish, so I go by the " ya takes yur chances" cliche, if her and I don't like Halo 2, oh well....there's always the option to trade it in :)

I was defending him based on his opinion. People said he had no right to say the game sucked because he didn't pay for the game. I understand where there coming from, but at the same point, if it sucks-regardless to how you played it, it still sucks. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. So that's why I said, I wonder if there would have been such a backlash, if he had said "Best.Game.Ever." like i'm sure they will in EGM and every other console mag next month. :rolleyes: