PDA

View Full Version : New 6800 Ultra Fuxor3d

rthom
10-25-04, 10:30 PM
I posted this as a reply in another thread, but I figured I'd start up a new thread on this problem as I hope people will read this and know a little bit more about their nice new video card!

Yesterday, I loaded my pc in my car to drive over to my brother's house because his pc was having some issues with random restarts... I wanted to swap a few components out to see if that was the problem...

To make a short story even shorter, I get to his house, plug my pc in and my video does not start! Pop open the case and well, there is a round cylindrical object rolling around in the bottom. It took me a few minutes but I managed to match it up with a few identical objects on my 6800 ultra graphics card board. Looking at the board, I found where the object fell off of..... **** pictures to follow soon!!!**** .

So now I'm just a LITTLE peeved at my situation.... My 500 dollar graphics card does not survive an uneventful 10 mile car trip. I will try to RMA this card and I'll keep everyone posted on this problem... I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!

On another note... I saw where one user had the same thing happen to his card on this forum.... Does anyone know of any similar incidents? Any help on this one will be appreciated.

-=DVS=-
10-25-04, 10:37 PM
Other user went to TV technician and replaced part missing , think it was capacitor ?

SigmaOrionis
10-25-04, 11:55 PM
I cant believe a capacitor would just fly off the board thats crazy. I mean look at people who actually bend them things trying to get big HSF units on their CPUs. A lot of times there no worse for the wear afterwards.

I wonder if the manufacturer would take care of you in a circumstance like this or if they would just say nah you must of broke it.

Like DvS said it should be an easy fix for someone good with a sottering iron.

Good Luck

Sovereignxp
10-26-04, 12:21 AM
Yeah, It's a Capacitor.

Damn! sorry to hear about that.

Seems there are cards out there with a shoddy solder job.

I expect that to be a problem with Tiawan/ China built video cards.

I know this because similar things have happend to me in the past with Chaintech products.

Then I went to Vision Tek. (Back when Vision Tek made Nvidia products)

What a BIG differance in solder / component quality!

Well since Vision Tek turned ATi now, I had no Nvidia product to choose this time arround.

Then I learned about BFG, Now I am very happy, as now I am a proud owner of a BFG 6800 GT OC. Built just as good as Vision Tek, and both reside in the good ol' USA.

msxyz
10-26-04, 12:44 AM
It seems a problem with faulty solderings. This sucks. I've seen plenty of cheap no-brand entry level boards with loose components that whould fall off at the slightest shock. But from a 500$ I would expect they would use the best assembly lines.

YOGIx213
10-26-04, 01:11 AM
Check the search bar on this forum, I also remember someone with the same problem who took it to a T.V. repairman who replaced the capacitor (as stated above). It was an interesting story for me to follow.

Zetto
10-26-04, 03:38 AM
Yeah, It's a Capacitor.

Damn! sorry to hear about that.

Seems there are cards out there with a shoddy solder job.

I expect that to be a problem with Tiawan/ China built video cards.

I know this because similar things have happend to me in the past with Chaintech products.

Then I went to Vision Tek. (Back when Vision Tek made Nvidia products)

What a BIG differance in solder / component quality!

Well since Vision Tek turned ATi now, I had no Nvidia product to choose this time arround.

Then I learned about BFG, Now I am very happy, as now I am a proud owner of a BFG 6800 GT OC. Built just as good as Vision Tek, and both reside in the good ol' USA.

Actually, Visiontek outsourced the production before its demise and turning into ATI house. I am pretty sure that BFG's videocards ain't manufactured in good ol' USA either.

theultimo
10-26-04, 06:02 AM
Actually, Visiontek outsourced the production before its demise and turning into ATI house. I am pretty sure that BFG's videocards ain't manufactured in good ol' USA either.

From www.bfgtech.com:
BFG Technologies is a privately held U.S. based supplier of premium 3D video cards based on award-winning NVIDIA graphics technology. The employees of BFG Tech are dedicated to bringing the latest high quality, high-tech multimedia products to PC and gaming enthusiasts at competitive prices.

BTW, they make the cards in the us, same place i shipped my RMA.

rthom
10-28-04, 05:41 PM
As promised, here is a picture of my problem. As you will note, it appears to be a very clean break along the legs of the capacitor. This is the bottom right corner of the card when looking from the side the heat sink is on. This shouldn't pose an issue to one handy with a soldering iron, but I'm still going to RMA the card as this problem certainly lies with the manufacturing of the card.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tryan8227/MVC-011F.JPG