PDA

View Full Version : that alienware confused me

zoomy942
10-26-04, 07:45 AM
i thought nvidia had their SLI and Alienware had their "dual video solution". i looked at that link on the home page and now i am confused..

http://www.alienware.com/standalone_pages/sli.aspx

|MaguS|
10-26-04, 08:13 AM
Alienwares "Dual Video Solution" is suppose to work with any card... not only Nvidia based cards. So according to them they will be able to "SLI" x800 with thier "Dual Video Solution", if they are still planning to do this and if it will work is still up in the air.

In other words... Nvidia SLI and Alienwares "Dual Video Solution" do the same thing, just differently. SLI is for Nvidia SLI compatible cards while DVS is for any XPCI.

http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/main_content.aspx

zoomy942
10-26-04, 08:24 AM
Alienwares "Dual Video Solution" is suppose to work with any card... not only Nvidia based cards. So according to them they will be able to "SLI" x800 with thier "Dual Video Solution", if they are still planning to do this and if it will work is still up in the air.

In other words... Nvidia SLI and Alienwares "Dual Video Solution" do the same thing, just differently. SLI is for Nvidia SLI compatible cards while DVS is for any XPCI.

http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/main_content.aspx

yeah, i knew the details of it, i guess that, if alienware is gonna have their "work with any card" stuff, i didnt think they would sell nvidia sli also. I guess thats why i dont work at alienware :)

tyx
10-26-04, 08:40 AM
However, the alienware solution is less effective than the nVidia's one. While Alienware's "Dual Video Solution" splits the screen into 2 and each card will render seperately, SLI is able to split the workload equally bewteen each card depending on the situation thus you can have one card doing 3/4 screen while the other doing 1/4 making it much more efficient. The Dual Video solution also needs a third card to process the output of both vedio cards while SLI depends more on the master slave concept.

GlowStick
10-26-04, 10:24 AM
Nvidias SLI solution is easier to implment than Alienwares sli, that is why they are pushing it out the door.

However there is a GOOD chance that we will never see Dual X800's because of Alienware's history of not getting things done. Rember they did something exactly the same a while ago with Wicked3D, they had dual voodoo3 cards running, however when it came to retail they never deliverd because Nvidia and 3DFX and ATi came out with faster products before Alienware could even react, makeing their dual card's useless.

I have a feeling the same thing has already happend, Why should alienware spend time and money developing the hardware/software, THEN manufacutre it on a large scale, when Nvidia has already did the footwork? No special software they have to continue to update and support, they just let someone else do it.

Id like to see them still go ahead with their plans so we can see X800 systems out there, but i have a feeling this will dissapeir like the Wicked3D solutions.

Johnmcl7
10-26-04, 11:09 AM
However, the alienware solution is less effective than the nVidia's one. While Alienware's "Dual Video Solution" splits the screen into 2 and each card will render seperately, SLI is able to split the workload equally bewteen each card depending on the situation thus you can have one card doing 3/4 screen while the other doing 1/4 making it much more efficient. The Dual Video solution also needs a third card to process the output of both vedio cards while SLI depends more on the master slave concept.

No, the Alienware also splits the workload up so each graphics card does a similar amount of work, so it can also do 50/50, 40/60, 30/70 etc.

I haven't seen anything about the the Alienware solution needing a third video card.

John

ragejg
10-26-04, 11:25 AM
third video card.

no, third CARD, as in a PCI card...

Johnmcl7
10-26-04, 03:55 PM
A third card is hardly a big deal given the flexibility it allows, I doubt many people use all their PCI slots.

John

Subtestube
10-26-04, 05:01 PM
Ahhh, but the alienware solution is definitely not as powerful. As far as I know, optimally you get 1.7x performance, compared to nVidia's 1.87x performance. Of course, we won't know if these figures are accurate until we actually see reviews of both.

austincraig23
10-27-04, 01:15 AM
nvidias can optimise their drivers for sli.

alien can not do this w/o nvidias help.

so i think nvidia would have an advantage.

Johnmcl7
10-27-04, 06:49 AM
Given that Alienware are selling SLI systems, I wonder if we're even going to see video array products...

John