PDA

View Full Version : NV5 silencer ownage

Pages : [1] 2

Hyperspam
10-26-04, 08:59 AM
Hi.

After reading some horror stories about how badly constructed the NV5 silencer was on these forums, it was with much hesitation that I ordered one myself, to go on my reference-designed Gainward 6800 GT (yes, the scam-card).

I saw numbers here ranging from low to mid 70's after changing to the NV5 silencer, and considering with the stock heatsink my card ran about 83 degrees with RTHDRIBL on for only a few minutes, I thought it'd be worth it.

So I got the NV5 silencer, noticed that it indeed was pretty badly built. I had to use alot of paste on some of the memory modules to get decent contact, and I had to trim down the voltage regulator heatsink to avoid collision with the plastic casing. As for the core, I rubbed in a very thin layer of AS5 on the heatsink as it was a very rough surface, then applied a thicker layer all over the core. After trying it out only about half the core made contact, so I had to slap on more AS5 and figured this will probably not work out well at all.

But now i've been running RTHDRIBL at the highest settings at 863x907 res for about 20 minutes... and the core is still fluctuating between 62 and 63 degrees. That's over 20 degrees less than I had before! This is at 400/1100, and i'm thinking i'll have plenty of room for a voltmod and higher clocks now.

So, I strongly recommend the Artic Silencer atleast if you have the single-slot reference cooler. It doesn't look good when you're installing it, but looks can be decieving!

:nanahump:

mustrum
10-26-04, 09:05 AM
Hi.

After reading some horror stories about how badly constructed the NV5 silencer was on these forums, it was with much hesitation that I ordered one myself, to go on my reference-designed Gainward 6800 GT (yes, the scam-card).

I saw numbers here ranging from low to mid 70's after changing to the NV5 silencer, and considering with the stock heatsink my card ran about 83 degrees with RTHDRIBL on for only a few minutes, I thought it'd be worth it.

So I got the NV5 silencer, noticed that it indeed was pretty badly built. I had to use alot of paste on some of the memory modules to get decent contact, and I had to trim down the voltage regulator heatsink to avoid collision with the plastic casing. As for the core, I rubbed in a very thin layer of AS5 on the heatsink as it was a very rough surface, then applied a thicker layer all over the core. After trying it out only about half the core made contact, so I had to slap on more AS5 and figured this will probably not work out well at all.

But now i've been running RTHDRIBL at the highest settings at 863x907 res for about 20 minutes... and the core is still fluctuating between 62 and 63 degrees. That's over 20 degrees less than I had before! This is at 400/1100, and i'm thinking i'll have plenty of room for a voltmod and higher clocks now.

So, I strongly recommend the Artic Silencer atleast if you have the single-slot reference cooler. It doesn't look good when you're installing it, but looks can be decieving!

This shows once more how crappy the reference coolers of current video cards are. Imagine what temps you'd get if there would be a cooler just like the NV5 but well made! I think it's unbearable since we pay a premium price for current cards and get so crappy cooling solutions.

swsnyder
10-26-04, 09:33 AM
Installing the NV5 on my BFG 6800GT OC reduced my temperatures by 10C. That reduction is seen both when idle and under load. It also reduced my case temps by a couple of degrees.

My only concern about the NV5 is that the blades of the fan is so very very close to the card in the next slot, about 1/8 inch. I'm worried that if the NV5 shifts at all it will impact the adjacent network card.

Other than the positioning, I am happy with my NV5.

bkswaney
10-26-04, 10:10 AM
I saw almost 20 degree's when I put one on my BFG.

My NV5 had no problems. It fit great. :)
I love my NV5. :D

Decimator
10-26-04, 11:50 AM
This shows once more how crappy the reference coolers of current video cards are. Imagine what temps you'd get if there would be a cooler just like the NV5 but well made! I think it's unbearable since we pay a premium price for current cards and get so crappy cooling solutions.

Exactly, the card manufacturers should spend a bit more in that area for their own good as well, they would get fewer RMA'd cards and a better reputation.

Hyperspam
10-26-04, 12:58 PM
I was most surprised at the thermal pads or whatever the hell they were that were used for the memory. They seemed to be made of some sort of foam-ish material, no way they could have anywhere near decent heat transfer.

And the heatsink for the core is tiny, way smaller than what was on for example my GF2 GTS. The whole thing looks pretty solid until you remove that aluminum sheet with the graphics on it... Though it did seem to have decent thermal paste under it, looked and felt pretty much like Arctic Silver.

YOGIx213
10-26-04, 01:31 PM

Not to discredit the NV5, I think it is a great cooling solution for the 6800 series, but I don't think the reference cooler is as bad as people say. With some minor tweaks using Expertool, my fan is quiet and with the eVGA copper heatsink rather than the aluminum stock heatsink, my temps are down from an average of 64c idle (around 85-90c under load) to 53c idle (around the 70's under load).

Cinders
10-26-04, 02:19 PM
Remember AS5 needs about 200 hours use before it's completely effective... I'm running mine at stock speeds for a month to bed it in before overclocking...

I don't think you can really slate the original heatsinks, my BFG Ultra OC overclocked to 464/1200 with the standard heatsink! I only got the NV5 because the original heatsink is so loud!...

bkswaney
10-26-04, 02:27 PM
Remember AS5 needs about 200 hours use before it's completely effective... I'm running mine at stock speeds for a month to bed it in before overclocking...

I don't think you can really slate the original heatsinks, my BFG Ultra OC overclocked to 464/1200 with the standard heatsink! I only got the NV5 because the original heatsink is so loud!...

That is correct.
My temps have dropped 4 more degree's on idle since
I installed my NV5 and AS5. :D
I hope it drops some more. ;)
It's been almost 2 weeks now.

K007
10-26-04, 03:37 PM
"had to trim down the voltage regulator heatsink "

Indeed that was annoying, they never mention anything about this. I just screwed really hard because the new screws dont break off anymore.

xrotanimret
10-26-04, 05:01 PM
I just screwed really hard because the new screws dont break off anymore.
/me looks at NV Silencer 5 he received last week that had one of the screws snap off during the first installation

Sure they don't, buddy. Sure they don't. Flimsy piece of ****.. and of course, nobody from Arctic Cooling returns any of my e-mails. 6 year warranty my ass..

Ironmanstl
10-26-04, 10:21 PM
Glad it worked for you, I had no probs with my install either,
as long as you tighten evenly and don't crank the nuts down you'll be fine

check your detect optimal frequencies,mine increased 10 on my gpu running 1.4v with the addition of the nv5

also I noticed it might be wise to check the screws in a week or 2, mine loosened a bit, I think it was due to the settling of the as5
(I put excess on the mem chips to ensure good contact)

Iron

Ironmanstl
10-26-04, 10:28 PM
" I just screwed really hard because the new screws dont break off anymore.

this is quite an unsmart statement....

You should only tighten the screws evenly untill you START to see the rubber washers bulge under compression,
at that point their is suffecient pressure, the rubber acts like a spring

xrotanimret
10-26-04, 10:32 PM
this is quite an unsmart statement....

You should only tighten the screws evenly untill you START to see the rubber washers bulge under compression,
at that point their is suffecient pressure, the rubber acts like a spring
I think when I get my replacement (thanks FrozenCPU!) I'll try using the nuts and springs that're on the stock cooler now. Perhaps it will prevent any possibility of overtightening.. sucks ass that you have to use like 20+ CPUs worth of AS5 just to get contact on the memory, though. Uneven piece of crap that NV Silencer 5. Makes me want to just buy one of those heatsinks Gainward has for sale, but I don't want to create a PayPal account just for that.

Clevor
10-26-04, 11:21 PM
While it looks rather busy, the reference sink on an Ultra is pretty decent. It's massive, plus it's aluminum, what I prefer. The problem with mounting a Silencer on an Ultra is you have to drill holes in the two-slot mounting bracket to vent the exhaust - what a pain.

Anybody know where you can get a single slot, dual DVI video card bracket so maybe I can swap it out? Forget Asus, once they figure you are going aftermarket cooling.

bkswaney
10-27-04, 12:09 AM
I think when I get my replacement (thanks FrozenCPU!) I'll try using the nuts and springs that're on the stock cooler now. Perhaps it will prevent any possibility of overtightening.. sucks ass that you have to use like 20+ CPUs worth of AS5 just to get contact on the memory, though. Uneven piece of crap that NV Silencer 5. Makes me want to just buy one of those heatsinks Gainward has for sale, but I don't want to create a PayPal account just for that.

I did not have to use that much AS5 with mine.
I guess I must have got a good one. :)

Zetto
10-27-04, 02:57 AM
I did not have to use that much AS5 with mine.
I guess I must have got a good one. :)

Seems like you are an exception to the rule :rolleyes:

bkswaney
10-27-04, 04:01 AM
Seems like you are an exception to the rule :rolleyes:

I would not say that at all. :retard:
I've saw post in the past where not
everyone had to use that much AS5 on the memory.

I'm suprised how good my NV5 looked after hearing
some of these newer post on the dang thing.
If u went by what mine looked like I would give it a A+
on being well made.
When I pull mine back off I'm going to take some pics
and post them.
I might just pull my card out today
and take some picks and show just how well
it does line up on all the memory chips.
Got to change out my PSU and change
my water today anyway.
Got some new UV lights and Dye to. :D

serAph
10-27-04, 08:47 AM
mmmm the notion of an nv5 on my GT is really starting to tickle my fancy!

stncttr908
10-27-04, 10:53 AM
People are complaining about poor build quality? I've always thought Arctic Cooling's products were to great quality.

xrotanimret
10-27-04, 01:35 PM
People are complaining about poor build quality? I've always thought Arctic Cooling's products were to great quality.
Except for needing to use way too much thermal grease and the screws that snap off, right? Not to mention the horrible finish on the heatsink itself..

Seraphim
10-27-04, 07:32 PM
I have an NV5 Silencer on my PNY 6800 GT and I have mixed feelings.

With the stock cooler my card idled at 49-51c, and under load would get up to 84c @ 1.4 volts.

When I first put the NV5 Silencer w/ AC5 on I was idling @ 65c (!!!!) so I took it off and saw that even though it looked level it wasn't making good contact. So I added a ton of AC5, way more than I thought was safe, and firmly pushed it back on making sure it was even.

This time I screwed the screws so tight the washers looked ready to explode and I felt very scared that any second I would hear a loud CRACK and $400 would end up garbage. I stopped tightening when it became almost impossible to tighten anymore.

I put it back in and now under load the card only gets up to 73c. Great nice drop.

Thing is it idles @ 53-56c...........a few degrees warmer than the stock cooler idled. I am at a loss to explain this.

Over all I am satisfied with its performance under load, but I expected a drop in idle temps also.

Seraphim
10-27-04, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah, one major issue. Some people like myself have noticed that their Silencer doesn't blow out hor air, rather it sucks air in.

Usually this is met with "SHUT UP NOOB, YOU ARE CONFUSED" but I think I can tell which direction a fan is blowing, I thought maybe mine was just a bug but I have seen a lot of other people saying the same thing. So far no solutions have been mentioned anywhere I have seen.

YOGIx213
10-27-04, 07:46 PM
If you're already in the mid 40's to mid 50's idling, I wouldn't switch to a different air cooling solution because those temps seem to be the best I've seen so far from an NV5 or reference cooler on the 6800 series (there are those who have less than 45c but the average of best temps I'd say is in the mid 40's to low 50's).

If there should be an air cooling solution that can drop my temps under 40c, then I'd definitely reconsider.

bobkn
10-27-04, 08:01 PM
I wonder if making the mounting nuts as tight as possible is a good idea.

I installed my NV5 twice. The first time, I tightened the nuts as much as I dared, and the idle core temperature was higher than with the stock cooler, even before I replaced the heat sink compound on the stock cooler. (The card is a PNY 6800 GT, which uses the nVidia reference design)

I removed it, cleaned off the heat sink compound, and placed a small shim (slip of looseleaf paper) between the core and the NV5. I found that the paper was clamped tightly with just light torque on the retaining nuts.

I didn't check further, but my guess is that the card may bow too much if the nuts are over tightened, and the contact with the core may get worse rather than better.

I feel lucky that the NV5 fits my card properly. It's unfortunate that Arctic Cooling didn't provide any adjustment for the height difference between the tops of the RAM chips and the core, comparable to that of the two-piece stock cooler. (Maybe that'd be asking too much of a $30 aftermarket part.)

Others have reported lower idle temperatures than I'm getting (38C ambient, 58C core), but these temperatures are lower than I was seeing with the stock cooler. The card went above 90C under rthdribl. That dropped a bit after I replaced the original heat sink compound, but with the NV5, it peaks at around 80C. (Core at 410 MHz.) I have to remind myself that the thermal throttling of the card occurs at 120C, so 80C may not be all that bad.

Plus it's quiet, and vents the heat out the back of the case.