PDA

View Full Version : The best 6800 Ultra brand?

Pages : [1] 2

Antares
10-26-04, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, which is the best 6800 Ultra brand in your opinion? I am referring to the manufacturer here - "the best" would be related to the quality of workmanship, implementation, packake, cooling solution (stock vs. custom), support etc.

bkswaney
10-26-04, 11:12 AM
I give BFG my vote.
Well made, great customer support and the best warrt.
Also higher than stock clock speeds out of the box.

GlowStick
10-26-04, 11:15 AM
I vote for BFG also, as long as they are in business you get a warrenty!

Also their clocks are faster out of the box!

saturnotaku
10-26-04, 11:15 AM
BFG all the way. American-based, best warranty and support, no BS packaging or second-rate games. Simple but effective cards that just work.

rohit
10-27-04, 01:26 AM
Leadtek for sure, silent,effective n GOOD
Msi good, but not custom cooling
Gainward GS, great 450|1200..awesome but ony drawbak, the coolers sound is hi..

So at the Moment,I'D recommend, LEADTEK...all the way..Good reviews, and HI potential

msxyz
10-27-04, 01:54 AM
Do you realize that all the brands nowadays stick to the same reference designs and that the cards are built by the usual run of firms in Taiwan/China/Malasia? The only real difference is the cooler designs.

True, some firms may have better quality control procedures but it's not worth the money difference. In the past 3 years, I've seen the number of high end card RMAed (even from reknown brands) rise to an alarming high level.

Slyder
10-27-04, 02:19 AM
Any major brand would give you no problems I reckon.

MSI
Gigabyte
BFG

Those 3 are defintly worth the money.

rewt
10-27-04, 02:24 AM
Theres no question it's BFG. "Built For Gamers"

My BFG FX 5900 is still going strong and is flashed, modded, and overclocked :D I haven't even seen the need to upgrade.

bkswaney
10-27-04, 02:30 AM
Theres no question it's BFG. "Built For Gamers"

My BFG FX 5900 is still going strong and is flashed, modded, and overclocked :D I haven't even seen the need to upgrade.

They do have a cool name. :D

Antares
10-27-04, 03:14 AM
lol! I agree, BFG has the coolest name out there, plus they didn't earn their reputation for nothing.

Unfortunately, I only have access to the following brands: Leadtek (which I own, but runs rather hot, in the 90*C and I'm planning to change it), PNY, Gigabyte, Asus, Inno3D and MSI.

I'd prefer a reference design, since I understand it runs cooler than Leadtek, although it may be a little noisier - I don't mind the noise, but I do mind the high temps. I've won one of evga's 6800U copper heatsinks. And I will replace the standard hs with this one.

DJMONDY
10-27-04, 03:40 AM
Ive recently bought a BFG 6800 U oc and im glad i did!

After i installed it i ran loads of tests and i didnt have any problems whatsoever. The temp hasnt gone above 65 after about 3 hours of gameplay :)

So im gonna say BFG aswell. Not because i own one but coz it hasnt give me any problems since i installed it and it performs great on my fave games!!

Far cry - runs great
Doom 3 - never slows down...ever!
CS:S - a dream to play
Half-life 2 - out soon and im sure it will run great on my BFG 6800 Ultra oc
Maxpayne 2 - with 4xAA and 16AxAF at 1280-1024 all other ingame settings on high it runs like butter!!! :)

Go for BFG, you wont be dissappionted.

Sovereignxp
10-27-04, 03:41 AM
:nanahump: >>>>> B F G <<<<< :nanahump:

saturnotaku
10-27-04, 06:18 AM
I hate it when people don't read. He doesn't have access to BFG cards, folks (a fact that wasn't made known until after several of us gave our suggestions).

Of the brands available, I would say to go for either MSI or Gigabyte. I would avoid Asus at all costs because their products are generally poor considering their major price premium over the competition. Yes, MSI is expensive as well, but their products are of good quality.

Subtestube
10-27-04, 06:47 AM
I've got a Gigabyte non-ultra and it's been really good. I don't know where you are, but BFG wasn't an option for me. The 3 year warranty I've got looks all go to me! So, yeah, Gigabyte = good brand.

rohit
10-27-04, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately, I only have access to the following brands: Leadtek (which I own, but runs rather hot, in the 90*C and I'm planning to change it), PNY, Gigabyte, Asus, Inno3D and MSI.

Refrence design + good built = Gigabyte, Msi, Inno3d (asus ultras run hot, ive heard, due to one slot design)
AND
Refrence design + Good Built + Cheap = Inno3d... Good brand + u can figit wid it, change bios, mod it, etc... its totallly refrence design.. like made by nvidia, delivered to inno3d for marketing.. they just add a logo stiker on the HSF Fan.
i recommend inno3d coz i used its ti4200, my friend is using its 5700Ultra ddr3, n couple of guyz usin 5200's n mx440's wid no problems at all.

ITS UPTO YA...

john19055
10-27-04, 02:03 PM
I am sure all the top brands are good and most of the no name brands are good too when most of them are made from the refrence boards designs,I like the EVGA 6800 ultra myself it overclocks great and tempertures dont get to hot and has good support on there web site fourms.But I guess if I had bought another brand I would be just as happy,but some brands do have crappy support.

bkswaney
10-27-04, 02:50 PM
I hate it when people don't read. He doesn't have access to BFG cards, folks (a fact that wasn't made known until after several of us gave our suggestions).

Of the brands available, I would say to go for either MSI or Gigabyte. I would avoid Asus at all costs because their products are generally poor considering their major price premium over the competition. Yes, MSI is expensive as well, but their products are of good quality.

I agree with the Asus statement for sure.
I'll never buy a Asus video card again.
I had a Asus 5900U and did not like it one bit.
Sold it 2 months after I got it and got a 9800Pro-256. ;)

zoth
10-27-04, 06:09 PM
BFG!!!! :clap:

Subtestube
10-27-04, 06:18 PM
Dunno when you're planning on buying, but it might be worth e-mailing Gigabyte to find out if they're going to release an "H" class 6800 Ultra (My card is a GV-N68128DH, the standard GT is a GV-N68T256D, and the new Gigabyte GT (which has a supercool heatsink) is a GV-N68T256DH). Basically, Gigabyte have an awesome new range of heat pipe based heatsinks... Who knows, they may release an Ultra with one. The GT that has one only came out a few months after their ref design GTs did.

Antares
10-28-04, 06:30 AM
Thanks a lot guys, looks like it's either MSI or Gigabyte. I guess MSI could be obtained without too much headache, Gigabyte will take at least three weeks to deliver. I could also get ahold of PNY, but after all those bad thoughts about them I read all over the place, I'm not sure if I want to complicate my life.

I'd stay with the reference design since it would run cooler than custom HSFs... As I understand, while aluminium doesn't extracts heat as better as copper, it dissipates the heat more quickly (faster heat transfer) - maybe that's why the reference cooling design from nVidia manages better temps. As far as I read elsewhere, copper heatsinks require better airflow (bigger or faster fans) than aluminium in order to keep the gpu cooler - and here, one design comes to mind, Gainward 6800GT and Ultra - they use 2 fans with their copper heatsink, and it seems to me that Gainward cards run cooler than other cards, even if they're not a reference design.

Cheers!

serAph
10-28-04, 10:31 AM
pfft, you're all wrong - the best brand is the one that whatever store you're buying it from has in stock and can ship to you the quickest. ;)

All 6800's are reference, cept for that one strange 6800vanilla, and they all need the nv5.

Antares
10-28-04, 12:12 PM
Hey, I've found the MSI brand to be available next week. MSI NX6800 Ultra-T2D256... How's that? I'vee seen on a review on http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=315&pagenumber=1 that the memories seem to be 2.0 ns, there a closeup picture with the memory chips. This does not sound so good.

superklye
10-28-04, 12:26 PM
BFG or eVGA

TeaEtchSee
10-28-04, 01:39 PM
they are all the same....just get the cheapest price and NV5 that mofo!...well for the GT of course

Clevor
10-28-04, 08:49 PM
It's been said before: all the cards are pretty much reference cards. Asus used to make their own cards, which overclocked very well, but not in this case.

All the Asus cards I've had overclocked like Hell and had no issues. Same here with my Asus 6800 Ultra (non-deluxe). Check the game bundle on these 6800 Ultra cards - do ya get anything ;)? Same with all these X800XT OEMs floating around, some for $600.

At least the Asus Ultra has a decent game bundle: GunMetal, Battle Engine Aquila, Deus Ex Invisible War, plus the usual plethora of video editing software. I never got around to buying Deus ExII or GunMetal (had to download their benchmark over the web), so the bundle was much appreciated.

And I got my card for $519 from Newegg. See if you can get an Ultra in stock for cheaper. Card overclocks to 459/1.18 and no freeze issues in any board I tried so far. 3-year warrantee, but Asus is not going to go away soon. No complaints here.