PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia freezing - post your card/mobo combination. Call of Duty preferred...

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 11:28 AM
i have pulled my hair out trying to figure out why freakin' Call of Duty freezes on my system yet others can play it flawlessly. i played completely through tron 2.0, painkiller, far cry, and doom 3 with 0 lockups. throw in call of duty (all patch levels) and it will freeze every now and then. i can sometimes play for an hour before it happens. sometimes it takes 5 minutes. sometimes it'll freeze for about 20 seconds and then reboot my computer.

so...if your nvidia card freezes in games (or 3dmark), or call of duty specifically - post your card/mobo combination along with what freezes. i'll go first...

card: evga 6800 Ultra 256MB
mobo: Intel D875PBZ
app(s): Call of Duty

Decimator
10-26-04, 11:46 AM
If it's specific to that game it might be worth checking out COD forums to see if there is a fix for it.

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 12:29 PM
i have scoured the internet, activision support, and other places. call of duty definately has a flaw in it (why else would my system be flawless through tron 2.0, painkiller, far cry, and doom 3). i'm trying to narrow down the cause of the problem. i've tried every single trick on the net and there doesn't seem to be concensus as to the source of all the freezing. thus the reason for this thread.

saturnotaku
10-26-04, 12:41 PM
Have you tried running your system with only 1 GB of memory? I had a P4 3.0c and the D875PBZ. I played the Dawnville Demo with my 6800 GT review sample without any problems. I only had 1 GB of RAM.

zoomy942
10-26-04, 12:52 PM
you could play with the sound settings too. i had tons of problems with all the eax setting.. only miles 2d audio would work

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 01:09 PM
do you still get true 5.1 sound with miles 2d audio?

zoomy942
10-26-04, 01:29 PM
do you still get true 5.1 sound with miles 2d audio?

\
nope

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 01:40 PM
isn't that sacraficing more than you should? this is no longer a cutting edge game. it shouldn't stress my system (and it doesn't). just will freeze after some random amount of time after having worked beautifully for possibly an hour or more.

zoomy942
10-26-04, 01:42 PM
isn't that sacraficing more than you should? this is no longer a cutting edge game. it shouldn't stress my system (and it doesn't). just will freeze after some random amount of time after having worked beautifully for possibly an hour or more.

i agree it sucks. and its probaly not your problem since it was fine from the start. with mince, with audigy, it would be nutty ffrom the getgo (which is why i took the audigy out... :banghead: )

Warden13
10-26-04, 01:51 PM
My brother had this same issue with an ATI card. We thought that it was an ATI issue but it seems as if it does have to do with COD and sound. He had to change his desktop to 800 x 600 and go into his audio settings and disable 3d acceleration.. essentially making it "basic" audio. This was the only way that he could get it to work.

Warden

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 02:30 PM
been there, tried that. the only thing that i haven't tried that activision recommends on their support site is something that i refuse to do to get a stupid game to work. they first recommend changing your desktop to 800x600x32 and changing sound hardware acceleration to basic. i'm fine with that (even though that's too much to ask to get their game to work). they next recommend that you shut down EVERY SINGLE process running except for explorer and systray. i think this is complete BS and a total cop-out. i refuse to do this every time i want to run CoD. granted, i don't have a ton of processes running anyway b/c i'm pretty anal about the config of my machine. i want it to be CLEAN. but disable EVERYTHING just so your stupid executable won't conflict with something else? i mean, come on. you can provide better support than that. what about anti-virus/firewall software? you want me to risk getting compromised just to play your game? time to put in a few more hours in the lab activision...

zoomy942
10-26-04, 02:32 PM
been there, tried that. the only thing that i haven't tried that activision recommends on their support site is something that i refuse to do to get a stupid game to work. they first recommend changing your desktop to 800x600x32 and changing sound hardware acceleration to basic. i'm fine with that (even though that's too much to ask to get their game to work). they next recommend that you shut down EVERY SINGLE process running except for explorer and systray. i think this is complete BS and a total cop-out. i refuse to do this every time i want to run CoD. granted, i don't have a ton of processes running anyway b/c i'm pretty anal about the config of my machine. i want it to be CLEAN. but disable EVERYTHING just so your stupid executable won't conflict with something else? i mean, come on. you can provide better support than that. what about anti-virus/firewall software? you want me to risk getting compromised just to play your game? time to put in a few more hours in the lab activision...

i agree with you. Evil Genius is the same way. they want me to sacrifice chickens and set goats in fore to make it work. and when they say anything about antivirus.. its a crock, cause i dont use any. (i've been diong pc stuff for 10 years and i have gotten 1 virus.. so antivirus isnt worth it for me personally)

Fatman
10-26-04, 02:35 PM
is your video clock synched?

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 02:41 PM
is your video clock synched?

i don't know. the card is exactly as it was when i bought it - i haven't OC'd it or changed anything. i'm using the 61.77 drivers.

late last night i changed one thing though. i installed (or enabled) coolbits and coolbits 2. i unchecked "fastwrites" on the AGP screen and rebooted. i'm not sure if this made a change or not but now the "fastwrites" option is unchecked even though it is still listed as "on" in the "optimal settings" grid above. not sure if that grid is telling me what is active or what would be optimal.

i played a bit of the dam level (no pun intended) where you walk along the top of the dam and destroy some anti-aircraft guns. played for about 15 minutes and didn't get a crash and had to go to bed. i'll test it more tonight but i HIGHLY doubt it made a difference and i fully expect a freeze/crash tonight.

back on topic of the quote - would having my clock synched be something that could screw up only 1 game? as i've stated before, i played beginning to end tron 2.0, painkiller, far cry, and doom 3 with 0 freezes/lockups. how this can be specific to CoD i have no idea.

Fatman
10-26-04, 03:20 PM
I was experiencing a number of problems until I set my clocks to 425 for both 2D mode and low/high 3D. Download RivaTuner and set your clocks to the same speed. Do a search on this forum in regards to locking clock rate, there are a few detailed threads with instructions. Good luck.

Sc0rp10n
10-26-04, 03:35 PM
if i sync the clock speeds, is this a change that is persistent across system reformats? i.e., does this make a bios change on the card itself?

SigmaOrionis
10-26-04, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure its just in software.

Fatman
10-26-04, 07:28 PM
It does not work if your format. It's a driver level tweak. Even when you install new drivers, you gotta go back and reset it. There is a bios mod a vailable, use the search function.

circuitbreaker8
10-26-04, 07:30 PM
I donno if this counts, but when i was playing NFS:UG the game kept crashing to my desktop. Very anoying....same thing happens in CS:S

Sc0rp10n
10-27-04, 08:19 PM
i think i have disabled fastwrites. i unchecked it on the AGP tab of coolbits 2 and it remained unchecked through reboots. after that i was able to play through 2 levels completely without any crashes. i'm not 100% convinced it's fixed yet though b/c i only played for about 30 minutes. i think this might have fixed it though. gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Mithan
10-28-04, 01:18 AM
Turn your motherboard down to AGP 4x speed and it will probably fix the problem.