PDA

View Full Version : FIXED 2d performance with 6800 series

kre62
10-27-04, 03:42 AM
As many know, the 6800 series has come under fire for slow 2d performance. I think I may have fixed this problem, at least definitely on my rig the 2d is much faster. It has to do with nView and its hardware acceleration mode. Heres what I did:

-Open Driver advanced control panel
-Click Desktop Management
-Click Display Wizard
-Click Next, then Custom Settings
-It will probably be on nview span/clone mode this is not the mode we want (for us single display users anyway). Click Single display mode, then next.
-Select monitor as display
-Hit Next, then finish, screen will flicker

If you've done it right, you should be able to go to the global driver profile, and in the advanced options see that under Hardware Acceleration it will say Single-Display mode. I found that after I click OK the screen flickers again and it asks if I want to keep these settings. For me that was the drivers trying to go back to span mode so I hit NO, then OK, then went back in to the profiles and it was still in single display mode. I then immediately noticed much improved performance in 2d. Let me know if this works for you.

AMD Athlon 3500+
PNY 6800GT 256MB DDR
2GB Corsair PC3200
Asus A8V Deluxe
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech MX-1000 and Nostromo N52

bkswaney
10-27-04, 05:06 AM
I've not had any problem with 2d on mine. Runs d@mn fast.

When I just looked in the CP mine is listed as single now.
But I've never done what u stated. All I've ever
done is just load my drivers. "lol"

Glad to hear u got yours fixed though. :)

Decimator
10-27-04, 09:33 AM
Probably depends on the driver version.

ragejg
10-27-04, 10:09 AM
benchies have shown the performace curve per generation to have actually gone down in the newest generation in 2d performance... IIRC the 2d performance of 6xxx is actually lower than GF4 series...