PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 6800 acceleration works

Danhill
10-27-04, 08:33 AM
wtf.....does it work or not???

http://theinquirer.net/?article=19314

serAph
10-27-04, 08:40 AM
it's worked for weeks now. i dont know who was smoking what when the "it doesnt work" thread was started - well, assuming its no more than a few weeks old...

theslug
10-27-04, 08:53 AM
It does not work just yet, but if this is true, the driver will help things. Have you all tried running the 1080 version of the step into liquid trailer?

johnny_uk
10-27-04, 09:00 AM
Erm it actually says that the mpeg 2 decode works which we knew but wmv is only on the 6600.
Quote "GeForce 6600 models have the same 1st generation programmable video technology support as the GeForce 6800 models. However, the GeForce 6600 models also include hardware acceleration for high-definition Windows Media Video (WMV) decode."
So its not really the answer to what everyone was upset about.

arise
10-27-04, 09:01 AM
i ran the 1080i trailer and got around 40-60% utilization with forceware 65.73...HT was enabled as it always is. I see no point in disabling it.

msxyz
10-27-04, 09:55 AM
It seems that enabling HT makes Window report system usage lower than the real (though HT is a technology meant to boost P4 performance)

This is not the point. The programmable video processor is a 20 million transistors behemot which is supposed to something more than accelerating mpeg 2 streams. (something even a Savage4 or Rage 128 could do pretty well with their IDCT/Motion Compensation/Color space conversion features).

Any test with a 6800 and a high definition .WMV file shows that the decoding process is entirely handled (or most of) by the CPU.

Omega53
10-27-04, 09:59 AM
The ForceWare driver will be available shortly on the NVIDIA.com and the NVIDIA's DVD decoder is already available for download from NVIDIA.com.

:drooling:

Chippy
10-27-04, 10:09 AM
The ForceWare driver will be available shortly on the NVIDIA.com and the NVIDIA's DVD decoder is already available for download from NVIDIA.com. :drooling:

This means nothing. In the same breath they said that 6600's have WMV hardware decoding and (implicitly) 6800 DOES NOT.

A new driver and DVD decoder is not by magic going to enable a piece of hardware that is itself either absent or not working. If its broken, its broken!

What use is a new driver if the hardware doesn't work?

Chip

boro
10-27-04, 10:44 AM
The ForceWare driver will be available shortly on the NVIDIA.com and the NVIDIA's DVD decoder is already available for download from NVIDIA.com.

It's available for buying (20$) :lame:

|MaguS|
10-27-04, 10:49 AM
It works, you just need to purchase MORE to use the feature thats included on your Graphics Card... Fing BS!

Anyone wana trade me my GT+$ for an x800XT-PE? :o

TISaint
10-27-04, 11:55 AM
Erm it actually says that the mpeg 2 decode works which we knew but wmv is only on the 6600.
Quote "GeForce 6600 models have the same 1st generation programmable video technology support as the GeForce 6800 models. However, the GeForce 6600 models also include hardware acceleration for high-definition Windows Media Video (WMV) decode."
So its not really the answer to what everyone was upset about.

Seriously, who needs mpeg2 decoding nowadays. If your computer is good enough to use a 6800 you can play dvds just fine. WMV9 on the other hand is alot more demanding.

Omega53
10-27-04, 12:16 PM
Actually the NVDVD decoder came with my Evga 6800GT along with Farcry :D

|MaguS|
10-27-04, 12:20 PM
NVDVD and Nvidia DVD Decoder are two different products. One is a DVD Player while the other is a Codec of sorts.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.58.html

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd.html

Nvidia DVD Decoder is what you need to take advantage of the VPU...

SigmaOrionis
10-27-04, 03:12 PM
This is freakin BS. Whats next I gotta pay for the next forceware drivers. Or maybe they'll charge me for the drivers that finally fix the shimmering.

They advertised this as a feature now there gonna charge me more money to use it.

This purchase is rapidly turning into a huge mistake.

Chippy
10-27-04, 05:22 PM
Jeez some of you guys are slow. (Not mentioning any names.) Its the same on the other thread discussing this topic.

Let me say again, nVidia could not be more clear about the situation. They are saying that the video processor is working on 6800 and 6600, and that it will do hardware decode of mpeg2. Additionally, on 6600, it will hardware decode WMV. Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that what this means is hardware decoding of WMV in not available on 6800. Read it and weep.

All this talk about whether I need this new driver or that new driver or this codec or that codec is irrelevant. nVidia are saying the hardware is Fubar.

Chip

ChrisRay
10-27-04, 05:37 PM
I am surprised people still havent figured out that it does work for mpeg based codecs,(Divx, DVD, HDTV) But wmv is not functioning as planned.

SigmaOrionis
10-27-04, 06:21 PM
Does the hardware decoding work under PowerDVD or do you have to use NVs player-decoder? In the past I've always just used software decoding.

911medic
10-27-04, 10:12 PM
I am surprised people still havent figured out that it does work for mpeg based codecs,(Divx, DVD, HDTV) But wmv is not functioning as planned.Does, or will? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do we know it's currently working for mpeg-based codecs? Does the driver matter?
Edited for clarification.

BB_One
10-27-04, 10:44 PM
It's broken, won't be fix with a driver update and nv40 GPU AGP or PCI-e nv45 GPU are busted, and users are SOL!

The GeForce 6800's video processor is broken (http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535)

MUYA
10-27-04, 11:52 PM
hmm you guys buy a geForce 6800 series etc for what watching WMVs only?

Other codecs work don't they? lets all throw our rattles out of our prams why not?

Anymore pouting or sulking posts will get deleted from now on.

discuss Video processor functionailty and nothing else.