PDA

View Full Version : Shimmering in Painkiller and BF1942 Revisited

SigmaOrionis
10-28-04, 02:48 AM
OK Everyone,

After playing Painkiller and BF1942 on my two comps I've come to a conclusion about the differences between NV and ATI image quality in regards to shimmering.

Setup 1
P4 2.4b
512 MB
Radeon 9500Pro

Setup 2
A64 3000+
1 Gig
6800GT

Both systems using 4xAA 8xAF High Quality set in there respective CPs

I loaded up a saved game of the Opera House level, specifically the main theatre part.

Here is my conclusion:

Both cards look exactly the same along walls and columns. I mean exactly the same both standing still and in motion. I gotta admit this suprised me.

Where the difference is: THE FLOOR TEXTURES. Oh my god the NV card looks like crap.

Here is where it gets interesting. If I turn AF off on both cards and set Painkiller to Trilinear. Once again the only difference is the floor textures. The cards are much closer now of course but you can clearly see that the NV card becomes blurrier closer in then the ATI card.

So basically I think that NV is doing some kind of optimization on the floor textures to gain performance expecting most people dont notice the floor anyways. Well normally they would be right except if you play games that have sprawling areas of floor with very detailed textures.

In away this has given me hope because now I am almost positive that this is a driver issue. Where before I wasnt.

I'm hoping for a checkbox that will take this nastiness away. I dont care if it cost me 20%. And for those people that it doesnt bother them they could just keep happily running with this optimization and enjoy the extra performance it gives. Then everyone could be happy.

particleman
10-28-04, 09:42 AM
I find it hard to believe anyone including nVidia would mess up IQ to this extent on purpose. I think it's a bug, I just hope it's not a hardware bug. I didn't think it was a hardware bug, but as month after month passes with no 'real' fix who knows. With this and the broken video processor, the 6800 just doesn't feel as polished as past nVidia products I have used, it's almost like it was rushed out the door.

I agree that if it is a driver problem or optimization they should give us a checkbox to disable it regardless of the performance hit if there is any.

Drax
10-28-04, 12:52 PM
Did you have image quality set at High Quality? Coincidently I did my own analyzation of the different optimization settings on that same level some time back, and having optimizations off in that level helped the look of the floor drasticly. How it compares to an ATI, I don't know. Just saying the floor did indeed look crapy with AF optimizations on and a little bit crapy with trilinear optimizations on.

SigmaOrionis
10-28-04, 02:21 PM
Yes I had control panel set to High Quality.