PDA

View Full Version : HTT and overclocking

Bill The Cat
10-28-04, 03:24 PM
I just switched over to a S939 3000+ after years with Intel systems and I'm trying to overclock it.

I want to get the maximum out of my processor, and keep the memory rated to DDR400. In my old systems it was easy, I just set the divider to the appropiate ratio, the memory didn't know the difference, and life was good.

With my new processor however, things are different. It's in a Shuttle FN95G5 case, and nowhere in the newly flashed BIOS do I see a memory divider. What I do see, and what I think (?) does the equivalent is the HTT, but I don't know how it works at all. For instance, If I set the HTT to 2x will the memory run at 400 mhz? Will this affect the speed of the processor? Am I on the right track here, or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Also, what exactly is the hypertransport bus. I can't seem to find any relevant articles on the topic. Any help would be appreciated.

Riptide
10-28-04, 03:43 PM
You can set your RAM divider elsewhere. There will probably be a place in the BIOS to set the RAM for 400/333/166, etc.. It might help to know which motherboard you have.

Your HTT is separate and I'd put it at 4x unless you push your FSB/HTT over 250 in which case you'll want to set 3x.

Do a search on google for something like "HTT explanation" and see what comes up. I'm sure you can find something which will give a thorough explanation.

Bill The Cat
10-28-04, 03:51 PM
You can set your RAM divider elsewhere. There will probably be a place in the BIOS to set the RAM for 400/333/166, etc.. It might help to know which motherboard you have.

Actually, I don't see one. I've gone over it several times. It's an Award BIOS, which normally have such things.

There is a setting for the "Max Memclock," But the settings are "Auto; 100; 133; 166." This seems kind of odd. It's a Shuttle motherboard (SFF). Having never worked with them before, it seems like Shuttle played with the BIOS quite a bit, deviating from the usual Award BIOS format.

*Boggle*

|JuiceZ|
10-28-04, 04:16 PM
HTT is your hypertransport frequency & for stability sake, you never want to run it too much over 1Ghz on NF3 chipsets.

Formula:

FSB x HT = HyperTransport speed. (e.g. - 250 x 4 = 1000Mhz)

That why its recommended you run at 4x & lower multiplier when trying to achieve your max o'c.

btw, update your sig :p

saturnotaku
10-28-04, 04:30 PM
I have my HTT running at 1090 MHz (218x5) and it's been stable so far. :p

Back to the original poster, I'm not sure if the machine in question has the option you're looking for. My K8N Neo2 has Auto/200/166/133 options for memory speed. I don't understand why your Shuttle wouldn't have it, though they're probably going on the assumption that not a lot of people going SFF would engage in overclocking. At this point, I'm thinking a BIOS update would be the only way you'll get such an adjustment. Otherwise, you may be stuck. :(

Riptide
10-28-04, 04:49 PM
Max memclock is the RAM divider. That is what you're looking for. Set it to 166 and you're setting DDR333/PC2700. Set it to 200 and you're @ DDR400/PC3200.

Dazz
10-28-04, 05:20 PM
Doesn't work it's a devider not a fixed speed. My A64 runs 9x275 (166MHz) = 2.47GHz (225MHz memory clock) HTT @ 3x (or 825/1650MHz)