PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive advice needed for my new PC. (FX-55 Retail)

CriPPleR_HD
10-29-04, 01:13 AM
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/4181c2abz64c9d151/1e87/__sr_/1010.jpg?pha4cgBBpp5sp.Zi

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/4181c2abz64c9d151/1e87/__sr_/4045.jpg?ph04cgBBi.HwDtHb

Hi guys, I just recived the last components I needed to build my new PC. I received the processor yesterday and was waiting for the RAM and power supply which came today.

I build many PC's but I've never built one using SATA nor had I ever used any RAID set ups. My question is what will be the best way to hook up my hard drives?

A: Raid 0.
B: Normal Master/Slave set up.
C: Use my old Maxtor ATA 160 gig harddrive as a boot drive and have the 2 raptors on raid 0.

Yummy PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor Socket 939 - Retail
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 Ultra Athlon 64(FX) Skt939
2x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
OCZ PowerStream 520W Power Supply
SilverStone Temjin TJ-05-BT Case
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Gigaworks S750
NEC Multisync FE2111SB

I ordered an ATI Radeon X800 XT PE but I am still on the waiting list so I don't know how long it will be before I get it. I will be using my BFG Geforce 6800 Ultra OC untill the ATI ships. I still don't know which one I will use in the new PC. Once I have both the X800 and the 6800U I can benchmark for my self to see which one is best for the games I play.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-CriPPleR

MUYA
10-29-04, 01:25 AM
I dunno C looks the best bet...for with Rai0 u can get corruption (minute chance) and then have nothing working and u have to rebulid everything from scratch

b would be well average....

c: will give boost in loading levels etc for games (if u put them in that array) and keeps windows safe with no raid 0.

GlowStick
10-29-04, 02:04 AM
First of all Great Specs on that PC!

Next thing, about Raid 0, as many sites are trying to preach, it dose not improve preformance unelss you are editing very large movie files (at least 4 gigs). However it is still the popular thing to do.

I would personly just use the 2 raptors in RAID 0 so you can have one large disk, i dont much care for haveing multiple drives in windows.

CriPPleR_HD
10-29-04, 02:16 AM
Thanks GlowStick and MUYA,

Another question.

If I have my 2 74 gig hard drive's in RAID 0 will my storage be 74gigs or 148gigs?

Thanks again!

einstein_314
10-29-04, 03:04 AM
Thanks GlowStick and MUYA,

Another question.

If I have my 2 74 gig hard drive's in RAID 0 will my storage be 74gigs or 148gigs?

Thanks again!

It will be 148 gigs. I love my raid 0. hasn't crashed on me yet. But if you're concered about one of them crashing, go with c.

Bill The Cat
10-29-04, 10:23 AM
I (And others) have had trouble trying to hook up SATA and IDE HD's on the same system. So if you pick "C" and it can't find the boot drive, you may have to revert to another option.

Hopefully it'll work though.

saturnotaku
10-29-04, 10:35 AM
Most BIOS' will allow you to set your boot priority so having a parallel ATA drive as your primary might work for you.

However, I would recemmend that you make the 2 Raptors RAID-0 and use them as your boot drive and for installing games. Then use the parallel ATA drive as your backup for important files, documents, etc. Do not put any critical documents or important files on your RAID array. If one of your drives fails, you're screwed.

I've personally decided against using RAID-0 because it's given me nothing but problems in the past. I like having my one 80 GB drive for Windows and installed apps/games and the other for backup. I feel much more secure that way.

|JuiceZ|
10-29-04, 01:11 PM
First off, great job on the system man, it should be one the fastest around :thumbsup:

Second, keep in mind guys that a RAID 0 config with Raptors doesn't necessarily guarantee better performance, in fact it could be slightly slower than just one drive, as evident in Anand's Article (http://http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2101). Also, if you plan on o'cing, nf3 boards can still be somewhat finicky when it comes to o'cing while using raid & can also cause data corruption.

redoulent
10-29-04, 02:18 PM
You want those raptor's as the boot drive! They will really show off the power of that system. I use RAID 0 36GB raptor's, and they are sweet. I wait for nothing!!!!

Ninjaman09
10-29-04, 03:39 PM
I hate you. Your system is so awesome. ARG.

CriPPleR_HD
10-29-04, 09:55 PM
I am having problems trying to get my hard drives to format in RAID 0. I install both nvidia drivers just fine but when I hit format it hangs at 0%. Anyone else ever had this problem?