PDA

View Full Version : Abit AV8 + A64 3500+ (Winchester) problem

ralinn
10-29-04, 05:17 AM
Hi guys, Wonder if you can help me with this problem. I've just spent alot of on a new motherboard and CPU and the bugger won't boot :(

I've hooked everything up fine (Even tried another 4 times from the beginning and no joy), The motherboard, CPU, PSU (460W) GFX card (BFG 6800U) and 2 HDD's. When I start the PC, it starts then after about 15 seconds it starts constantly beeping like mad. Everything is hooked up fine so I tried looking about the interweb for problems with my motherboard and CPU.

I found out that my motherboard BIOS doesn't actually support the Winchester Athlon 64s :( I have to update the BIOS to above version 15. How am I supposed to do this when I can't even boot the PC?? :retard:

I have tried starting the PC with one stick of RAM in slot 3 (tip from Overclockers. They said it starts some PC's with the same problem). No idea what to do, anyone got any ideas? I've spent out alot on this upgrade and need to do everything possible :|

Thanks alot for any help :)

Russ

saturnotaku
10-29-04, 06:11 AM
If the CPU is not supported, you really don't have any options left except to return the motherboard. If you bought them from the same place, claim that the store told you both parts would be compatible when in fact they are not. Demand an exchange for a board that does indeed work or make them flash the BIOS to the appropriate one for you at no charge.

Riptide
10-29-04, 09:16 AM
Unless you know someone with a .13 CPU who can bring it over and help you out then do as saturnotaku said. You're pretty much screwed...

ralinn
10-29-04, 10:09 AM
Aye :(

Looks like I'm gonna have to make a trip around to my local PC store in the morning. Hopefully they will know what I'm going on about and may be able to help :)

Would still like to avoid it, wish there was a way of starting the PC up :(

saturnotaku
10-29-04, 10:15 AM
This is kind of an odd problem because a lot of people bought mobile Athlon XP processors for their Socket 462 machines. They would post with "unknown CPU" but they would still work.

Good luck, hope it works out for 'ya. :)

Bill The Cat
10-29-04, 10:20 AM
This is kind of an odd problem because a lot of people bought mobile Athlon XP processors for their Socket 462 machines. They would post with "unknown CPU" but they would still work.

Good luck, hope it works out for 'ya. :)

Aye. The only difference on the Winchesters is 0.1 V. It should boot up, give you the unknown CPU code, and let you use it (Albeit a bit overvolted).

Go to a Kinkos or library and download that BIOS.

Good luck.

ralinn
11-05-04, 07:28 PM
Well, I've had to send the mobo back to Overclcokers so they can flash it for me. Hopefully all goes well and I get it back next week... :|

Thanks for the replies guys :)