PDA

View Full Version : Is Nvidia Soundstorm dead forever?

|JuiceZ|
10-29-04, 02:44 PM
Say it ain't so? :(

"SoundStorm is dead," said Bryan Del Rizzo. When pushed further Bryan simply stated that the entire concept of SoundStorm was incredibly unattractive to motherboard manufacturers, and since their non-SoundStorm based nForce products where never criticized in reviews for the lack of that functionality, they thought that it was a superfluous feature that only added cost to a design. Nevermind that the Asus A7N8X Deluxe or the Abit NF7-S were great sellers, or that the enthusiast backing of SoundStorm was bordering on rabid, the manufacturers did not find it a compelling feature as compared to the less expensive VIA chipsets that did not contain such functionality. In light of this, I find that I do not believe Drew and his comments about "SoundStorm will be integrated into a future product". My personal belief, and this is not based on any other information that I have, is that the SoundStorm engineers have been moved to other projects and we will not see another SoundStorm product based on the technology we currently see in the nForce 2 chipset. This does not mean that future NVIDIA chipsets will not feature more advanced audio functionality than what is currently available, as I am certain Azalia will eventually come to the Athlon 64 market. What I am saying is that SoundStorm as we know it is essentially gone and will never be seen again.

Taken from here (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=1426309&enterthread=y).

CaptNKILL
10-29-04, 02:48 PM
:(:(:(:(

Wish they would just stick the thing on a card and sell it seperately. Id buy one.