PDA

View Full Version : Damnit, they stole my idea...but I guess that's not a bad thing: JP mod for Farcry!

Edge
10-30-04, 03:26 AM
OK, it wasn't exactly an overly original idea to begin with, but if nothing else at least this means it has a chance of getting done :p :
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_jurassicpark_fc.html
www.jpmod.com

Basically, a Jurrasic Park mod for Farcry which (of course) means you'll be traveling through the island of Jurrasic Park (or Site B?) battling dinosaurs. Personally I'm very excited for this: for the longest time I've been looking for a good FPS that has you battling velociraptors and T-rexes, and now it looks like it's actually being made! So far it looks pretty cool, although it certanly is a lot different from my idea of a Trespasser update, it looks more standard for an FPS game rather than one with a reliance on physics and immersiveness (from what little has been shown of it).

I'm actually considering filling in the animator possition they have, even though I have no idea what program is used to animate in Farcry and there may be a language barrior (since it seems the mod is entirely German based). Not to mention I'd prefer to just start my idea of a Trespasser update rather than join a different mod on it (and more mods never hurts a game :) ). I just hope they don't get shut down...will the Jurrasic Park lisence holders allow a mod to be done when there are still Jurassic Park games being made?

jAkUp
10-30-04, 03:31 AM
awww... this bring backs memories of trespasser :) well, if done right this can be an amazing mod

Arioch
10-30-04, 03:38 AM
Both me and my best friend both noted that the Far Cry engine would be an excellent base for a Trespasser remake the first time we played it.

Hopefully the project turns out well.

K007
10-30-04, 05:39 AM
It looks like crap to me...

hithere
10-31-04, 09:04 PM
It looks like crap to me...

...a thread crap, that is....
:)

ajay()
11-01-04, 04:43 AM
I'll be really surprised if they'll be allowed to keep all the JP imagery and references in it, they'll probably be getting a remove or else mail soon.

I wonder if the xisle dino models could be used?

Having said that, I hope it works out great for them

nVidiaGuru
11-01-04, 07:14 PM
if done right the cryengine would be the perfect engine for a JP game, after watching that video even farcry has a JP feel to it as far as the environment

superklye
11-01-04, 07:32 PM
The T-Rex model looks...terrible.

Edge
11-01-04, 08:20 PM
I donno, I thought the model looked OK, the texturing is just off (you're refering to the pic on the front page, right?). If they can make a realistic looking T-rex in the Trespasser engine, I'm sure it wouldn't take much work to make it look good in Farcry!

superklye
11-01-04, 08:56 PM
I donno, I thought the model looked OK, the texturing is just off (you're refering to the pic on the front page, right?). If they can make a realistic looking T-rex in the Trespasser engine, I'm sure it wouldn't take much work to make it look good in Farcry!
Yeah, I would hope so...the head model of the T-Rex is just atrocious. They should watch Jurassic Park and get it down.