PDA

View Full Version : Considering a GeForce 4

Ryo-Ohki
11-13-02, 02:59 AM
Well, that is about it I guess - while I'm very satisfied in Windows with all the ATI cards I've had by now, I've ALSO grown fed up with ATI's lack of official support for Linux and am considering a GeForce 4 to fill in the gap. I've got an odd assortment of hardware remaining on my hands from various upgrades and looking for a mid-range graphic board.

The core of the system will be a P!!! Coppermine @ 800 MHz on an ASUS TUSL2-C w/ 384 MB of PC-133.

I won't touch the evil MX series, so I was considering an MSI GeForce 4 TI 4200 on top of that. I understand it might be limited by the CPU, but that's probably the best price/performance/features deal I can get as of today.

Since I know next to nothing to GF's, can you tell me if that's a good board to get (performance & stability/reliability-wise?).

thcdru2k
11-13-02, 09:14 AM
they're all equally stable and reliable because they all use the same drivers. performance/price wise a gf4 ti4200 128mb, pr gf4 ti4400 does the job.

saturnotaku
11-13-02, 09:56 AM
If you're not going to be doing a whole lot of gaming in Linux, I would highly suggest a GF3 Ti200. You can typically find those cards for less than $80.

If that's not an option for you, then the Ti4200 will do very nicely.

Tactics
11-13-02, 04:15 PM
I been looking into a lot of the GF4 Ti 4200's and by far this card ALBATRON GeForce 4 TI4200P TURBO over at newegg and posted here 2 weeks ago is the best buy out there. Look into this if you want a GF4 card but yes your CPU will hinder it a lot so who know's if it's even worth it.

Chalnoth
11-13-02, 05:37 PM
Well, the CPU won't hinder it that much. Only a few newer games will have problems (UT2K3, Morrowind especially). Such a slow CPU might be more of a problem for the Radeon 9700 right now (I'd like to find this out for myself, btw...), due to the early drivers, and benchmarks posted on a few different sites.

Regardless, installing a new graphics card means higher resolutions/more graphics details. Installing a new CPU means higher framerates.

Personally, though my current CPU is only 933MHz (Overclocked Athlon, 266MHz bus), I'm going to try my best to wait until one of the Hammer processors from AMD is available. I suppose I could do a quick upgrade to one of the newer Athlons around 2000+ or so, by just purchasing the CPU, but I really want an x86-64 processor due to the potential for improved 64-bit floating-point performance... (not games, btw...), among other things.

StealthHawk
11-13-02, 08:59 PM
given your slow CPU speed, a GF4Ti4200 would probably be a better bargain than a Ti4400.

either card would certainly be constrained by a 800MHz CPU and would have ample headroom to grow in performance.

Chalnoth
11-13-02, 10:46 PM
Not in the least, Stealthhawk. On either card, you could most definitely find a resolution that would max the card out.

Most of the time, the CPU and the video card stress completely different parts of the system, so you can upgrade them separately without much problem.

But, I think the Ti 4200 is a better deal anyway, since there isn't much less performance to offer than with a Ti 4400.

NV30 Desirer
11-14-02, 01:25 AM
Go with the GF4 because it's priced very low right now.

StealthHawk
11-14-02, 01:28 AM
as a general rule of thumb, i would say that most games are CPU limited, and most people would use settings/resolutions with a GF4 where the card itself probably wouldn't be the limiting factor if they were casual gamers who only wanted casual performance.

maybe not a good assumption to make, but then no specifics were given.

Ryo-Ohki
11-14-02, 03:55 AM
Thank you for all of your replies. A GF4 Ti4200 shall it be then. :)

Ryoko
11-14-02, 04:39 PM
if you overclock the ti4200, it'd be a ti4400 anyway... and btw, fsaa and anisotropic filtering will not give you a noticeable performance hit if the comp is cpu limited, and it will max out the card if you set it for 100% quality...

DBY
11-15-02, 07:37 AM
Ditch the G4 idea and go with the ATI radeon 9500 or 9700, kicks the G4 a** all over the place!!!!

G4 card is good, but for playing games with everything enabled, go with the pro!!!

DBY

Uttar
11-15-02, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by DBY
Ditch the G4 idea and go with the ATI radeon 9500 or 9700, kicks the G4 a** all over the place!!!!

G4 card is good, but for playing games with everything enabled, go with the pro!!!

DBY

Ryo-Okhi said specifically he doesn't want an ATI card because he wants good Linux support. And ATI certainly doesn't offer that.
Please read before posting :)

Uttar

Ryo-Ohki
11-15-02, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
Ryo-Okhi said specifically he doesn't want an ATI card because he wants good Linux support. And ATI certainly doesn't offer that.
Please read before posting :)

Uttar

Thank you Uttar. :)

Besides, I think it would definitely be a SERIOUS waste of money to team a Radeon 9700 with a 800MHz CPU and PC-133. And again, as a Windows user, I'm fully statisfied with ATI (I was like :eek: when I got my Raddy 8500)... But they just should pull their head out of the water. Penguins like 3D too.

Anyway, I just came back home with the card and am going to rebuild the machine right away. Codename "Tsunami", just for giggles. And it's not the MSI I wanted, I had to go for the Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB for budget constraints. Hope it's okay.

I'll let you know how everything goes... :)

saturnotaku
11-15-02, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ryo-Okhi
Codename "Tsunami", just for giggles.

LOL, a man after my own heart. :)

Chaintech makes a good product. It should suit you just fine. Enjoy gaming in Linux. :cool:

Ryo-Ohki
11-15-02, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
LOL, a man after my own heart. :)

What's the reference ? :)

Anyway, Tsunami is still half-finished with her exposed guts scattered all over my place (no disks or drives yet), but I've got a heartbeat. She officialy POSTed today, 2002/11/15, for the first time, at 9:34 PM.

And I've got a huge TaiSol (CGK760172 (http://www.taisol.com/cgk760172.html), XP 2200+ certified apparently) hovering over the tiny Coppermine, I wonder what the temps are going to be like... :)

Chaintech makes a good product.

Well, the embarked RAM is Samsung, which is a good point, and the goldish look of the heatsink is nice (didn't know until I unpacked the card), though it's prolly one of the less exposed part of the system... :D

saturnotaku
11-15-02, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Ryo-Okhi
What's the reference ?

Just givin' ya props on the anime/Tenchi thing. TM was the first anime I ever watched and well, it all kinda snowballed from there. But if we want to discuss it further, let's do that in OF. This isn't the place heh. :)