PDA

View Full Version : Dead Card or bad PSU?

Goatie
10-31-04, 06:12 AM
Hey all, I just put together the system at the end of this post, however When I turn on the monitor I get all these weird colored 'artifacts' (for lack of a better word) covering the screen, so that I can't see anything else. I'm thinking that only two things could lead to this, a bad graphics card, or not enough power (correct me if I'm wrong).

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2
Processor: AMD64 3200+
VGA: XFX 6800GT
Ram: 2 x 512 OCZ 3500

My power supply is a Thermaltake 410 pollo12 with 18 amps on the 12V.

From what I've read on the forums a 18 should be enough, which implies I've got a faulty card right?

All help appreciated.

monly
10-31-04, 06:14 AM
It wont be the power supply....thats for sure.

Goatie
10-31-04, 06:33 AM
So is there anything else it could be besides the graphics card? Or am I going to have to return it.

Decimator
10-31-04, 06:51 AM
You should get a beep from your graphics card if it's not getting enough power. I think if you're getting artifacts at boot, there is usually something wrong with the card as no drivers will have been loaded yet.

vasileiou
10-31-04, 08:46 AM
If you are getting artifacts it's a problem with the card and probably a HEAT problem

Do u have overclocked your card ???

rustywood
10-31-04, 03:52 PM
heed this i also was having artifacting problems ,i also have a thermaltake 480w psu ,i went through 3, 6800gt cards the first two were gainwards this last one is a evga,the gainwards were sent back because of "heating problems" except that my temps at full load were 58c also these problems got progressively worse the first card lasted 3 weeks the 2 last 3 days,but thats what the vendor and gainward said.on my third card instant problems change drivers, used driver cleaner then lost windows compleatly,so i gave up take it down to my pc shop here,s what they told me,my brand new power unit over a period of 3 weeks had crapped out,using a driver cleaner and maybe the psu going bad had corrupted my window files ,they repaired windows, reformatted my hardive {i didnt lose much}the power unit fooled everybody because it showed 12v on the 12v rail at the cpu at 100% also inbetween the 2nd and 3rd card iwas using a 5500oc,ed card and was having no problems with it,but once the 6800gt was installed, graphic corruption!.they used both an outside psu ,my mobo and another hdd PRESTO!! NO MORE GRAPHIC CORRUPTION! IT WORKED GREAT!thats why my hdd got reformatted and thats why im rmaing my psu and going to a ocz 470psu with 34a on the 12v rail. these cards are power hogs they draw 30% power from the 5v AND 60% from the 12v rail IMHO 18A IS NOT ENOUGH!and if you get an ultra whoooa they really soak up the power,so dont be fooled if it looks like a heat problem but your temps are normal, ITS THE PSU!! mine just didnt have the power even tho it should have. :drooling:

GlowStick
10-31-04, 03:56 PM
Honestly, id say its the card, however if you have a friend with a pc that you could pop it into (you dont even have to let windows boot) id do that to be sure.

rustywood
10-31-04, 04:01 PM
glow stick, thats what my pc shop did they put the 6800gt into their testbed system with a i think it was an enlite 350w psu the card worked great,thats when we started to track down the problem

Decimator
10-31-04, 04:34 PM
these cards are power hogs they draw 30% power from the 5v AND 60% from the 12v rail IMHO 18A IS NOT ENOUGH!and if you get an ultra whoooa they really soak up the power,so dont be fooled if it looks like a heat problem but your temps are normal, ITS THE PSU!! mine just didnt have the power even tho it should have. :drooling:

That's what I suspected, there was a leaflet with my Gainward GT that recommended that I buy a 480W PSU to run it with, so seeing as how the difference in price between a good 480W PSU and a 550W one is only about twelve English pounds, I decided to go for the 550W Antec, just to be on the safe side, I also have two optical drives and two hard drives in there, so there is quite a load on the 12V rail.

anzak
10-31-04, 05:31 PM
It's the card. When you get colored artifacts that is a sign that the card is defective or overheating. If it was a power issue your ccomputer would be restarting for no reason. FYI I have a Thremaltake 420w with 18a on the v12 line and ran an modded and overclocked GT for months.

rustywood
10-31-04, 06:16 PM
sorry anzak, in my case it WAS the power supply, didnt you read my post,my card would not work with either my hdd that had corrupted windows file,s or my psu .they tried my system with -my psu my v.c. outside testbed hdd didnt work,my system my v.c. outside testbed psu my hdd, didnt work,my system my v.c. outside testbed psu a 350wer and outside hdd POW!all graphic corruption gone!card worked great.i went thruogh two gainward 6800gt cards because of this, even when my temps were 58c at full load! everybody said HEAT PROBLEMS! YA KNOW WHAT, TWO CARDS IN A ROW BAD WITH HEAT PROBLEMS?dont think so, MY PSU WAS NOT DOING THE JOB.

theultimo
10-31-04, 09:01 PM
sorry anzak, in my case it WAS the power supply, didnt you read my post,my card would not work with either my hdd that had corrupted windows file,s or my psu .they tried my system with -my psu my v.c. outside testbed hdd didnt work,my system my v.c. outside testbed psu my hdd, didnt work,my system my v.c. outside testbed psu a 350wer and outside hdd POW!all graphic corruption gone!card worked great.i went thruogh two gainward 6800gt cards because of this, even when my temps were 58c at full load! everybody said HEAT PROBLEMS! YA KNOW WHAT, TWO CARDS IN A ROW BAD WITH HEAT PROBLEMS?dont think so, MY PSU WAS NOT DOING THE JOB.

He was just pointing out you're overclocking the card, so 18A might not be enough, and prob fried the PSU.

FiNiX
11-01-04, 04:07 AM
Hi guys,
i've bought Gainward GF6800GT GoldenSample (runs on 400/1100 by default) 5 days ago, everythin worked just fine (and more than that:)) until yesterday, when i have noticed weird colored artifacts while the game was loading (i'm playin IL2 and LockOn mostly) and some artefacts (not that many tho) while the game was running. Plus i've experienced gameplay slowdowns and strange frame drops. And, heck everything was great for 4 days :)
i've got AMD64 3200+, Epox 8KDA3+ 512Mb Enermax 350W (12V - 17A)
RMA? :-(

rustywood
11-01-04, 03:31 PM
power problem man, not enough amps on the12v,and as i told you,the golden samples run at ultra speeds which means more power,you might be burning up yer psu gainwards are MONSTER cards.

FiNiX
11-01-04, 06:03 PM
so sc*ew gainward... oh god, why didn't they have Leadtek on stock :-(

:-)

john19055
11-01-04, 08:39 PM
All I know is the 6800's love power the more the happier they are ,I bought a brand new Antec 430w TruePower I thought that would be plenty,but I had game lockups and games dropping to the desktop,and then I ordered a 470w OCZ powerstream and all my games ran perfect no more lockups or studdering or games dropping out to the desk top.I highly recomend if you are running a system with a 6800 look in to getting a high amp on the 12v line,at least 30amps IMO so you want run ito problems latter on and when you upgade more stuff in the future you will already have a great power supply.

kahloq
11-01-04, 09:56 PM
All I know is the 6800's love power the more the happier they are ,I bought a brand new Antec 430w TruePower I thought that would be plenty,but I had game lockups and games dropping to the desktop,and then I ordered a 470w OCZ powerstream and all my games ran perfect no more lockups or studdering or games dropping out to the desk top.I highly recomend if you are running a system with a 6800 look in to getting a high amp on the 12v line,at least 30amps IMO so you want run ito problems latter on and when you upgade more stuff in the future you will already have a great power supply.

This is the best advie in this thread. So many ppl are willing to immedietly blaim the vid card and overlook other basic items like the PSU. Just because a PSU's stats says its 18a or better on the +12, doesnt mean its actually performing that way. Faulty or low power output psu's can cause more problems then most ppl think.

PSYCHODAD
11-02-04, 02:08 AM
So far I've had good luck with my Thermaltake psu. I would be interested in seeing how much performance/overclock difference the beefier power supplies would make. Would more than 18a make a noticeable improvement with a system that is already stable?

rustywood
11-03-04, 03:34 PM
well i had a brand new thermaltake 480psu and went through 3 cards before it was clear it WAS my psu,i used and out side 420w enermax psu POW!no more graphic coruption,so i ordered a 520w ocz powerstream with plenty on the 5vand 12v rail!im sorry with some psu,s 18a is not enough.

PSYCHODAD
11-04-04, 03:05 AM
well i had a brand new thermaltake 480psu and went through 3 cards before it was clear it WAS my psu,i used and out side 420w enermax psu POW!no more graphic coruption,so i ordered a 520w ocz powerstream with plenty on the 5vand 12v rail!im sorry with some psu,s 18a is not enough.

Hmmm.....I may try a new psu myself just to see if there's a noticeable difference.