PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry stutters at beginning of a level

THE VIKING
10-31-04, 09:49 AM
I noticed that Far Cry tends to stutter when I'm starting a new level. It continues for about 20 seconds then tends to disappear until I load a new level. I have 1GB of PC-2700 RAM, but my CPU is on the slow side by today's standards. Is that giving me the problem? My HDD is a WD 7200 RPM with 8MB cache. It's a good drive, so I don't think there's a lot of swapping going on.

GO VIKINGS!!!!

AMC_Duke
10-31-04, 12:11 PM
I noticed that Far Cry tends to stutter when I'm starting a new level. It continues for about 20 seconds then tends to disappear until I load a new level. I have 1GB of PC-2700 RAM, but my CPU is on the slow side by today's standards. Is that giving me the problem? My HDD is a WD 7200 RPM with 8MB cache. It's a good drive, so I don't think there's a lot of swapping going on.

GO VIKINGS!!!!

I have the exact same problem i think its due the bad coding in the game

---------------
Athlon FX 53 939
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
1 GB Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5
Geforce 6800 Ultra @ 450/1200

Decimator
10-31-04, 12:45 PM
You find this with a lot of the newer games (Battlefield Vietnam being another example) because of the sheer amount of data that is being loaded into RAM, increasing the size and/or speed of your RAM will help. Another fix is to have a separate HDD for your pagefile (I have a SATA drive dedicated to this task) There are programs that monitor pagefile and RAM usage on a graph (eg Memokit) to give you an idea what is going on, alternatively you could check to see if the HDD light is blinking.

Ruined
10-31-04, 01:17 PM
roll back to 61.77, 66.81 has hitching problems with FarCry 1.3

J So
10-31-04, 01:44 PM
Ahh so it's driver issues.. I'm running 66.81 and I get the 20 second freeze myself. I've had the hitching problem when I first shoot in a level on my last pc with the 9600 Pro, when I upgraded to the 6800 and now with my new system with the A64 and the 6800.

I'll have to look around for the 61.77..

Slyder
10-31-04, 01:47 PM
Any game will stutter for the first few seconds as it is still loading into ram. I really wouldnt worry about this tbvh.

AMC_Duke
10-31-04, 02:32 PM
Any game will stutter for the first few seconds as it is still loading into ram. I really wouldnt worry about this tbvh.

I have this problem in Far cry only i think Doom 3 looks 2 times better then far cry and doom 3 has higher Hardware specs but in doom 3 such hitching dont apeer :/

A: Driver problem with far cry
B: Bad coding

=)

subbo
10-31-04, 03:00 PM
It's called precaching, or lack thereof.

If a game would precache EVERYTHING in the map it would make the load times even longer. So its a balance between precaching and loading most things but leaving some to load in the background while the user is already ingame.

In the case of BFV though most of the HDD access stuttering when you join a server (if you have 1GB of ram or more) is due to the Punkbuster client scanning your files.

Decimator
10-31-04, 03:23 PM
In the case of BFV though most of the HDD access stuttering when you join a server (if you have 1GB of ram or more) is due to the Punkbuster client scanning your files.

Ah that figures, I always manually update PB before I start playing.

theultimo
10-31-04, 03:29 PM
It's called precaching, or lack thereof.

If a game would precache EVERYTHING in the map it would make the load times even longer. So its a balance between precaching and loading most things but leaving some to load in the background while the user is already ingame.

Much Like UT99/03/04.

J So
10-31-04, 03:30 PM

This is usualy after you have been playing for a few seconds and then something new happens such as a Trigen jumping out at you. Then my pc will freeze for about 20 seconds with the sounds making an loud obnoxious repeating itself over and over again. Usualy when you come back I am dead or almost dead.

Decimator
10-31-04, 03:39 PM
This is usualy after you have been playing for a few seconds and then something new happens such as a Trigen jumping out at you. Then my pc will freeze for about 20 seconds with the sounds making an loud obnoxious repeating itself over and over again. Usualy when you come back I am dead or almost dead.

Freezing as bad as that could be due to bad RAM, the only way to be sure is to test it.

Ruined
10-31-04, 04:08 PM
fyi tho farcry 1.3 its a known problem that it stutters with 66.xx, driver or something. 61.77 works fine