PDA

View Full Version : non-sensical lockups with bfg 6800 gt

Pages : [1] 2

jpk1080
10-31-04, 10:56 AM
first off, i appreciate that forums like this exist. i have a bfg 6800 gt oc. works great for the most part, but i'm getting some weird lockups. i have it overclocked to standard ultra speeds and it will run fine in battlefield sometimes for hours, then it will lock up, and restart. other times once in the game, it will lock up in like half an hour. there seems to be like no set time or cause for these lockups. i ran 3dmark 05 all throughout the night wiht no problems (still running in the morning), so i have a slight reason for concern. any information that coudl help would be much appreciated. thanks.

intel p4 3.2e
abit icg-7 maxII
1 gig ram pc3200
increased voltage to 1.4, ram timings 3,8,4,4, overclocked psu 3.408

azanon
10-31-04, 11:40 AM
Condensed version:

Hi,

I have a 6800gt, and i overclocked to as high as an ultra card that costs 100 dollars more, and now i cant figure out why it isnt working right?

jpk1080
10-31-04, 11:44 AM
um. thanks for the suggestion, but what i said was necessary b/c the card is working correctly at ultra speeds. no lockups during a 24 hour run of 3dmark 05 suggest that. i only seem to have problems with it locking up in bfv, and its at spontaneous times throughout game play, sometimes not at all. instead of critiquing everyones posts, why don't you make yourself useful and actually try to answer some of these people's questions.

PikachuMan
10-31-04, 11:54 AM
Why do you think they don't put those cards at Ultra from the start?

Nothing is guaranteed in overclocking, run at stock and see if they still give those freezing.

circuitbreaker8
10-31-04, 12:12 PM
first off, i appreciate that forums like this exist. i have a bfg 6800 gt oc. works great for the most part, but i'm getting some weird lockups. i have it overclocked to standard ultra speeds and it will run fine in battlefield sometimes for hours, then it will lock up, and restart. other times once in the game, it will lock up in like half an hour. there seems to be like no set time or cause for these lockups. i ran 3dmark 05 all throughout the night wiht no problems (still running in the morning), so i have a slight reason for concern. any information that coudl help would be much appreciated. thanks.

intel p4 3.2e
abit icg-7 maxII
1 gig ram pc3200

Might be your cooling or psu.....my card is doing the exact same thing. I'm gonna get a NV5 and a OCZ powerstream 520...

jpk1080
10-31-04, 12:26 PM
really. yeah, i installed a nv5 as well thinking it could be a temp issue, but the card never gets above 65 even under heavy load. bfg suggested using some kind of monitoring program to see if hte voltages and power are staying constant, or cutting out at times. i know that nothing is guranteed with overclocking, but that was my question. these guys reply to stuff they dont' even read. i can run the overclocked ultra speeds fine. if you actually read my post, you'd see that wasn't the issue i was having. benchmarks were done in 3dmark 05 at those speeds all night. overclocking doesn't seem to be the issue here.

FlowmotioN
10-31-04, 09:21 PM

intel p4 3.2e
abit icg-7 maxII
1 gig ram pc3200

What kinds of drivers have you tried, in my experience drivers can sometimes influence the stability of an O\C with the BFG card. Also, I run 420\1150 at the moment without having upped the voltage, have you tried using the standard bios settings? You have of course tried turning the fastwrites on and off? Have you considered that the problem is something else, perhaps the CPU or RAM is the cause of your lockups increased ambient temperatures in your case could cause this.

I have noticed a strange lack of temperature variations when I run stock vs o\c. I really would have thought that a 50mhz core o\c would yield a dramatic increase in temps, but it hasn't affected amb or core temps at all. Have you noticed anything similar?

Condensed version:

Hi,

I have a 6800gt, and i overclocked to as high as an ultra card that costs 100 dollars more, and now i cant figure out why it isnt working right?
Why do you think they don't put those cards at Ultra from the start?

I wasn't gonna say anything and let this kinda thing slide yet again in the interest of not starting unneccesary flaming wars, but since I couldn't:

Seriously people this person is asking for help here in a forum very much dedicated to overclocking and you felt the best way to respond to this was to infer that he had dug his own grave and\or that he is dumb instead of actually reading and replying to his post. Wouldn't it have been better just to not post at all??? :lame:

Velk
10-31-04, 09:26 PM
i ran 3dmark 05 all throughout the night wiht no problems (still running in the morning), so i have a slight reason for concern. any information that coudl help would be much appreciated. thanks.

That certainly doesn't rule out overclocking as the source of your problems. Reverting it to stock speeds and seeing if the problems persist is sound advice, and a good starting point.

jpk1080
10-31-04, 09:46 PM
thanks for everyones reply. interesting how you're able to run such high clock speeds. whats funny, is that it seemed like i had no problem before when i ran at clocked speeds, but then applied as5. seems like ever since then, this problem has been an issue. i also installed the nv5, which has dropped temps a good bit, but i don't think this is a temp issue. bfg seems to suggest it could be an issue wiht bfv. i've heard others have had simliar problems but i'm not really positive of anything.

azanon
10-31-04, 11:36 PM
Seriously people this person is asking for help here in a forum very much dedicated to overclocking and you felt the best way to respond to this was to infer that he had dug his own grave and\or that he is dumb instead of actually reading and replying to his post. Wouldn't it have been better just to not post at all???

As I said once, jpk's initial post basically said, hey i'm overclocking this gt card to ultra levels, and now my video card is locking up. Help me.

I mean, come on, like duh.... try running the card at stock speeds for a while before you waste everyone's time. But I think you're right, the post was so lame, it didnt really dignify a response, or my time, so yeah maybe I shouldn't have posted.

What's with people expecting an overclock? The card is guaranteed at the speed it was sold for.

saturnotaku
10-31-04, 11:41 PM
thanks for everyones reply. interesting how you're able to run such high clock speeds. whats funny, is that it seemed like i had no problem before when i ran at clocked speeds, but then applied as5. seems like ever since then, this problem has been an issue. i also installed the nv5, which has dropped temps a good bit, but i don't think this is a temp issue. bfg seems to suggest it could be an issue wiht bfv. i've heard others have had simliar problems but i'm not really positive of anything.

Have you actually tried running the card at stock speeds to see if you can duplicate the problem? People here have been trying to point out a rather obvious potential cause for your issues, but you've been ignoring them. If you're going to stick your fingers in your ears because a possible solution is not what you wanted to hear, then I'm sorry, there's nothing more we can do for you.

Kojiro
11-01-04, 03:28 AM

intel p4 3.2e
abit icg-7 maxII
1 gig ram pc3200

First off there is no such word as non -sensical :rolleyes:

Over clocking is your problem. Did you know that some GT's, not all, were Ultra's that could NOT maintain it's clockspeed?

The problem is that, lock ups and glitches that occur with overclocking are not always consistant. It happens sometimes, Most of the time, or not at all.

If you have no problems at stock clockspeed, then there is nothing wrong with the videocard. That is to assume that you have not damaged it in the process of overclocking.

Just because other people have their GT's OCed to Ultra or beyond with no problem, does not nessesarily mean that all can.

Subtestube
11-01-04, 03:36 AM
As a slight addition: Temperature at higher clocks isn't the only cause of lockups and problems. I've seen a few reports of people running cards fairly cool that nevertheless suffer from being unable to run properly at high clocks.

Oh, and there IS such a word as nonsensical. Sure, it shouldn't be hyphenated, but the word does exist.

eightball
11-01-04, 04:19 AM

I have gainward 6800 LE and i have same problem. Battlefield makes screen go black and i have to reboot. I installed NV silecer 5 and temps dropped 20 decrees but lockups come faster with nv silecer. No matter if i enable or disable all pipes or do i OC or not. Could it be that NV silecer fan take too much current from card fan pin?

CaptNKILL
11-01-04, 04:31 AM
wow this is the most unorganized thread ive ever read :p

eightball
11-01-04, 04:49 AM
wow this is the most unorganized thread ive ever read :p

Thank you, that was very helpfull :nanahump:

Peoples-Agent
11-01-04, 11:07 AM
lol I don't have anything to say other than "lol" !
I recently RMA'ed a card that I had overclocked, and they tested it as faulty!
I chose to overclock it, I broke it, I lied well to get it refunded!

RMA your card dude, and put it down to a bad experience.

rewt
11-01-04, 11:21 AM
lol I don't have anything to say other than "lol" !
I recently RMA'ed a card that I had overclocked, and they tested it as faulty!
I chose to overclock it, I broke it, I lied well to get it refunded!

RMA your card dude, and put it down to a bad experience.

Better yet. Realize it was your own ignorance and not actually the company's fault and go BUY a new one. RMA'ing a perfectly good card (until you screwed it up) is about as :lame: as you can get. People like you is why a new video card costs us 500 dollars.

StoNer
11-01-04, 11:21 AM
just hit it with a 7oz tackhammer and say it was DOA :rolleyes:

Sgt_Pitt
11-01-04, 11:25 AM
yes i have an ultra and i lock up in BFV and DC no matter what clock speeds im running

things have gotten a little better since i...

1. made sure no other cards are sharing the same IRQ as the 6800
2. installed new intel inf drivers.
3. inastalled a nv5
4. using 66.81
5. checked for spyware
6. updated bios for m/b and vidcard
7. updated windows
8. defragged HD
9. diabled firewalls

i still get a blue screen every now and then. ive learnt to accept it, im putting it down to my psu or nvidias drivers and bfv.

jpk1080
11-01-04, 06:30 PM
man, a lot of these responses aren't worth my time. apparently several of you cannot read nor comprehend what i'm saying. i know that people have overclocking issues. thats not my ****ing concern. i want to know why its locking up specifically in that game. it doesn't lock up at stock speeds no, but neither does any other game at ultra speeds. ONLY BFV. and thank you for making the guy that said nonsensical isnt' a word feel like a douche (sorry i hypenated the ****). addressing your nv5 silencer concern. i seriously doubt its the reason your card is cutting out. are you running at 1.4 volts or the stock 1.3? also, you may try flashing your cards bios to the overclocking speeds you desire. the ultra runs at 1.4. i'm surprised you saw 20 degree differences in temps with your silencer. i think you may be exaggerating a bit as no one has gotten that drastic of a change (mostly 10 degrees and under respectively).

jpk1080
11-01-04, 06:31 PM
never said a thing about rmaing a card. just asked a few simple questions, and everyone always turns it into something like this. like many have said, if you don't have something to contribute meaning if you can't help the person, stfu and go find antoehr post. no one needs or wants to hear your critcism.

Subtestube
11-01-04, 07:12 PM
*Sigh*. We're not trying to be nasty or even unhelpful. All we're saying (in my opinion) is this:

1. Every game is different. Some games WILL lock up where others won't at certain clocks.
2. If it doesn't lock up when you're not overclocked, then that is obviously the cause of the problem.
3. As to why one game locks up where others don't, you'd need to know EVERYTHING about the way it utilised the underlying hardware. Maybe some specific part of the GPU core that's only being used really heavily in BFV is overheating just a little bit. Or possibly it's that BFV causes your computer to thrash to the main drive more and is thereby not providing enough power for the overclocked card.

Seriously, we're really not (Well... I'm really not) trying to be difficult. We're just suggesting that if overclocking really is the cause of the lockups, then it's unlikely that tweaking the game in question is going to fix your issues. You might just have to go for slightly lower clocks if you want stability in BFV.

Well, sorry we can't give you a better answer!

CaptNKILL
11-01-04, 07:47 PM
People like you is why a new video card costs us 500 dollars.
No, people that spend $500 on a new video card are the reason that new video cards cost $500. If no one bought them, they would be cheaper.

StoNer
11-01-04, 07:57 PM
but if nobody bought video cards then there would be no UBER GRAPHICS!!1!