PDA

View Full Version : Intel 1066FSB Chips Reviewed

jAkUp
10-31-04, 05:01 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2261

Not impressed. My next system is AMD for sure.

Riptide
10-31-04, 05:24 PM
Yeah what a yawner. AMD has them beat right now. :)

Daneel Olivaw
10-31-04, 06:08 PM
I've been on a 1066 bus for over a year now... and it's just for cpu clocks.

Dazz
10-31-04, 06:41 PM
Intel didn't get the peformance people wanted beacuse they are using prescott cores, so the decrease in peformance from the pipelines is only made up with the bus speed so it does nothing really.

MUYA
10-31-04, 07:06 PM
I wonder though when will Intel move to have the memory controlelr on-die like K8s?

The new CPUs beyond Dothans/Jonahs are hybrid pii/ p4 right? but any word if that will have a memory controler? That might really bring Intel upto the game with AMD

Bill The Cat
10-31-04, 07:46 PM
I hope you meant PIII, Muya :-P.

I would prefer that Intel pump up the cache with the extra real-estate rather than with an on-die MCH (But I would think I'm the minority here). Regardless, we'll likely find out when Intel tests the 65 nm waters, and we'll have a fair amount more to worry about then.

Blacklash
10-31-04, 07:59 PM
My overclocked AMD set up is a tad faster than my Intel used to be, and not by much in actual game play. Where I notice the difference in gaming is the smoother FPS, much less bottoming out to lows and even FPS drops to the twenties and teens can feel deceptively fast. Why would I hit twenties? Well games like SWG with a hard cap of 30 FPS, its going to happen. Standing around I am almost always pegged 30FPS, running around and getting into large groups of players is where I see the dips, however it is completely playable and far from annoying.

I imagine an AMD set up with two video cards in SLI and running RAID will be the on line gaming machine.

Am I glad I switched? Yes I am glad I made the switch, I can only see the AMD platform becoming better and better coupled with nForce. These cheap well overclocking 90nm chips have real potential. I can't wait to see how they develope long term.

MUYA
10-31-04, 08:07 PM
I hope you meant PIII, Muya :-P.

I would prefer that Intel pump up the cache with the extra real-estate rather than with an on-die MCH (But I would think I'm the minority here). Regardless, we'll likely find out when Intel tests the 65 nm waters, and we'll have a fair amount more to worry about then.
u be right.... :p PIII :D

ragejg
10-31-04, 08:19 PM
The fact that the good-ol' P3 architecture is still applauded really really makes me wonder what a P3 could have performed like around 1.6ghz, 166fsb with an actaully effective DDR memory interface... grr, I always wondered why they (intel, VIA) didn't do that before, and i know it was because of the need to push the netburst stuff...

Hmm, wait, isn't there a recent VIA PLE chipset for s370 C3 which has a newer generation (similar to kt333-600) DDR memory controller? :firedevil ...or is that new PLE for the proprietary nu-style VIA chips?

Well at any rate, I'm sure that a setup like that would probably go dang near toe-to-toe with a stock Barton 2500/DDR333 setup... I've always wanted to build an OC'ed DDR P3 rig...

Daneel Olivaw
10-31-04, 09:45 PM
The fact that the good-ol' P3 architecture is still applauded really really makes me wonder what a P3 could have performed like around 1.6ghz, 166fsb with an actaully effective DDR memory interface... grr, I always wondered why they (intel, VIA) didn't do that before, and i know it was because of the need to push the netburst stuff...
Can't really answer that, but my Tually Celery @1.612 (13*124MHz) runs ut2k3 just fine (256k L2 cache) (Sandra'ed at 1733MHz, forgot the score though). From what I tested at 1.612 it's equivalent to my HT Northwood (512K cache) downclocked to 1.6GHz (133MHz * 12). The ram bandwidth is godawful on the PIII though. I did run around looking for those s370 apollo pro266T board, but from what I saw, it didn't do squat better than the pro133T (I understand that's not the new VIA board you're talking about though). There were a s*load of posts on how the Tualatin was a really special design for Intel when the Willamette was the current P4. I actually think the Northwood (/w HT) is a worthy Heir to the Throne, simply because clock for clock it holds its own to the Tualatin.

Dazz
11-01-04, 04:29 AM
Centrenio is base on Pentium 3.

red_star
11-02-04, 07:56 PM
I think Intel should switch to P3 architecture and build up new P5 from it, of course with SSE2, and SSE3 instructions from P4 as well as HT technology...

red_star
11-02-04, 07:59 PM
AMD with its architecture will reach 3.0Ghz and if Intel does nothing in meantime, they are screwed for the next 5 years....

Daneel Olivaw
11-02-04, 08:30 PM
I think Intel should switch to P3 architecture and build up new P5 from it, of course with SSE2, and SSE3 instructions from P4 as well as HT technology...
So basically you want an AMD with HT. I agree ;)

circuitbreaker8
11-02-04, 08:56 PM
Intels are a joke :p