PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a new card.... nV vs ATI

Pages : [1] 2

Acclaim
10-31-04, 09:46 PM
I am in the market for a new card, and I have chosen either the 6800 gt or the x800 pro, preferably VIVO. My original choice was the 6800 gt without a doubt. However, in reading all of the griefing displayed on this board, I have rethought my decision many times. I will be getting more than enough frames in any game I play with both of these cards, but which of those frames will look the best?

Do the bugs of the 6800 series gimp the cards enough to give reason to buying a x800 pro?

Edited for choice of words, and out of respect.

theultimo
10-31-04, 09:50 PM
Both are good cards. VIVO un-modded is a little slower, and VIVO modded is a little faster.

6800's really dont have much of a prob, IMO, it's just nit-picking.

MikeC
10-31-04, 09:50 PM
Okay, I know this is most likely the wrong place to post this kind of question given the "bias" of these forums, but hey.

I am in the market for a new card, and I have chosen either the 6800 gt or the x800 pro, preferably VIVO. My original choice was the 6800 gt without a doubt. However, in reading all of the griefing displayed on this board, I have rethought my decision many times. I will be getting more than enough frames in any game I play with both of these cards, but which of those frames will look the best?

Do the bugs of the 6800 series gimp the cards enough to give reason to buying a x800 pro?

You sure are rude. If you feel the site is bias given that we are a NVIDIA fansite why ask?

Pandora's Box
10-31-04, 09:55 PM
mike dont we have enough of these threads?

Buenamos
10-31-04, 10:01 PM
actually, nvnews forums are some of the most unbiased forums involving video cards there is...if you go to many forums such as rage3d and hardocp's, you will find that there are tons and tons of fanboys. MOST of these guys give their honest opinion and realize that there are ups and downs to any card you buy. It's just a matter of your preference.

anzak
10-31-04, 10:02 PM
You sure are rude. If you feel the site is bias given that we are a NVIDIA fansite why ask?

I agree, if you think we are bias to nVidia why ask?

Anyways, if you don't mind modding your card and voiding your warranty (which could be a big deal down the road and trust me I should know) then the X800 pro ViVo is faster. It has a huge fill rate advantage. Keep in mind the X800 pro ViVo is about $20 or $40 more than a 6800GT. In the end I recommend the 6800GT because it's cheaper, supports SM3.0 and OpenEXR (see the FarCry 1.3 thread), and is faster out of the box (you won't have to void your warranty).

Celeron655
10-31-04, 10:05 PM
If your a modding person , go for a X800VIVO and mod to X800XTPE, thats what i did.

if your not in to modding get a 6800GT

both a great cards , very hard to pick.

but remember a 6800GT can run at ultra speeds too.. so yea flip a coin lol

FD76
10-31-04, 10:49 PM
yea... from my readings and experience with my own GT... MOST gt's can run at ultra speeds out of the box.. and higher with little effort.. GT is definately the best bang for the buck imo.. and tit for tat with the PE when clocked...

saturnotaku
10-31-04, 11:15 PM
Okay, I know this is most likely the wrong place to post this kind of question given the "bias" of these forums, but hey.

With a first post like this, you don't deserve to be helped on this particular matter. But if you have enough functioning brain cells, you might want to consider a little thing called the search function. It's quite useful on this forum as well as on the Internet. I suggest you try Google if you want to find comparisons detailing the performance of the video cards in question.

Now if you would like to retract your little statement above, the rest of us would be glad to help you. Be respectful to us, and we will show you the same in return.

mustrum
11-01-04, 05:49 AM
I had several modded VIVOS and finally switched over to the GT.
Performancewise the VIVO owns in 3dmark05 and the Gt in Doom3.
In real gameplay i can't see any difference. The GT is OCed to ULTRA speeds too of course.
I made the switch to the GT for stere 3D drivers mainly. The HDR in FarCry is a nice bonus but not really needed.

If stereo 3D is not important to you i can't tell you wich card to get. After having had both i can say: They are just the same! The VIVO needs to be flashed or it's slower but that's the only difference.
We never had so competitive cards until now i'd say. If you find a game where one card is faster you'll find another where the other is faster.
Conclusion: There is no winner other than the costumer. :D

K007
11-01-04, 07:15 AM
Dosent the vivo cost more than the gt? Why not score a gainwind golden spample 2600 i think comes already at a gurenteed ultra speed.

StoNer
11-01-04, 10:04 AM
Saying nV vs ATi at Rage3d might get everyone riled up, but here we dont go the way of the fanboy who thinks w/e brand he is obsessed with has absolutely everything going for it.

well some do, but i dont care THAT much to get all one sided.

Danhill
11-01-04, 12:52 PM
6800 GT all the way, you get more performance for your money than a Pro.

SH64
11-01-04, 01:02 PM
I like to be honest & tell you that nvnews is one of the few unbiased video cards websites on the net . maybe there are few biased people but that dosent count for the whole site .

as for your Q .. well i think both cards are good as you can see from my sig i have both .
you cant go wrong with any of them , but like i always say it depends on what games you play for the final disicion .

Knot3D
11-01-04, 01:15 PM
I'm not into modding myself so I can only say ;

A good brand GT for best price/performance ratio and features.

A X800XT PE if you wanna spend all that cash just to have the fastest card.

Marcos
11-01-04, 01:31 PM
If you want a solid card that you don't have to mess with - get 6800gt

If you want a card that you "might" be able to mod and you don't care about warranty - get x800pro

If you have the loot and want the best - get x800xt

If you want to get ripped off - get Volari Duo

nVestor
11-01-04, 01:40 PM
I'm a little surprised no one asked this guy to give his current system specs/configuration. For some of these poor souls, there isn't a videocard out there that is gonna make up for lack of memory and cpu power. (mag)

Acclaim
11-01-04, 04:30 PM

I only said "bias" because of the URL address and the name of the forum. I did not mean for it to include forum members' opinions.

I am very sorry if I offended you or any others in any way. I should not have used those words.

Acclaim
11-01-04, 04:34 PM
I'm a little surprised no one asked this guy to give his current system specs/configuration. For some of these poor souls, there isn't a videocard out there that is gonna make up for lack of memory and cpu power. (mag)

Pentium 4 2.8 non-c :(
512 Generic DDR400 (looking to upgrade to 1024 soon)

My main question is if the shimmering and stuttering can be overlooked? If it can, I will surely go 6800gt.

SH64
11-01-04, 04:39 PM
My main question is if the shimmering and stuttering can be overlooked? If it can, I will surely go 6800gt.

I still dont have idea about that shimmering , but as for stuttering i get that only in certain games . it can be overlooked in some of them & can be annoying in others .

saturnotaku
11-01-04, 05:00 PM
I only said "bias" because of the URL address and the name of the forum. I did not mean for it to include forum members' opinions.

I am very sorry if I offended you or any others in any way. I should not have used those words.

Spoken like a true gentleman. :)

For what it's worth, every GeForce 6800 card I've owned (had 2 Ultras and a GT) on either a P4 or Athlon 64 machine didn't exhibit any of the stuttering or shimmering problems as reported on this forum. I did make sure to have fastwrites disabled before installing drivers and so forth.

I would still recommend the 6800 GT over the X800 Pro because of the former's 16 pipeline architecture compared to the 12 of the X800 Pro. If you are concerned about the potential problems that you have read about here (and I don't fault you for that in the least) but you do decide to purchase the GT, make sure you acquire it from a retailer that has a good return policy. You may get hit for a lot of sales tax, but for the peace of mind, you might want to purchase at a place like Best Buy, CompUSA or Fry's. That way if you have a problem, you can return the card for a refund or exchange it for what you want.

Good luck, and again, if you want to learn more about some of the highs and lows of the 6800, check out our reviews and do a search through the forum archives. You can and will learn a lot.

john19055
11-01-04, 06:25 PM
I have not notice any shimmering on my 6800ultra but if you want VIVO go with the X800Pro since the Gt or Ultra does not have this feature.as for as speed the Gt would be better than the X800pro but if you mod the X800pro to a XT then it is going to be faster unless you get a good overclock on the GT then it will be a little closer in some games.

Acclaim
11-01-04, 10:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the input! I do believe I am going to purchase a 6800GT unless I can find a x800 pro VIVO for roughly the same price.

ChrisRay
11-01-04, 10:24 PM

I think alot of people didnt care based on his initial introduction.

kahloq
11-01-04, 10:50 PM
My oppinion is for the 6800GT. I have both a 6800GT and a 6800Ultra and they both run flawlessly. No stuttering, no problems at all.