PDA

View Full Version : Slow Far Cry in some outdoor scenes? 128MB not enough?

THE VIKING
11-01-04, 09:31 AM
It looks like Far Cry is one of those games. I now have my BFG GeForce 6800 OC running with all 16 pipelines and 6 vertex shaders enabled. I've also clocked it at 350MHz core and 760MHz memory. The card definitely performs better in all my games and benchmarks, but I think I'm still hobbled by the 128MB or DDR RAM. In Far Cry, some outdoor scenes are REALLY slow, especially the scene before you blow up the communications tower. My thinking is that I don't have enough memory on the card. I didn't have this problem when I had the 6800 GT. All other games including Far Cry seem to run the same. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks for the input.

Chippy
11-01-04, 09:37 AM
As a matter of interest, why did you get rid of the GT?

Chip

anzak
11-01-04, 09:42 AM
It looks like Far Cry is one of those games. I now have my BFG GeForce 6800 OC running with all 16 pipelines and 6 vertex shaders enabled. I've also clocked it at 350MHz core and 760MHz memory. The card definitely performs better in all my games and benchmarks, but I think I'm still hobbled by the 128MB or DDR RAM. In Far Cry, some outdoor scenes are REALLY slow, especially the scene before you blow up the communications tower. My thinking is that I don't have enough memory on the card. I didn't have this problem when I had the 6800 GT. All other games including Far Cry seem to run the same. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks for the input.

I had crappy performance while playing through it on my GT. Some places would easily drop into the 20's for no reason what so ever. Since we both have older processors this could be the problem. You could try upping your AGP aperture to 512 (half of your system memory).

DJMONDY
11-01-04, 09:53 AM
My performance can somtimes drop into the 20's in far cry and ive got a 3.2p4 and a 6800 Ultra.

Ive been told that my processor is a bottleneck in this game and that its nothing to do with my 6800U.

Im not that bothered tho coz i usually get tripple the fps i used to get with my 5900U in certain areas.

Im not gonna bother overclocking anything as im not interested in frying a 400 card but i would like better performance without the damage!!

DJMONDY

ATI_Dude
11-01-04, 11:24 AM

In outdoor scenes Far Cry performance is limited by the CPU and memory sub system rather than the VPU. This is because the CPU does all computations related to AI and physics. Indoor peformance is much better because the draw distance is shorter and fever objects are visible. In other words a faster graphics card won't do you much good during most outdoor scenes unless you upgrade your CPU as well.

Elvin Presler
11-01-04, 12:58 PM
Just FYI:

Mine also drops to the low 30's in some outdoor areas and as high as 140 in some indoor places. Also, I've found since 1.3, it runs just about the same at 1024x768 Very High (SM3.0) settings as it does at 1024x768, Medium settings!

XP2700
1 gig PC2700
BFG 6800GT

saturnotaku
11-01-04, 02:06 PM
The frame rate dips in Far Cry appear to be a problem specific to NVIDIA cards. In playing the game with my system below and a 6800 Ultra, there were several moments where my frame rate would drop into the 30s. With my present X800 Pro, this does not happen nearly as often. I've not tried the game on a GeForce 6-series and the 1.3 patch, though.

ATI_Dude
11-01-04, 02:19 PM
The frame rate dips in Far Cry appear to be a problem specific to NVIDIA cards. In playing the game with my system below and a 6800 Ultra, there were several moments where my frame rate would drop into the 30s. With my present X800 Pro, this does not happen nearly as often. I've not tried the game on a GeForce 6-series and the 1.3 patch, though.

Tried an X800 Pro as well and generally exprienced the same slowdowns. It did however ran the "boat" level a bit smoother. With Nvidia cards you'll experience a tremendous slowdown when you get ashore the first area where you pick up the explosives. It litterally crawls at a snail's pace in one particular spot below some palm trees. I didn't get these slowdowns with the X800 Pro, but average frame rate was lower compared to my 6800 Ultra (no surprise). However most of the time slowdowns are related to CPU (AI, physics) not graphics cards.

jAkUp
11-01-04, 04:47 PM
I get slowdowns too... and I got a 3.6ghz... My A64 upgrade is long overdue