PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2... Arcade Game??!!

jAkUp
11-01-04, 12:44 PM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041101/hl2.htm

TAITO corp. will release Half-Life 2 for arcade video in the summer of 2005. The selling price or the playing fee is not yet determined. Half-Life 2 is the latest product of Valve's Half-Life series for Windows FPS game. This Windows game will be released on 17 Nov. in Japan (by CyberFront corp), and on 16 Nov. in Western countries. Although the game isn't released yet, many people are attracted by its amazing visual quality. TAITO will develop this arcade video game on their original board 'Type X.' The arcade video game board 'Type X' uses Windows XP Embedded, which can apply development kits for Windows.

Based on original HL2, it will be customized to have three game modes: 'Story mode' - original singleplay mode, 'Batlle mode' - multiplayer realtime match that players can join from all over the country, and 'Mission mode' - multiplayer mission co-op battle. Communication system will be 'TATIO NESYS(Net-Entry-SYStem),' which have been running such as Battle Gear 3 and Zoid Infinity. Playing data will be stored on servers so people can play at penny arcade throughout the country.

It is planned the chassis is going to have a ****pit-style sheet, a wide-screen and 5.1ch surround which is giving a presence unique to arcade. The type of a playing controller isn't determined yet.

Starting in Japan, the company consider unfolding to the whole world as Half-Life 2 has a high worldwide attention.

:retard:

Gaco
11-01-04, 12:47 PM
Heh, at first I thought that you were talking about the little "Codename Gordon" game at steam, but apparently not :p

I can't really image a HL2 game based in that description, I wonder what it will be like...?

Edge
11-01-04, 01:07 PM
Well that's an...interesting...idea...though I have no idea why they would pick HL2 as the foundation for an arcade game. Wouldn't UT2004, or CS:S, or Doom 3 have been better picks? Odd that they'd do this in Japan, over there FPS games are about as popular as dating simulators are over here.

steamedrice
11-01-04, 01:10 PM
bleh arcades are dying out and hl2 ain't going to help it. The only games I see people playing at the arcades are daytona, DDR, tekken, or mvc2

jAkUp
11-01-04, 01:12 PM
Me remembers back to arcades and Mortal Kombat 1...

ahhhh.. the memories :)

Edge
11-01-04, 01:56 PM
Dayyyytoooonaaaaaa, lets go away, lets go away, Dayyyyyyyyytoooooooonaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Sorry, supressed memories are coming back...

Bad_Boy
11-01-04, 11:55 PM
acade machine with a mouse and keyboard...rofl :ORDER:

MUYA
11-02-04, 12:02 AM
Daytona Rocked and Killer Instinct...but long before that!!

Top Gun!! werhey!! Outrunner!!! even street Fighter!

Fighter 1942 etc

them be great games

CaptNKILL
11-02-04, 01:16 AM
Me remembers back to arcades and Mortal Kombat 1...

ahhhh.. the memories :)
Yes, good times :)

I remember going in there and blowing a dollar just to play the game once. I remember going home and telling my brother how amazing this game looked. I did horrible when i played it (too many buttons!) but it sure looked amazing back then :D

It sure was great when I finally got it for SNES. That was a cool game, although I dont think I ever really did any of the special moves. I prefered just tripping them to death and breezing through the game that way.
:rolleyes:

theultimo
11-02-04, 03:46 AM
And the main reason i have a MAME arcade box w/cabinet is to play those old, supressed, memories :)

BTW, Daytona USA is playable, but not great yet :)

GlowStick
11-02-04, 01:19 PM
if i recall, Doom was in an arcade box at one time : ) very rare however.

jAkUp
11-02-04, 01:21 PM
I remember seeing quake at the arcades. You used a roller to control the character.